Revisiting reloading the 308 with heavy bullets and powder that metering perfect

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Thanks for the info and the advice. I really do need to make some time do develop some loads for specific rifles I own. I have heard good things about Lapua brass but it is pricey. :spend:

It's definitely not cheap, but they're pretty amazing pieces of equipment. Lots of detail and thought go into the Lapua brass that we just don't see in other brands.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Back in the late 80's and early 90's I used to shoot competition benchrest. It was my experience, and a lot of other folks's that I shot with, that the weight of powder (within reason) was one of the lowest ranking factors for accuracy. Bullet, case, and primer where all more important. I regularly loaded powder charges that varied by .3 grains, and that was in cases a heck of a lot smaller than 308 Win. And, yes, I shot good enough to bring home some hardware more than once.

Sagamore - One

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Near Bippus
    My "go to" load in 308 for longer range shooting is, and has been since 1980.... 42.2 of 4895 with a 168 gr Sierra. Charges are thrown with an ancient Lyman 55 thrower. With proper throw technique 1 / 10 grain deviation is possible , but not required. I try to limit my 308 shooting to 750 yards . Case prep is essential for good results. Probably more important than powder weight variations.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    In a 22" barrel you'll have problems launching a heavy for caliber bullet. Sure, the long range guys are using 208 A-Max's and the like, but they're also shooting out of a 30" tube. With that much length you can take advantage of slower burning powders that are better for launching those bigger bullets.

You actually don't care about momentum. What you really want is ballistic coefficient. And there are some lighter bullets that have great B.C.'s. I'm running 175 gn Sierra Tipped Match Kings. Hornady has their new ELD Bullets I haven't tried yet, and of course Berger has some great stuff. These medium weight bullets are much easier to get up to velocity out of that 22" barrel.

As for powder, I use 8208XBR, but I don't know how it meters. I set my powder measure a couple of tenths light and use a trickle charger to finish.

I'll have to read up on the OCW method. I do weight sort my cases, which isn't exactly the same as measuring the volume. But in a case with identical exterior dimensions, I would think the difference in weight would be indicative of the volume differential.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I'll have to read up on the OCW method. I do weight sort my cases, which isn't exactly the same as measuring the volume. But in a case with identical exterior dimensions, I would think the difference in weight would be indicative of the volume differential.

For cases of the same brand and lot, this is true. However, cases from different manufacturers can use a different alloy for the brass. This can result in two cases having the same weight, but a different internal capacity, but if you sort by headstamp, first, you largely eliminate that variable.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    For cases of the same brand and lot, this is true. However, cases from different manufacturers can use a different alloy for the brass. This can result in two cases having the same weight, but a different internal capacity, but if you sort by headstamp, first, you largely eliminate that variable.

Good point. I guess I take it for granted to sort by mfg and lot. But that may not be readily apparent to everyone.

Top Bottom