• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    I took my dad to the range today. He brought a Colt Detective Special that he was having action problems with and wanted my opinion. The action was slow in its recovery and seemed "gummed up" before he messed with it. The cylinder didn't want to open properly. Long story short it looks like he was having trouble with it and took the panels off to try and fix it. It is now locked up.

The question I have is should I have him send it off to Colt or should I have him take it to a local gunsmith (probabaly Cosby's in Chandler Indiana)?

Anyone had a similar problem? Any advice?

It is a beautiful gun and I would like to get it working for him again.

Thanks in advance.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    It may be as easy a fix as hand tightening the "ejector rod", I had a Smith do that to me once and the gunsmith screwed the ejector rod back tight and handed it back to me. The quickest trip I ever took to a gunsmith. They may work loose after 20 years or so and have to be tightened. I am still glad I took it to a gunsmith though and I would recomend you do the same.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    LOOK and / or FEEL where the firing pin comes through, and contacts the primer. There is a round "thing" which after years of firing "backs up" the reason I know about this, is it happened to a friend of mine... He could only shoot once, and the cylinder would not turn, or open... Gunsmith fixed it ..
    this is post 2400 ...

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Who's Counting??

LOOK and / or FEEL where the firing pin comes through, and contacts the primer. There is a round "thing" which after years of firing "backs up" the reason I know about this, is it happened to a friend of mine... He could only shoot once, and the cylinder would not turn, or open... Gunsmith fixed it ..
    this is post 2400 ...

Congrats on post #2400----I'm RIGHT BEHIND you..HA...Bill.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Anderson
    I had a problem with a Ruger 22 Bearcat last year. Sent it to them and they fixed it for free. It somehow completely jammed up and they fixed it for free and even gave me a new box. All I paid for was the shipping both ways. I also had similar experiences with Smith where they replaced a part for free. I would personally go with Colt. A good smith can fix it but Colt may do it for free.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    this is post 2400 ...

Thanks, I will!

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    As Colt got out of the DA revolver business (except for a very few special order Pythons from their Custom shop) quite a spell back and hasn't as yet returned, I doubt that returning it to them for repair is even a viable option anymore.

Personally, I think your best bet is to look for a competent professional gunsmith locally and see what they can do. Good luck and hope everything works out for you.

Last edited:

Seven High

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Take it apart and do a detail cleaning and lubricate it. I have had good luck with
    ballistol cleaner/lubricant.

Top Bottom