• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I tried looking through the US firearms code... but sheesh...talk about a lot of pages! Still working on a definitive answer.

Keep in mind that the issue isn't whether or not a holster maker needs a FFL... its whether they can possess someone's firearm without the owner on premesis without an FFL.

Unless you have some proof to the contrary all you've done is derail a review thread with inaccurate FUD because you decided to post your "opinion" of the law instead of posting something factually based, which is actually damaging to the cause of firearms ownership. Moreover the accusation that this was in any way illegal really doesn't pass the sniff test, I let friends borrow guns to go to the range, and that's a lot more activity than what is essentially measuring the gun. You shouldn't ever post what you think is true until you KNOW it's true as fact.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    DISCUSSION board...

FACT: A gunsmith needs an FFL to keep a person's gun without the owner being present. This is whether any work is actually performed on the gun or not.

FACT: Lending a gun to a buddy is perfectly legal.

What I'm trying to nail down: Whether or not a holster maker (operating as such as a business, even a side business) might need one in order to possess someone's firearm without them being present / overnight.

And yes, I've done a fantastic job of derailing this thread. Mea culpa.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Whew, really had to break out the INGO search-fu, but here you go:

You will have to have an FFL, and if doing business in IN will have to have a Tax ID.
    From the ATFE website

Q: Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms? Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer.
    [27 CFR 478.11]
    Q: Does a gunsmith need to enter in a permanent “bound book” record every firearm received for adjustment or repair? If a firearm is brought in for repairs and the owner waits while it is being repaired or if the gunsmith is able to return the firearm to the owner during the same business day, it is not necessary to list the firearm in the “bound book” as an “acquisition.” If the gunsmith has possession of the firearm from one business day to another or longer, the firearm must be recorded as an “acquisition” and a “disposition” in the permanent "bound book" record.
    Q: Is an ATF Form 4473 required when a gunsmith returns a repaired firearm? No, provided the firearm is returned to the person from whom it was received.
    [27 CFR 478.124(a)]

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/89321-gunsmith_license.html

DISCUSSION board...

FACT: A gunsmith needs an FFL to keep a person's gun without the owner being present. This is whether any work is actually performed on the gun or not.

What I'm trying to nail down: Whether or not a holster maker (operating as such as a business, even a side business) might need one in order to possess someone's firearm without them being present / overnight.

:dunno:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    DISCUSSION board...

If the guy was working on the gun, yes to the FFL! Not working on the gun, just possessing it, IMO, NO FFL!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Saying a holster maker is a gun smith is like saying the guy who built your garage is a mechanic.

Yes, but is it illegal for the garage builder to keep your car overnight to make sure it will fit in the garage?:dunno: I heard somewhere that is illegal.

Top Bottom