• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    I'll give this a quick response from my perspective, which might be a little skewed because I'm on the early curve of the Gen-X wave. I like the new stuff for sure, as all my Smiths but one were built in 2014+. The one I have that's older is a gorgeous Model 19 built in 1987. I suppose it's a little like cars in that it hearkens back to an era in time that brings back fond memories, and the build quality/craftsmanship of my Model 19 is truly outstanding. And WHAT a shooter it is, too. I shoot my newer S&W M66 4.25" as well as any handgun I have, except for perhaps this Model 19. For whatever reason, it's really hard for me to shoot this gun badly. Feels good in my hands. Unbelievable trigger. I got this off a member here on INGO, complete with original box and papers, and seriously doubt I'll ever let go of it in spite of some tender offers.

Edit: This is a better shot from my newer cell phone:

Ww0gaHN.jpg
    [/IMG]

Nice looking gun and thanks for the feedback actually I was hoping to get more than one person to reply.

Thanks,

Dan

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Hey, I got a question. Go slow and keep in mind that I’m a newby. Heck I didn’t purchase my first gun until last year.

What exactly do you find that interest you when it comes to guns of that era? Now I’ve heard the craftsmanship and finishing was better. Is that it or is there something else that you find interesting? Oh, and are these users or just safe queens.

The reason I ask is because I’m trying to determine where I want to go next with this. I have a decent number of guns at this point but no matter which hobby or passion I get involved in I always try to make the next one matter. I try to make as many as possible mean something or fill a specific gap. There maybe more than one of something if I find that particular category especially interesting. Yeah, I know setting limits might be a verboten subject when it comes to guns especially here but for me I find by setting some kind of limit it gives me the oportunity to enjoy other passions. For example my next one is my first and possibly only project gun. It’s a SW Victory where I’m going to get a The Volquartsen fluted barrel, handgrips, extractor, Tandem Cross trigger, and halo. Relatively small project for most here but it’s my project gun.

Anyway I’n Seriously thinking at least one vintage gun. One other passion I have and I have a few but I only have one where I have one vintage example. However even then this vintage example is a user for me. It’s consider relatively rare and it had a number of things that was particularly appealing to me.

So school me please. What exactly do you find so darn attractive about these vintage guns that you would rather have one of them vs a brand spanking new one.

Help me PLEASEEEEE!! LOL

Dan

Craftsmanship...Pride of ownership...Lethal simplicity....There is just something soothing and satisfying about the simple elegance of a revolver...I have numerous semi autos but they always seemed "too busy" for me...Too much going on in the hand...

To me a revolver is pure simplicity along with good lines in a lethal package...I like the fall of the hammer, the way a revolver rides up in my hand rather than against my hand...The way stag looks and feels on a revolver...That I can hold one in my hand and feel just walnut and steel with warmth...That the older it gets the better it looks...Blue wear signifies use and loving care.....

I like that there is no button on the side.....I can't fathom a weapon that with a little pressure on a button drops it's loaded ammo to the ground...Yet most semi autos have them...On the side closest to the body no less....

I love their inherent accuracy, their consistency, their good looks, and their simple elegance....

rimg.php

rimg.php

rimg.php

rimg.php

rimg.php

rimg.php
    rimg.php
    rimg.php
    rimg.php
    rimg.php
    rimg.php
    rimg.php
    rimg.php
    rimg.php

Last edited:

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Craftsmanship...Pride of ownership...Lethal simplicity....There is just something soothing and satisfying about the simple elegance of a revolver...I have numerous semi autos but they always seemed "too busy" for me...Too much going on in the hand...

To me a revolver is pure simplicity along with good lines in a lethal package...I like the fall of the hammer, the way a revolver rides up in my hand rather than against my hand...The way stag looks and feels on a revolver...That I can hold one in my hand and feel just walnut and steel with warmth...That the older it gets the better it looks...Blue wear signifies use and loving care.....

I like that there is no button on the side.....I can't fathom a weapon that with a little pressure on a button drops it's loaded ammo to the ground...Yet most semi autos have them...On the side closest to the body no less....

I love their inherent accuracy, their consistency, their good looks, and their simple elegance....

Now that’s the frigging explanation and passion I was looking for.

Thank you sir.

Dan

PS. I have questions and concerns should I choose to go vintage. Heck not even sure which piece or pieces I would pursue yet. I know that has to come from me but I imagine you have some ideas. I’m mostly a SS guy when it comes to new but thinking blued is the way to go old. Colts or Smith and Wesson would probably be nice but I’m not sure how steep I want to go and in reality I am a 22 guy. Still not sure as this could very well be something I might put away and let collect dust with the exception of when I take it out and admoire it. Anyway I’m probably about a year away if I did choose to do this. I can be rather patient going for something I really want but also like to take whatever time it takes to make a decision that i’ll Be happy with for a much longer time.

Thing is I’m not sure at all where to begin looking. How to make sure I’m not taken for a ride or even what to look for. Also just totally ignorant as to what I might need to do if I wish to use it. Spring replacements and such.

Boy am I a noob. LOL

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central

rimg.php

rimg.php

rimg.php

rimg.php

rimg.php

rimg.php
    rimg.php
    rimg.php
    rimg.php
    rimg.php
    rimg.php
    rimg.php
    rimg.php
    rimg.php

Awesome!!

And all I can post pictures of are of brand new cr**. Well that and watches, footwear, and knives. But who likes any of those things. LOL

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    PS. I have questions and concerns should I choose to go vintage. Heck not even sure which piece or pieces I would pursue yet. I know that has to come from me but I imagine you have some ideas. I’m mostly a SS guy when it comes to new but thinking blued is the way to go old. Colts or Smith and Wesson would probably be nice but I’m not sure how steep I want to go and in reality I am a 22 guy. Still not sure as this could very well be something I might put away and let collect dust with the exception of when I take it out and admoire it. Anyway I’m probably about a year away if I did choose to do this. I can be rather patient going for something I really want but also like to take whatever time it takes to make a decision that i’ll Be happy with for a much longer time.

Thing is I’m not sure at all where to begin looking. How to make sure I’m not taken for a ride or even what to look for. Also just totally ignorant as to what I might need to do if I wish to use it. Spring replacements and such.

Boy am I a noob. LOL

Tuesday thru Saturday 10 am-until I get bored, tired, or missing the wife..usually until 5pm...

Falls City Firearms
    812-725-1911

Any questions you have feel free to call me before you purchase and I'll help you in any way I can...

Rick

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Tuesday thru Saturday 10 am-until I get bored, tired, or missing the wife..usually until 5pm...

Falls City Firearms
    812-725-1911

Any questions you have feel free to call me before you purchase and I'll help you in any way I can...

Rick

Thanks for the offer Rick.

Actually if your shop we’re local a visit might be more beneficial to me. No politics though, I would rather enjoy myself while there talking about things in common rather than things we may be at odds.

Cheers,

Dan

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central

Falls City Firearms
    812-725-1911

Rick

Wow, you are down South aren’t you.

Maybe I will give you a call first.

Top Bottom