• Status
    Not open for further replies.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    The combination of the Ruger 22/45 and the Bushnell TRS-25 is the most fun that can be had for under $320 before tax.

Ruger 22/45 w/ 2 factory mags $269.99 Jerry's Gun Shop
    Bushnell TRS-25 $49.95 Amazon.com minus the rebate.

Total before tax $319.94

0915111351.jpg

For those unfamiliar with the Ruger 22/45 MkIII, it is a polymer framed .22 pistol that has the ergonomics of a 1911, a bull barrel, and a removable front sight, with an adjustable rear sight. It does not actually mirror the 1911, just places all the controls in the same places. It was actually refreshing to have the familiarity of controls I am already used to. It also will take any standard 1911 grip, I thought about replacing the Ruger ones with Hogue ones, but the Ruger symbol is just so good looking. :rockwoot: This was a huge plus for me.

After those ergo's, the similarity to the 1911 stop. It feels in my opinion much more front heavy than any gov issue 1911. I also do not like the Loaded Chamber Indicator, it's right where I normally rest my thumb. The other negative thing I have to mention is the Front Sight, it comes loose after about 100 rounds. Some Loctite fixed that, but I expect more from Ruger.

0915112244.jpg

I went to Blythes in Valpo to sight in pistol. All and all it was a good trip. Upon arrival, I learned that I left all my CCI mini mags at home. Stupid stupid me. Blythe's ammo is a little expensive if they are not having a sale. Fortunately for me Remington Cyclone was on sale 500 rounds for $15.99. It runs in my Ruger 10/22, so I said sure, why not, I'll run that. Yes I know, it's cheap bulk ammo, but it has great results.

Ballistic Info: Remington Cyclones

Bullet Weight 36 grains
    Bullet Style: Hollow Point
    Velocity: 1280 FPS at the muzzle, 1010 fps at 100 yards

Now for the Red Dot

0915111351a.jpg

0915112159a.jpg

The Bushnell TRS-25

I love this red dot. It's a 3MOA red dot, at a quarter the price of a 4MOA Aimpoint red dot. It has 11 brightness settings, that very from "I'm not sure this is on, too, OMG that is bright, I can't believe this is so bright." It is also very small, and very light, once it was attached to the Ruger 22/45, there was no noticeable difference in weight. When you rotate the dial, the brightness settings really lock in place, you get real feedback when you lock it in place.

It took about 20 rounds to get it sighted in at about 10 yards.
    0915112137.jpg

Then I had to have some rapid fire fun at 10 yards.
    0915112139.jpg

Then I had to move it back to 25 yards.
    0915111526.jpg

2 magazines at 25 yards from a bench rest.
    0915112138.jpg

The pistol proved to be more accurate than I thought I was, and when combined with that red dot, there is so much fun to be had. It was so much fun in fact I shot 300 rounds today. Suffice it to say, the break in is over. Now the real fun begins. I can't wait to take some video of this pistol in action.

Original thread here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._ruger_22_45_mkiii_and_bushnell_trs_25_a.html

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom