• ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I’m a fairly new in the reloading arena. I set up a reloading bench with an RCBS Rockchucker single stage press and went at it!

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ding/116529-built_my_own_reloading_bench.html

As I was looking at all the parts you need for reloading, I saw the Hornady Press and Die Bushing Kit and was intrigued. Even though the title has “Lock-N-Load” in it, these bushings are for any press using a 1 ¼” x 12 thread. I figured that it would be to my advantage to be able to move between the various dies without having to re-set the die settings every time.

Package of Hornady bushings
    28s387d.jpg

The system requires the purchase of a conversion kit that has the large threaded adaptor and three bushings.

Die bushing conversion kit with the threaded adaptor and three bushings, $14.99
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=858110

For other die sets, you buy packs of three bushings for $12 and put them on all your dies.

Pack of three bushings, $11.49
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=277407

The existing threaded receiver is removed and the Hornady receiver is installed. One comment on the Hornady part. It didn’t have hex sides, just round. So you have to snug it down with a pipe wrench or adjustable jaw pliers being careful not to mar it.

RCBS Rockchucker single stage press
    10f57ro.jpg

Top of press with factory receiver nut
    2cmwtjm.jpg

Top of the press with the Hornady outer bushing being screwed in
    vgr6g5.jpg

Each die gets one of the inner bushings installed.

Example of dies with bushings on them
    3493ogh.jpg

Die installed in the press
    3013jox.jpg

It’s worked out better than I anticipated! Once each die has been set the way I like I, just snug the lock ring down on the bushing and leave it alone. It is so quick to move between dies! You just insert the die and twist an eighth of a turn or so and the busing locks in. Removing it is also done by hand, no tools.

When you’re processing brass you can do it in lots and easily go back and forth between the sizer and expander die. If you’re seating bullets and need some more brass, just plug in the sizer, then the expander, then back to the seater die and all your settings are intact!

I checked the rounds I was making to make sure there was no movement in critical specifications after several cycles of the bushing being taken out and put in. There was none.

There have been times when I wanted to size and decap just a few pieces of brass and the bushing made it simple to do. Other times I found a box of rounds that were just a bit too long. No problem…pop in the seater die and cycle through the rounds, take the die out and go back to what I was working on.

Is there anything I don’t like about the bushing system? Sure. Because the bushings don’t have hex sides, it’s harder to hold them steady while setting up the die. I’m probably wanting to lock things down with more force than is really necessary. It’s an old habit…I’ve torqued the heads off many bolts and screws by “tightening it just a bit more….” :D

This system is a simple idea and has been a pleasant improvement in my reloading system.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Nice system. I have a Hornady LNL AP. It is my most used press now. One thing I have noticed like the OP, I have had my powder charger bushing rotate (Loosen) a few times. I ground two flat sides on all my bushing's enabling me to snug them up with a adjustable wrench. That cured my problem. I intend to buy a conversion kit for my rock crusher presses.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    You had mentioned this when we were together last Saturday. I was looking it up yesterday and couldn't find it. I was looking under "Lyman" instead. I was going to send you a PM today for details and you beat me to it.

Top Bottom