• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    A quick review on the Fenix LD01 mini flashlight.

LD01R5SS1.jpg

This isn't something I would normally purchase, and through some luck, I didn't purchase this one either. I won it in a drawing on another forum :)

First off, this thing is awesome! LOTS of light in a TINY package. I didn't appreciate the size from the pictures Ive seen on the web until I had it in my fat little hands! And talk about BRIGHT!

IMG_1619.jpg

This version is the solid stainless steel special edition of the light. Price on this light is about $50 for the 'special edition' version, and about $35 for the normal version. It is waterproof, and includes an extra o-ring seal and a key chain ring. The light is an LED with three brightness settings, 77 lumens, 28 lumens, and 3 lumens. The light uses a single AAA battery, and has a rated battery life of 1.5 hrs, 3 hrs, and 27 hrs respectively. To turn the light on or off, you unscrew the front portion about an 1/8th turn. To transition between the different brightness settings, you simply turn the light off, then back on, with in 2 seconds. After being off for any time longer than that, it will always start out on the 28 lumens setting, which is more than bright enough for most flashlight use. I compared this light to a Gen1 Surefire 6PDL which is rated at 80 lumens, and this light is easily as bright as the surefire, and I think actually puts out a better/more even pattern. The Surefire has a very bright spot in the center, where this light has a very even and consistant light beam. Granted, these two lights uses are targeted in different directions, I think its is impressive that this one will hold its on against the Surefire.

On top of all of this, the quality appears to be top notch! One of the tale tell signs of inferior quality for me is usually the threads on something. Junk parts, regardless of country of origin, have junk threads. Everything on this light, including the threads, are top notch! Good clean finish lines, smooth lines, and overall great quality! I'm sold! I will have no problem in the future buying another Fenix light, in fact I think Ill look for one at the next 1500 show in Indy :)

Im still unsure of the way I will utalize this light. Since it has a key chain ring, I might try it on my keys for a while. Though I hate having lots of junk on there. I had another thought about keeping it in my glove box for those times when you need a light in the car, but I had always envisioned a light in this kind of 'storage' using CR123 batteries that have a 10 year shelf life. Decisions, decisions. ;)

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I've found that I can twist it on and off with one hand, but a rear click would be easier. I carry on every day, just tossed in my pocket. The front does collect lint, but easily cleaned out.

Not a bright light. But sometimes bright enough.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Yeah, its not super bright, but its bright for its size!!

evan - I think they do have a pocket clip available. Ive seen pics of the regular version with one.

Top Bottom