• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    This is a review of an all leather holster from Pure Kustom. At first, I was concerned that with a name like Black Ops, it would have some tactical logo somewhere but only had his maker's mark, unless you ask for special artwork.

IMG_2605.jpg

IMG_2608.jpg

The maker states his holsters are almost the same stiffness as horsehide. He shows a 10 lb weight on the mouth of one of his holsters and it stays open. I have never had it collapse on me. It has good moisture resistance. I wore it one day in 90+ degree heat to push mow my yard which took 2 1/2 hours and it remained stiff.

The color is even and rich. The boning is very good and my 1911 fit like the proverbial hand in a glove. It was tight at first and I did have to wrap the pistol in the plastic bag overnight to stretch the holster just enough.
    IMG_2610.jpg

The fit is snug enough to retain my all steel 1911 upside down but allow for an easy draw.
    IMG_2617.jpg

The body shield has a deep thumb safety groove that secures the thumb safety in the on position very securely.
    IMG_2609.jpg

IMG_2612.jpg

I did have to trim just a smidgen of the rear top of the body shield to allow for a good grip using a thumb on top of thumb safety hold.

Due to his design with multiple holes for the screws to attach the loops and the belt slots, it can be worn in 27 positions IWB and one OWB with the slots. It rides nice and tight against my body and I find I can get a good grip and draw easily. With one of my holsters, I have to dig my thumb into my side to get a grip on the pistol. This model can be worn tucked. I am 5'7'' with a 33 in waist for size comparison. I wore white pants and a white tight fitting T shirt to show how well it hides.
    IMG_2621.jpg

IMG_2636.jpg

I could never draw my pistol from the holster without it riding up due to front loop riding up with the holster. This did not happen with the back loop. I made my own loop with a thin strip of leather glued over a thin band of steel and it works very well. I suppose if I stretched the holster a bit more this would not happen but I like the current retention. i have not read on the Errornet that anyone else has complained of this, so I may be an anomaly.
    IMG_2642.jpg

IMG_2643.jpg

On his website, the maker says he now makes snap loops which would allow for a quicker on/off option.

This holster is not cheap, but when all the options and the quality are considered, I feel it is priced fairly.

I just reviewed my review and realize I forgot to include an outside the waistband photo
    IMG_2637.jpg

Another feature of this holster is that it does not require any reinforcement of the mouth such as an extra leather strip or metal or kydex band.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Top Bottom