• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Also a G19 carrier. My 442 S&W is a great backup, light, always there. Pocket carry is a natural in winter jacket. Strong side G19 has a layer covering so the 442 may even become a primary. Been so for over 20yrs now. Thought about updating to a 357mag, but the 38spec is easy shooting.

I do like the Rugers. SP101 is no slouch, holster gun for sure. The LCRs seem good, little different from S&W, sure they would serve well.

Try to shoot a couple. Snubbie 357 vs 38. Should be an eye opener. Good luck.

magus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Central IN
    Chiappa Rhino DS20. It's fugly like a bulldog, kinda rare, and not cheap. It is very easy shooting with .357 mag, and disappears on the body quite readily. The grip looks tiny, but I get a good solid grip on it with all fingers. I have large hands with long fingers. You really have to put it in-hand for it to make sense. It's become my de facto EDC due to ease of concealment. I love my VP9, but damn it's got a butt bigger than mine. ;)

maxresdefault.jpg

Only downside for me is the trigger. I have issues with staging the trigger as the pull doesn't have much feedback other than length for the break. Also it has a heavy trigger as (I understand) is common in revolvers. The wife likes shooting it in .357, but has trouble with the trigger weight. The VP9's spoiled us there.

Also be careful on where your hands are while firing it. That lower bore axis will cook your fingertip if you hold it like a semi. Big bold warnings in the manual, no joke.

This is my first revolver, so not a lot to compare it to other than my Dad's Python. I really enjoy it and fits a role for me.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I carry a S&W 642 most days and have never felt like it wasn't enough. I use it with a Barami hip grip which slims it down considerable from the factory grip and it does away with the need for a holster in all situations except my bicycle commute. For the commute I use a Survival Sheath Systems chest holster in a muzzle up configuration.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I put 100 rounds of .38sp through a rental 642 yesterday, and it shot high and right. I know ammo will affect vertical POI, but what can be done about left/right POI?

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I put 100 rounds of .38sp through a rental 642 yesterday, and it shot high and right. I know ammo will affect vertical POI, but what can be done about left/right POI?

Lots of practice! Snubbies are probably the hardest handguns to learn to shoot well.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I bought a S&W 642, removed the factory rubber grip and put on some older used J frame panels and I like it much better now. It's wasn't an enjoyable range toy with the rubber and the wood scales did not make it any more snappy, in fact it now seems to be more controllable on recoil. It also conceals easier now with the slimmer and less tacky wood panels.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The groups, size wise, were fine. They were all just high and right.

Were you heeling the gun, perhaps?

Not much can be done about left/right if you don't have adjustable sights. Kentucky windage or get one that shoots right. Try a Ruger. ;)

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Were you heeling the gun, perhaps?

Not much can be done about left/right if you don't have adjustable sights. Kentucky windage or get one that shoots right. Try a Ruger. ;)

I was John McPhee-ing the gun, to the extent possible. I would have tested in SA, but I rented a hammerless as that's what I'm looking at buying for pocket carry.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I was John McPhee-ing the gun, to the extent possible. I would have tested in SA, but I rented a hammerless as that's what I'm looking at buying for pocket carry.

Thumbs forward? A revolver grip is a bit different than a pistol grip. I've had the opposite problem of shooting a pistol with a revolver grip for a long time. Try looking up Massad Ayoob's "wedge grip" or whatever he calls it. Essentially thumbs locked together on the left side of the gun, middle finger of left hand tucked against the rear of the trigger guard, pointer finger pulled in on top of the middle finger to wedge it into the area where the grip meets the trigger guard.

Obviously difficult to diagnose, just offering possibilities. Generally when I shoot a revolver high/right, I'm heeling the gun. The only gun I usually have that issue with is my Redhawk with it's lousy DA pull. In short, as you are pulling the trigger you're also tensing the bottom of your hand to increase grip strength, shoving the butt of the gun forward and left, changing your POI up and to the right. Your groups will still be fine as you are consistently doing it and the movement in your palm is the same each time. You just won't hit where you're aiming.

Hold up left fingers and grab them with your right hand. Now squeeze hard with all your right hand fingers. Watch what the area of your palm just below the base of your thumb does. That's what I suspect you may be doing during your trigger pull with the unfamiliar revolver trigger.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Thumbs forward? A revolver grip is a bit different than a pistol grip. I've had the opposite problem of shooting a pistol with a revolver grip for a long time. Try looking up Massad Ayoob's "wedge grip" or whatever he calls it. Essentially thumbs locked together on the left side of the gun, middle finger of left hand tucked against the rear of the trigger guard, pointer finger pulled in on top of the middle finger to wedge it into the area where the grip meets the trigger guard.

Obviously difficult to diagnose, just offering possibilities. Generally when I shoot a revolver high/right, I'm heeling the gun. The only gun I usually have that issue with is my Redhawk with it's lousy DA pull. In short, as you are pulling the trigger you're also tensing the bottom of your hand to increase grip strength, shoving the butt of the gun forward and left, changing your POI up and to the right. Your groups will still be fine as you are consistently doing it and the movement in your palm is the same each time. You just won't hit where you're aiming.

Hold up left fingers and grab them with your right hand. Now squeeze hard with all your right hand fingers. Watch what the area of your palm just below the base of your thumb does. That's what I suspect you may be doing during your trigger pull with the unfamiliar revolver trigger.

Strong thumb high and neutral, weak thumb forward, tight squeeze, push/pull... my thumb was probably too far forward as I ended up with a black thumbnail. :): It's the same grip I use since the class with my other revolvers (686, 29, GP100, Alaskan) with excellent results... or at least better results than what I was doing before.

You're probably correct about the "heeling;" the trigger on the rental gun was VERY heavy.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    You might want to take a look at a Ruger SP101 with a 2.25 inch barrel.

5720.jpg

Absolutely...my recommendation exactly! Ruger's are the toughest + most rugged revolvers available...you won't go wrong with one!

Best part...there are several tritium front night sights for it (front sight is pinned-in vs machined-on) are are easily replaced and there are several after market grips available for it as well...Badger Customs...Eagle Grips...Hogue...etc.

The Ruger SP101 was my 3rd handgun purchase ever and was my EDC for 10+ years...until I discovered Glocks (G-36 is my EDC)...but the SP101 is now my 'shop gun' as I still trust it's reliability + accuracy to protect me!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Strong thumb high and neutral, weak thumb forward, tight squeeze, push/pull... my thumb was probably too far forward as I ended up with a black thumbnail. :): It's the same grip I use since the class with my other revolvers (686, 29, GP100, Alaskan) with excellent results... or at least better results than what I was doing before.

You're probably correct about the "heeling;" the trigger on the rental gun was VERY heavy.

Especially with snubbies, you want to tuck that thumb back. Both for control and for safety of your finger.

dman424

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    I would seriously recommend looking at the Ruger LCR in .327 Federal Magnum. It is not a gimmick. The round has excellent ballistics low recoil compared to its stopping power and you get six rounds compared to only five in a similar sized .38 special revolver.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I don't know if anyone has ever fired a snubby 357 magnum but the muzzle blast alone is debilitating. I will only carry 38 special +p in a snub nose.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'm not certain you'd even need +p in .38spl. The FBI carried 158gr loads at 950fps for decades, and I bet dropping down to 800ish fps is not a deal breaker, given that you gain in shoot ability and accuracy more than you'd lose in terminal ballistics.

Top Bottom