• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Ok, so on an implulse last week I got a barely used Chiappa 1911-22 pistol. Felt good in my hand and the price was right at $229. Not being familiar with the maker or the gun, I googled it on my phone at the show and quickly found an NRA review stating 25000 rounds with no equipment failures. No brainer I thought; done deal.

1911_1.jpg

Off to the range the following day... failure to fire, miss feed, shoot, miss feed, shoot, failure to extract, and so on. Not good. I go home and do some more surfing to find numerouse complaints on this gun, but some that say it's solid. Not one to take things at face value, I tear it down to see what's up. I should note that a friend purchase the same gun at the show new and he was having some feed issues, but nothing close to what I was experiencing. We were using Winchester Wildcats, Winchester M22, CCI Mini Mag Hollow Points, and Blazer. The CCI's and M22's seemed to run the best, but by no means reliable.
    First thing I noticed on take down was all the factory grease that was still everywhere in the slide and frame rails. Unlikely the first owner ever even bothered to take it appart.
    Clean up all that crap and oil it.
    I next inspected the feed ramp - steep, like a Beretta Neo's 22... feeling around at the top of the chamber was a burr of some sort. I gently worked a flat head screw driver around it and confirmed this imperfection. Then not so gently, I got rid of it... :dunno:

1911_3.jpg

Feeding a bullet by hand before and after this, the difference was huge in both entry and extraction. This made me happy.
    Next issue was extraction. Having the luxury of a new and identical piece to examine, I payed close attention to slide recoil and other details that seemed to varry between the two guns.
    There was definately an extractor problem on my gun. Broken or extremely weak spring was the cause.
    I drove out the pin and removed the extractor; the spring was not broken. Much to the pain of my finger nails, I managed to stretch the extractor spring about an eighth inch and then replaced it. Far superior action on the extractor was then noted. I also stretched the main spring out about and inch and a half. Action on the gun was then much better.
    Back to the range.

1911_2.jpg

Results were good. My friend's new one seemed to work fine after just a cleaning. He was running Federal Bulk and in over 100 rounds had only 1 failure to fire, on the first round of a mag, likely not racking the slide enough.
    Mine seemed like a different gun. 100 rounds of M22 yielded zero failures to extract and 2 failures to fire that were likely due to my limp wristing. You cannot limp wrist this gun. The spring is way too soft and it simply will not return the slide correctly.
    90 rounds of blazer was completely different. Four failures to extract, and 7 failures to feed completely into the chamber.
    Photos below are of the blazer 22 ammo and the white lines point to the dents in the bullets caused durring the miss feeds. The last photo shows one of the last blazers I tried to put throught it before saying poo and going back to the M22's for good. As you can see, the bullet is actually bent.

In any event, I think a lot of the bad press on these guns is a bit excessive. I got a used one, that the owner likely shot and said junk... but with a bit of common sense care and adjustment, I think this makes a great and cheap plinker that feels great in the hand and is a hoot to shoot.
    If you are counting pennies, it is the way to go over the other 1911-22's on the market. (unless there's one I don't know of)

1911_4.jpg

1911_5.jpg

Last edited:

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    Great review, especially the solutions to the gun's operation.
    I am going to be purchasing a 22 pistol this coming week and will have to take a look at these.

canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    Thanks for the review. A special thanks for not just complaining, but seeking and finding a solution to the problem. I have thought about buying one of these, but I have heard of their problems. Since the solution sounds simple, I can handle a bargain for the price of some elbow grease.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    For me, it all boiled down to $400 for the sig... $230 for this... big difference. I love love love my sig p238, but i also trust my life with it. The Chiappa is a plinking range pistol that feels great in the hand and is hella fun to shoot.
    For what it's worth, the manual does state to use "quality ammo" and fire 3-500 rounds for break in, oiling ever 100 rounds. Do people really do that? Probably not. Probably a lot of the problem on these as well.
    In any event, I hope my experience with it will help some folks out with them if they do have issues. In the end, i'm enjoying the cheap fun.

rlidgard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    NWI
    i had one. not bad.it is picky. i found the remington subsonics shot the best. not one misfeed. as far as acuracy. out of the box i was 8 inches left. adjusted the sight. and was accurate

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I would say the accuracy if fine. Is it going to out shoot my neos? no way, but it's not supposed to. I will say it tumbles rounds compared to my other .22's.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I got one yesterday and it was 100 percent reliable on my first range trip and I got it filthy used literally. It was very dirty inside and out but to me a great buy at $210. My 8 year old son loves it. I am keeping this one.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    My Experience

My experience with my Chiappa has been as follows:
    Once you get past the 200-300 round break in period, it is a good
    running pistol. I am about at the 2000-2500 round mark now, and
    can shoot hundreds of rounds, with minimal issues.
    Never dry fire these pistols, not even once.
    Use only high velocity ammo.
    Keep it clean. I clean mine after each range use. Very easy to break down
    and assemble.
    If you can get one of these cheap enough, buy it. I have seen them in Ohio
    for $219. If not, spend the extra, and get a GSG.
    My 2 cents.

AuburnGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Auburn, Indiana
    I have looked at several 1911 22's. I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I think I may get something different. I really really want a KelTec PMR30 I think....

The weight does seem heavy for most of these, but then again most 1911 frames have some weight to them.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    " You cannot limp wrist this gun. The spring is way too soft and it simply will not return the slide correctly."

Okay, I've gotta ask... just how limp would your wrist have to be to "limp wrist" a .22?? :n00b:

Top Bottom