Review of Holosun EPS Carry pistol mounted optic.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Let me start off by making apologies. I am not a photographer. Anyway, recently I replaced the Holosun 507k on my Sig 365XL with a Holosun EPS Carry. I have had questions as to why. There was nothing wrong with the 507k. It has been on that gun for at least a couple of years now with no issues. I just wanted to give an enclosed optic a try, but don't want to try one of those monstrosities like the ACRO or MPS on one of my full size guns but this looked like a good fit. It was tough finding one in stock and I eventually got a 6 MOA model from GT Distributors for around $350. This model does not come with the solar back up, you need to get the multi reticle model for that and it is about $75 more. Holosun optics, like most things have really crept up there in price. I am definitely not using them to save money over American brands, but because of their innovation.

The installation on my Sig was fairly straight forward. Take old optic off, clean up threads in gun, put new optic on, torque screws to 15 inch pounds and let cure. Between the cut itself and the 2 bosses there is a fair amount of support and I always prefer direct mount when possible. After a couple of range sessions and making sure the zero stayed and the screws were still torqued, I marked their position with a paint pencil.

Quality of the Holosun optics for me has been good from a functioning standpoint. I have had I think 6 of them on pistols now and none have failed. That is unfortunately more than I can say for any of the other brands I use, including Trijicon. Their fit and finish do leave a little bit to be desired, as a case in point I often see glue "overspray" on the edges of the lens. There have been some complaints on distortion at the edges of these EPS carry units but I have not seen it on mine.

I have been to the range twice now with this gun and optic combo and so far so good. It zeroed very easily the first time, and I checked it again today and it was still good. There was finally some sun today and I will say the dot did fine at 2 below the brightest setting. With back to sun it did not wash out, when facing low angle sun, something that can be a problem for many optics, it did not produce a ghost dot like my SRO often does. There was some light splatter but that was not hard to differentiate from the dot itself.

As far as performance I will say that for me, small windows, especially since they are on small guns usually are harder to use. They tend to be harder to pick up initially and harder to not lose during recoil. This is usually not a problem when both hands are on the gun, but some of the drills I have ran so far were one handed and I did notice it there. Of course some of that is lack of practice with my small carry gun as I have been doing much more with my Staccato C2.
    I will also point out that I went with the 6 MOA dot on this one instead of the multi reticle dot like on my 507k. I had pretty much been using that in the circle dot mode as it was easier to pick up and more resistant to wash out. Of course it also used up the battery much faster in that mode.

So, is this enclosed unit better than the open unit it replaced? The jury is still out on that. I will say it is easier to clean the rear glass.

PXL_20230115_234439423.MP.jpg PXL_20230115_234457404.MP.jpg PXL_20230115_234619851.MP.jpg

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Thanks for the review. Would you consider going with one of the solar MRS models that are an option now for a little more money or no?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Thanks for the review. Would you consider going with one of the solar MRS models that are an option now for a little more money or no?
    I assume you are speaking of the SCS? I have only shot one on a friend's M&P. It has some good points. I liked the direct mount and the low profile. I am not sure about the whole solar only charging thing, but maybe. Of course for now you are back to the whole it is not enclosed issue, but as I have mentioned elsewhere, I don't see that as a necessity unless it is for duty use.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I too just replaced a 507k with the EPS carry MRS. Have not shot it much but so far the experience is similar to the 507k but don’t get the lint buildup on the rear lens. I am liking the auto brightness you get with the MRS. Also, they are currently available for about $350 if you look hard and am fortunate that my LGS will come close to or match a verified online price.

1710809950473.jpeg

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I too just replaced a 507k with the EPS carry MRS. Have not shot it much but so far the experience is similar to the 507k but don’t get the lint buildup on the rear lens. I am liking the auto brightness you get with the MRS. Also, they are currently available for about $350 if you look hard and am fortunate that my LGS will come close to or match a verified online price.

View attachment 340934
    Looks good. The only reason I am hesitant Is because I wanted to Vulcan reticle

Last edited:

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I have one on an M&P 2.0 compact. I very much like it. I really have little interest in open emitters on a defensive pistol.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    It has done well.
    Ditto, same combo except went with MRS & solar backup, no issues. Albeit still in it's infancy, ha.

One minor issue encountered with the SCS (on a different pistol) is that it would collect soot on the front of the glass. After only few doz rounds (factory, not reloads). Don't get any of that with 507 Holosuns. The glass on the SCS sits further back under the hood, maybe it's a factor, maybe not. Need a sponsor to support some testing, lol.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Ditto, same combo except went with MRS & solar backup, no issues. Albeit still in it's infancy, ha.

One minor issue encountered with the SCS (on a different pistol) is that it would collect soot on the front of the glass. After only few doz rounds (factory, not reloads). Don't get any of that with 507 Holosuns. The glass on the SCS sits further back under the hood, maybe it's a factor, maybe not. Need a sponsor to support some testing, lol.
    Does that different pistol have an LCI (loaded chamber indicator) at the top of the barrel/chamber in front of the optic?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Looks good. The only reason I am hesitant Is because I wanted to Vulcan reticle
    The cheater ring on my 507c is a pretty big enhancement on a gun that doesn't allow for cowitnessing. Great feature for beginner dot shooters, too. I wish Holosun did it across all their pistol dots and allowed it to be selected on or off. My eyes like the circle dot better than the chevron but far as I know none of them have the big ring.

I know you're supposed to train perfect presentation but IMO the world isn't a flat range and anything that helps you cheat a visual path to dot acquisition is valuable.

Top Bottom