• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    That's a great story. My question is, did you know what you were looking at when you seen it for the first time or did you research it first before buying. I'd say you did good.

jspy5, I knew it was a Webley, but I was figuring it was an RIC Bulldog or somesuch. When I saw it was the MP, I knew I'd buy it, just got lucky it was the .450. Webleys in those days had a multitude of calibers like .442, .462, etc. I don't think I would have purchased if I really didn't stand a chance to shoot it....IMHO guns are built to be shot, not just to look at!

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Clay, from what I understand, shooting these guns at even .45 ACP pressures can be dangerous. That's why I scaled back even the .45 ACP loads. The Webleys that were cut for .45 ACP were the ones originally chambered for .455. Those guns weren't produced until WWI or later, when the steels were a bit better. I've been told that shooting .45 ACP with moon clips in those cut back models is dicey also, as the .455 is below modern .45 ACP pressures as well.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Clay, from what I understand, shooting these guns at even .45 ACP pressures can be dangerous. That's why I scaled back even the .45 ACP loads. The Webleys that were cut for .45 ACP were the ones originally chambered for .455. Those guns weren't produced until WWI or later, when the steels were a bit better. I've been told that shooting .45 ACP with moon clips in those cut back models is dicey also, as the .455 is below modern .45 ACP pressures as well.

good to know!! thanks!!

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Man, that's a nice Webley.

Seeing that actually brings up a bit of a painful memory for me. I stumbled on an old Webley RIC in .455 a few years ago. It was seized up and needed some work, but I got it for a great price. When asking around on the board for advice on getting it repaired, I ended up connecting with a gunsmith who specialized in late 19th century guns (mostly Winchester rifles) down in Southern Indiana (a member here on the board). I shipped him my Webley and another old Belgian revolver for repair. I was receiving updates from him periodically, until one day he stop responding. A few months later, I get a response from his account saying it was his ex-wife and that he was in the hospital and was very ill. In the message was his cell phone number and said that his cell was the only way to contact him.

What followed was a painfully slow months between messages communication with him. He says he is out of the hospital now, but he said was in so long that (and I don't know the state of his finances) that they boxed up all his stuff and he had no idea where my guns where. He eventually found my Belgian and shipped it back (with no repairs effected that I could tell, despite what he had said a year earlier indicating it was fully done), but claimed there was no sign of my Webley.

And that's where we stand right now. He is supposedly looking for it, but I pretty much have to write it off as gone. So, if you ever run across a .455 Webley RIC revolver with a serial number of 6291, let me know.

TarCqJ3GuLw4VrdHoJxhjBB-q25-Up1KGiwrXy7CILr-ZjytgxEV7gB7JUPu-2wd9K1aj3NXr-N32sqREI7kdPTmwsC5lM70SGw59fnCkKwhHq1DrNsOqMElKjCNg7YbeVSpCbfSp7euLgcHZVQBtm2HSt3lNC_IAuqKTQlc8Y2l4IFDCHxX65LvRmzxtAmmiudq60KRrIf6Lc46qHt-5heDSrUXSmT78y4I2Wwrxi8cfG9DrIsdqtze3FGSNRMPcCQ57BhCVmuFDfFRnKAPp_20vlkNfX8lzmm2Nah51dhrH9pKGjrrSVBiAVsUtDbL8A4kgbVjYYbrMSBWdXPKL84jiJObtJ3KFnepin9NLL8cX3xyi3co3BeYKqjZixprOmrOTXjxRHZDmsMAypmQjIXTl2ByLFjZZ2JxfJyz3RQnL868zgbEyuYRnQD-LPjzXhKKXGCo4c62_w961XUyBdcxdaqxqfoqmvjDbCNz-CT15mo63GxtJ_18uvt6JmLJBKyuvwr4q2-uRQMmTfDEDKw6c035OCzYBd66TxwLqxyXNfvxJ8k3XMP4GtElrLLw09t1vhCnL6oXKMmeAiReqlRcbGL_UF0v=w955-h556-no

Update: This post had reminded me to do my semi-monthly check in with him and see if he found. He actually replied back within a couple minutes and said, yes, he had indeed found it (right before he had to go back into surgery again). He said he's in recovery now, but will get it back to me as soon as he gets home. So, who knows, maybe I'll see the old girl again after all.

Last edited:

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Man, that's a nice Webley.

Seeing that actually brings up a bit of a painful memory for me. I stumbled on an old Webley RIC in .455 a few years ago. It was seized up and needed some work, but I got it for a great price. When asking around on the board for advice on getting it repaired, I ended up connecting with a gunsmith who specialized in late 19th century guns (mostly Winchester rifles) down in Southern Indiana (a member here on the board). I shipped him my Webley and another old Belgian revolver for repair. I was receiving updates from him periodically, until one day he stop responding. A few months later, I get a response from his account saying it was his ex-wife and that he was in the hospital and was very ill. In the message was his cell phone number and said that his cell was the only way to contact him.

What followed was a painfully slow months between messages communication with him. He says he is out of the hospital now, but he said was in so long that (and I don't know the state of his finances) that they boxed up all his stuff and he had no idea where my guns where. He eventually found my Belgian and shipped it back (with no repairs effected that I could tell, despite what he had said a year earlier indicating it was fully done), but claimed there was no sign of my Webley.

And that's where we stand right now. He is supposedly looking for it, but I pretty much have to write it off as gone. So, if you ever run across a .455 Webley RIC revolver with a serial number of 6291, let me know.

TarCqJ3GuLw4VrdHoJxhjBB-q25-Up1KGiwrXy7CILr-ZjytgxEV7gB7JUPu-2wd9K1aj3NXr-N32sqREI7kdPTmwsC5lM70SGw59fnCkKwhHq1DrNsOqMElKjCNg7YbeVSpCbfSp7euLgcHZVQBtm2HSt3lNC_IAuqKTQlc8Y2l4IFDCHxX65LvRmzxtAmmiudq60KRrIf6Lc46qHt-5heDSrUXSmT78y4I2Wwrxi8cfG9DrIsdqtze3FGSNRMPcCQ57BhCVmuFDfFRnKAPp_20vlkNfX8lzmm2Nah51dhrH9pKGjrrSVBiAVsUtDbL8A4kgbVjYYbrMSBWdXPKL84jiJObtJ3KFnepin9NLL8cX3xyi3co3BeYKqjZixprOmrOTXjxRHZDmsMAypmQjIXTl2ByLFjZZ2JxfJyz3RQnL868zgbEyuYRnQD-LPjzXhKKXGCo4c62_w961XUyBdcxdaqxqfoqmvjDbCNz-CT15mo63GxtJ_18uvt6JmLJBKyuvwr4q2-uRQMmTfDEDKw6c035OCzYBd66TxwLqxyXNfvxJ8k3XMP4GtElrLLw09t1vhCnL6oXKMmeAiReqlRcbGL_UF0v=w955-h556-no

Update: This post had reminded me to do my semi-monthly check in with him and see if he found. He actually replied back within a couple minutes and said, yes, he had indeed found it (right before he had to go back into surgery again). He said he's in recovery now, but will get it back to me as soon as he gets home. So, who knows, maybe I'll see the old girl again after all.

I am kind of thinking after all that time it would have been time for a road trip with a "Get Well Soon" balloon, some flowers, and a 'Wheres my gun?" card? "I know you have been having troubles and thought I would save you a trip to the post office."

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    That one looks to be in a little rougher shape than mine. Probably saw a lot more use, with all the rebellions and stuff. It might have even been used by the I.R.A., they were always looking for weapons, antique or not. Hopefully it will shoot again also! Your ejector rod is the same as mine, I've noticed there were quite a few different end caps between the various models. Yours has the fluted cylinder that the .455's had also. Trigger guard looks like it might have been used for some wall to wall counseling also!

BTW, serial # on mine is 6945. Possible that these guns came out of the factory within days of each other!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Excellent story and work on your restoration, nothing like getting an old gun back and running again.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Talking about shaving for .45 ACP just gave me an idea.

Could you possible take .45 auto rim, cut it down, and thin the rim from the top? I'm not sure how to accomplish that last step, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work if it could be done.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Talking about shaving for .45 ACP just gave me an idea.

Could you possible take .45 auto rim, cut it down, and thin the rim from the top? I'm not sure how to accomplish that last step, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work if it could be done.

I was told this was possible, but I don't own a lathe to do it that way. You would have to secure it and use a cutter from the side I suppose. Any machinist's out there?

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Well, depending on how keen you are to get this shooting, here is someone selling 22 rounds of .450 Adams and 45 rounds of .455 Webley (plus 5 empty brass cases) on Gunbroker:

.450 Corto Ammo : Pistol Ammunition at GunBroker.com

He does specify they are handloads though, so you'd probably be better off pulling the bullets, dumping the powder and redoing them.

Beowulf, I got it shooting this past Saturday by doing that exact thing, pulling the loads from some Fiocchi .450 Corto and replacing it with a mild (3.0 grains) of Trail Boss.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around

Yes, you can thin the rim from the top, but this requires the use of a lathe and a bit of tooling. Because you need access to the rim area and the rest of the case is thin flexible metal, you need to use a threaded rod through the flash hole with a shoulder or small nut on the inside of the case (serves as a stop and contact point) and a nut on the outside threaded onto the rod and against the head of the case. This will allow you to spin the case in a stable and consistent manner. Besides the expense of the equipment, the set up process for each case is quite time consuming. Unfortunately, it is the only way to make certain cases (such as 9mm Nambu revolver - make from .38 Special) that have very thin rims or odd head dimensions. FYI - in the case of 9mm Nambu revolver, you'll want to use the old fashioned Lee hammer priming method because even with the correct shell holder (which is unique and involves custom $$$), you'll end up bending or tearing the rim of the case because it is so darn thin!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Great story and an awesome revolver....I was watching Peaky Blinders on Netflix the other day and Sam Neil's character is an Ulster Irish (we call them "Scots-Irish") policeman from Ulster sent to Birmingham to bust up the gang....He carries an RIC Webley while most of the Peaky Blinders carry Webley's or 2nd model Smith's in .455....

If you are into old guns it's a pretty good show to watch....

GGF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Looks like something that would land out at Amos' for sure!

Glad it found it's way to a shooter & reloader like you.

I need to see that sometime.

GGF

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    Only way I can describe that is "neat" When my wife and I first met, I wanted to hit the indy 1500. She was not into guns at all. We walked the entire show and I scanned past all the new stuff tables, but would stop at old crusty revolvers, beat up rifles and pile of old parts. She asked why I didn't want new stuff, well the old stuff is just fun.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Great pics Indiucky, and good job returning history to the firing line.

True story..I've wanted one of these for a while..OP posted how he had gotten rid of it at New Albany Gun show here in the forum...I was bummed to the max..."Why? Why oh Lord not me???"

two hours after he posted a buddy of mine came in...

"I picked this up at the New Albany Gun Show...I have no idea what it is..."

I filled him in on the history, told him how I've lusted after one since Sherlock Holmes, Jack the Ripper, Custer carrying a pair of RIC Webley's at Little Big Horn and the Marshall at Tombstone in the 1880's as well as other old west characters having one....He grinned and said, "I only bought it because it was weird...how about this, let me play with it awhile and I'll trade it to you..."

fast forward a year and he brought it in and gave it to me as I had nothing he was interested in at the time but he wanted me to have it and said, "You'll have something in here I want someday..."

I'm very happy...It needed some work but she's good to go now...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Were parts available or did you have to make them? I've seen these guns but never had one apart.

Top Bottom