Not open for further replies.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My father in law bought one of these new for about $200. I've never really even heard of that model so he let me wring it out today. After shooting it, I decided to do a review in it.

JKEQ7VA.jpg

It looks like a love child of a Sig and a Walther, with some Glock thrown in for good measure.
    It felt great in my hand, similar to a Walther. It's a standard SA/DA with a safety and a decocker. Sights are 3 dot metal and drift adjustable. Mags are 17 rounds and drop free. All of the controls and ambi, even the slide release. Overall fit and finish was decent. I have no idea how much the trigger was set at but it's not horrible. It's sure no 3rd gen S&W, but for $200, I think it is just fine. It came with 2 mags, a hard case and the usual stuff.

Cm8lNh8.jpg

Disassembly is just like a Glock, minus the trigger pull. The recoil spring is a dual coil setup. Racking the slide is real easy. Even easier if you cock the hammer first.

RmPq0xk.jpg

So onto the range time. I hand CCI blazer, Win steel case 115 grain and a little 147 fmj. I put about 100 rounds through it with zero issues. Recoil was very light. It shot a little to the left for me. Accuracy was decent too. I was shooting at about 10 yards (I think. I hadn't planned on doing a review when I shot it.)

So overall, I think it's a pretty decent pistol for the price. I think they run under $300 for an average street price. Will it be a 10,000 round competition gun. Probably not. But For a plinker and, to some, a home defense gun, it works.

************************************************************************************************************************************
    Link To Original Thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/445821-taurus-809-review.html#post7318849

Last edited by a moderator:

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Just hope it never breaks.

Two pistols recently have been at Taurus for repair for over a year.

I would fix them in house, but I was told the parts were unavailable, unless sent back to the factory.

Each one was a simple fix. Each one took a year.

Just be cautious.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

I would fix them in house, but I was told the parts were unavailable, unless sent back to the factory.

Just be cautious.

It's my father-in-law's pistol. I doubt he will put more than 20 rounds a year through it.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner

Just be cautious.
    Heard that. I have three Taurus handguns, an older PT99, a PT22, and a G2. They all run great, but I hope I never have to have anything done to them. Taurus is going to go out of business unless they get their internal issues worked out. :twocents:

solarpimp

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Irvington
    I have owned several PT111-G2's and they've all been very consistent shooters. I also have shot the PT709 Slim and it seemed to be a solid handgun as well.

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    I have had a few Taurus pistols, They have all been decent, I still have a Taurus 1911, its not the prize of the safe, but it has never malfunctioned.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    florez30
    Top Bottom