• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Did a restoration on a Colt New Service.
    Not really my line of work and had to send out for the Bluing. But man does this thing look like new :)
    This pistol was manufactured prior to 1940 but I am not sure of the actual year of production for it.

Before:

After:

Last edited:

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Thanks, It does look hot :)
    I cant wait to call the owner and show him.. Took 5 months almost to the day

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    She's purty!

That reminds me I need to give Dad's old S&W 36-1 some serious love. Near the end I think the cancer affected his memory a bit. While he was a meticulous gun owner, inexplicably and totally out of character for him, after he passed mom found his J frame partially disassembled. It was wrapped in a silicone gun cloth with tons of corrosion on it. I spent a week of evenings completely disassembling it and using a dremel with wire brushes to get rid of all of the rust part by part and then cold bluing everything several times.

I rehabbed it to the best of MY ability, which doesn't say much. I took it apart too far to get the rust out of the action and ended up having to take it to the smiths at Gander Mountain to get it reassembled properly. (a spring wouldnt stay put long enough to put in a screw as I recall)

There is some deep pitting at the end of the barrel and on several parts of the cylinder that I'm not sure how to get rid of/fill in. It was significant enough that I had to sign a release when I picked it up stating the gun wasn't safe to fire. After getting totally pissed that I just spent $$ that I probably wouldnt have had I known it was officially unsafe to fire, I was told off the record that if they find ANYTHING more than surface rust they have to state that no matter how minor it is to CYA but its PROBABLY fine to shoot. I don't see it being THAT bad, but out of caution, I probably wouldn't run +P rounds through it any more. You would think that a respectable gunsmith would have taken one look at the weapon and said "if he's paying me to make this work again, I might want to call him before I touch it since its not safe to fire any more."

Luckilly for me I now know of some reputable gunsmiths.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Thanks guys. Unfortunately I found out today the owner is out of the country for a few weeks. Soooo, we wait

Last edited:
    Top Bottom