slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    pact1.jpg

Feedback.

Getting an objective measure of performance is tough. Getting one with firearms is even more so. It is vital for those who shoot gun games and those who shoot for more serious reasons to get that feedback in convenient forms that are easy to understand, interpret, and apply. Enter, the PACT MkIV XP.

Overview
    The PACT MkIV is a combination of a shooting timer and chronograph. While it is larger than any other timer currently available, it is still small enough that it is handy. It includes a spring belt clip that holds the timer securely to your person while training at the range. The keypad is simple and the display is easy to read. The unit is powered by one 9V battery and features an auto-Off function if not used for a period of time.

pact3.jpg

Timer
    Why do you need a timer? Whether you shoot steel, USPSA, IDPA, 3-gun or you shoot for defensive purposes, knowing how long it takes you to do, well...anything is a key piece of information. Does shooting that array on the move take more or less time than getting into a position and engaging all of the targets standing still? Is going urban prone to shoot under the car faster or slower than shooting around the side of the car? Without the feedback of a timer you are guessing. When the prize or your life is on the line guessing doesn't cut it.

The timer function on the MkIV XP includes instant and delayed beeps. The delay is programmable for a set or random time period of your choosing. It also includes a Par time feature, which is an outstanding training aid. For example, if you have a goal of a 3.0 second El Presidente drill, you can set a par time of 3.3 (add 0.3 for the beep) and set the timer for Random Go. Was that 12th shot in under three seconds. With the MkIV XP you won't have to guess you'll know. How long did the first shot or reload take? Hit he Review button and find out. Real feedback delivered instantly.

Let's go a bit deeper. Say you're shooting a classifier that includes a reload in the middle of the string. And, you want to complete that reload in 2.0 seconds after your last shot. Hit the Key button and tell the timer you want a second beep after the 8th shot. You can use the same feature to give you times for getting into and out of positions (I'm thinking of a V-TAC barricade drill as I type this). That kind of feedback can be difference between staying in C-class for another few months or moving on to B and then A, and then...

I owned an original MkIV for 10 years before I upgraded to the XP. It is a fantastic, easy to use and feature filled training aid.

Chronogrph
    If you reload, shoot rifles, or shoot moving targets then you need a chronograph.

If I ran things at Dillon Precision, there woudn't be a loader that left my docks that didn't include a MarkIV XP in the box. Why? Safety first. Yeah, ThisIsTheBesLoadDataBookEver says that X.X grains of Unique will push XXX grain XXX bullet in XX caliber XXXX feet per second. Well, guess how they get those numbers? They do it in labs. Not black labs, but in those labs with guys in white long coats and extra long, extra tight test barrels. They are using scientific grade measuring devices, not some beam scale like you picked up at some auction.

The only way to know if XX grains gets me XXXX fps out of MY gun is to put it over a chronograph. Period. End of discussion. Any questions? No. Good.

Safety aside, chronographs are great tools to help you maximize the performance of your pistol or rifle. How far does this bullet drop at, say 500 yds? Sure, the ballistics tables from the manufacturer tells gives you an idea. But, does an idea put that bullet on target the first shot? Nope. Maybe you shoot a lot and the barrels is a bit slower now than it was out of the box. Maybe your powder de jour is a bit temperature sensitive. With a chronograph there is no guess work.

I've been using the MkIV chronograph since I started shooting in ten years ago. The operation could not be more simple, plug the wires in, set the sensors in front of you and start shooting. Feedback is instant.

Need to know your USPSA or IDPA power factor - it calculates it for you. How close to the ragged edge are you? Do show up to that major match guessing - know. One of the very last things I do before I load a batch of practice or match ammo before a major is to break out the chrono. It's also one of the last things I do before I pack my bags. I want to concentrate on performance, not the match's chronograph or my ammo. The MarkIV help yo with that.

pact3.jpg

In addition to feedback on speed, you also get feedback on consistency. Over any string of fire over the MkIV XP's sensors you'll get a full statistical analysis including Hi, Low, Extreme Spread and Standard Deviation. Is that new powder really working for you? Find out just how good it is or isn't.

Improvements
    One notable improvement over the previous model is sound control. The original MkIV had only one tone and volume control was marginal (I know I never adjusted mine). The new model has multiple adjustments for volume and tone. Including a reasonable level that makes indoor dryfire practice tolerable for those who aren't practicing. For outdoors, there is a wake-the-dead volume, which is handy for that zombie practice you've been jonesing for.

For those wanting to get way down in the weeds, you can download data from the MkIV to your PC via a program available from PACT. It allows you to save and print strings of fire and other data for analysis later.

Two essential tools - One convenient package

As a competition shooter, I need a training tool that gives me immediate feedback on my how quickly (or in most cases, how slowly) I'm doing things like getting my first shot off, reloading the gun, and getting from one position to another. As a reloader and rifle shooter, I need definitive data on ammo performance that let's me know I'm being safe and maxing out the potetential of both my guns and the ammo components. For under $300 (including IR skyscreens), I get both.

I bought my first MkIV ten years ago. I expect as much service from my MkIV XP.

PACT Inc. - Home

Original thread here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...iv_xp_championship_timer_and_chronograph.html

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom