• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Got home from running around today, and found a present in my mailbox. My holster had arrived! I was hoping this would get here in time for me to write a review for this contest, and was saving it to be my first :)

As I've said more than once, I generally prefer leather holsters to kydex, but I've heard and read so much about Raven Concealment's holsters that I wanted to try one out. I bought one that I thought was a Raven holster, and it was a nice enough holster, but turned out it wasn't. Tom from Raven Concealment went out of his way to expedite a real Raven Concealment holster to me, and this holster shows the difference between an okay holster like the one I had and the Uncle Mikes paddle holster that I've been using (and actually like,) and a truly quality holster. Unfortunately, much of that difference is simply impossible to properly convey in writing. No matter how much I've read about Raven's holsters, I simply couldn't figure out what the big deal was about just another plastic holster.

Well, it took about three seconds after sliding this beauty out of the box to figure out the difference. It's a premium holster, and it just FEELS like it. Every edge is wonderfully rounded off, not a sharp edge anywhere to poke, prod, cut or irritate. Instead of just slapping two pieces of kydex together and calling it quits, the edges are melded together, they look like one piece. The detail molding looks like beautiful hand boning that I like so much on a nice leather holster. The holster is about the size of a leather pancake holster, though shaped a little differently, but much thinner and lighter. Can't exactly express why, but even before sliding the gun into the holster I was already heavily impressed.

Then, I unloaded my gun, slid it in, and was in love. Ka-thunk... the gun locked into the holster, and they fit together almost like they were one piece. Once in, the gun absolutely, positively does not move. Not even a tiny bit, not even when I'm yanking around on it trying to make it move. It is flat out locked in. This reduces wear on the finish, it reduces wear on my body from have a couple pounds always wiggling around, and it's how things should be. It locked in so tight, in fact, that I was seriously worried about how hard it would be to draw, especially after I turned the gun upside down and shook the daylights out of it, and the gun didn't budge.

Decided to answer that question, and strapped the gun and holster on. The gun takes a definite pull to get out, but it is not difficult, it is not slow, and it does not feel locked in. I like it. It's very fast, very natural, and provides excellent retention with no hassles. On the subject of retention, Cathy tried to get behind me to draw the gun, and could not do so. This caused me to try with the gun pulled back at an angle, and it just seemed to lock in, which I really like. Doesn't cause any problems whatsoever with drawing the gun. I was concerned because cheapo Fobus holsters lock the gun in really well, too, but I think they are a pain to draw, you have to get the angle exactly right, and even then you have to yank the gun too hard. I've already run a bunch of draws through the Raven from a number of positions, on the move, every way I can think of, and not once has the gun balked or locked in when I didn't want it to. Like I said: fast, natural, and secure. Pretty much perfect.

Putting it on and wearing it also showed the gun to every bit as comfortable as everybody always says it is. It is, in fact, one of the most, if not the most, comfortable holsters I've had on. It rides very tight and close to the body, without forcing the gun into your side. Being as thin as it is, it's not sticking way out to the side getting in the way of your arm, or clunking into things. The holster is curved a bit to conform to your hip, and sits very, very securely to the belt. It rides so flat and close that even in it's current OWB form it conceals even my full size XD9 under a shirt almost as well as an IWB holster, very impressive. One very nice thing about this holster is that there are several different styles of belt clips and loops available to convert this holster from an OWB holster to a tuckable IWB holster, and I'll be buying some for when I need IWB. I've got no doubt that as a tuckable this holster will cause the XD9 to absolutely disappear.

I had Cathy try it on to see how it works on a woman's body, and she is as impressed as I am. She's dissed many, many high quality leather holsters in the past, because they simply don't fit a woman's body. She bent, twisted, turned every which way to try to get the gun to poke or prod her body, and could not get it to do so. She said she didn't have to "chicken wing" to get the gun out, a common problem she has with many holsters that really aren't made for a woman's body. The Raven Phantom, in fact, was as perfect in the area of comfort for both of us as it is every other aspect. I almost had to fight her to get my gun and holster back LOL.

To top off all the other goodness, I'm about to type something I don't think I've ever said about another kydex holster... this one just flat looks good!

I really can't think of any cons to address about this holster. I've been wearing and working with it all afternoon, and have not been able to find a single thing I dislike about it. Not one. This may be the best holster I've ever had.

After experiencing this holster and the quality it exudes, not to mention the unmatched customer service from the company itself, it goes without saying that this will not be my last Raven holster!

Now for the pics. I'll apologize in advance for the quality of the pics, pretty much the best I can do with my camera. They really don't do the holster justice.

Front
    RavenConcealmentPhantom048.jpg

RavenConcealmentPhantom052.jpg

Back
    RavenConcealmentPhantom050.jpg

RavenConcealmentPhantom053.jpg

Look how TIGHT this holster fits the gun
    RavenConcealmentPhantom055.jpg

RavenConcealmentPhantom058.jpg

RavenConcealmentPhantom057.jpg

RavenConcealmentPhantom059.jpg

RavenConcealmentPhantom062.jpg

Bottom of the holster. Like the other pics showing the edges, you can see how everything is rounded off, and how the two pieces are molded together to look like one.
    RavenConcealmentPhantom060.jpg

Holster on my side. We took some of it concealed under my shirt, but I was losing my light, the pics looked even worse, and frankly there was nothing to see but shirt. The gun just disappeared.

RavenConcealmentPhantom063.jpg

RavenConcealmentPhantom065.jpg

RavenConcealmentPhantom067.jpg

RavenConcealmentPhantom069.jpg

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Nice review, Joe. I have the IWB connectors that you can have for free if you want them. I didn't find the Raven to be too comfortable IWB, but I absolutely love it for OWB.

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    As I've said more than once, I generally prefer leather holsters to kydex, but I've heard and read so much about Raven Concealment's holsters that I wanted to try one out. I bought one that I thought was a Raven holster, and it was a nice enough holster, but turned out it wasn't. Tom from Raven Concealment went out of his way to expedite a real Raven Concealment holster to me, and this holster shows the difference between an okay holster like the one I had and the Uncle Mikes paddle holster that I've been using (and actually like,) and a truly quality holster. Unfortunately, much of that difference is simply impossible to properly convey in writing. No matter how much I've read about Raven's holsters, I simply couldn't figure out what the big deal was about just another plastic holster.

Joe, I think your review conveyed the differences in expert fashion. Thanks for taking the time to evaluate and review this holster. I've made note of the manufacturer for my own reference, and I plan to check their website for other gun makes/models compatible with their products.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Nice review. I'm a raven owner as well. I carry my XD45 IWB/OWB regularly in a light compatible raven and share your affection for them.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    :yesway: Raven Phantom. Rock solid. Their mag pouches are the same, too.
    One more thing to be thankful for. Nice review.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Nice review. I have the same style holster for my EDC. I had to have the part that sticks up cut off because I didn't like that thing (it locked my safety on) so I had them slice it off at the last 1500. They have great customer service.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Nice review, Joe. I have the IWB connectors that you can have for free if you want them. I didn't find the Raven to be too comfortable IWB, but I absolutely love it for OWB.

Yeah, if you aren't going to use them, I'll snag 'em. Thanks!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    :+1: Nice review. Care to share the price and time to deliver?

They are about $75 for the XD, I'm not sure what the usual wait time is. Raven went out of their way to help me get a real Raven Concealment holster quickly, despite the fact that it was in no way, shape or form their fault that the holster I thought was theirs, wasn't. Like I said, really superb customer service.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Thanks for the review. I ordered one for my G22 with light and now can't wait until it arrives...most likely sometime in late January.

Now I'm researching getting an actual decent gun belt to go with it (have it narrowed down to the Liger Gun Belt or Jones Tactical Shooters Belt...I think the Liger might win on simplicity and looks).

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    Isn't RAVEN just Wonderful...!!!! Except for that TOM guy..!!! You guys know that Raven is almost always at the 1500 .. and if you get there early enough they can usually have one for you before you leave (approx.3 hours)...!!

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the great review Joe ! 6-7 weeks ago, I placed the same holster on order for my G32 based on just what I have read here on INGO. Always helps hearing additional info to confirm that I made the right decision.

The only issue I forsee is the wife thinks that her G19 is gonna beat mine into it. LOL I have a pretty good feeling that we will be ordering a second ! Actually, since I currently already have a so-so I use, if she likes it, I will wait for the second. Thanks again Joe for the info !

Top Bottom