• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. Chiappa Rhino 20DS??? Warning: do your research.
    2. I have heard bad things, very bad things about every aspect of a Chiappa, but perhaps that was not on the model you are looking at.

The Rhino is one of those don’t judge an individual product based on the brand name. Yes it is under Chiappa, but it’s not their typical cheap items. Rhinos typically sell at S&W costs (700-1000+) and the owners I’ve spoken with love them.

There are horror stories with their CS (but that is true with EAA and I’ve got two of their imported items that I love) and one particular story about one that broke. But most forum responses are from 2016 at the newest when searching for issues with the Rhinos. Just not 100% convinced of the reliability yet and the lack of recent posts showing up in google doesn’t help that.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The Rhino is one of those don’t judge an individual product based on the brand name. Yes it is under Chiappa, but it’s not their typical cheap items. Rhinos typically sell at S&W costs (700-1000+) and the owners I’ve spoken with love them.

There are horror stories with their CS (but that is true with EAA and I’ve got two of their imported items that I love) and one particular story about one that broke. But most forum responses are from 2016 at the newest when searching for issues with the Rhinos. Just not 100% convinced of the reliability yet and the lack of recent posts showing up in google doesn’t help that.

1. Almost bought a stainless (could have been nickel) with wood handles (best gorgeous combination) .357; I had it in my hand and was waiting to deal on 3 guns, but the owner was busy so after 1/2 hour I left (there is always more guns to buy, but 2 were used and only the Windicator was new.
    2. My research on it was fine, but maybe I missed something: the gun had been around a long time, not a new issue with "bugs" to work out.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. Almost bought a stainless (could have been nickel) with wood handles (best gorgeous combination) .357; I had it in my hand and was waiting to deal on 3 guns, but the owner was busy so after 1/2 hour I left (there is always more guns to buy, but 2 were used and only the Windicator was new.
    2. My research on it was fine, but maybe I missed something: the gun had been around a long time, not a new issue with "bugs" to work out.

There are report of light strike issues, pierced primers and I know of one report that the breech shield broke one. They aren’t perfect, but neither are the rest. It’s one that I need more info from owners from before I’d drop the 8-900 for the 5” models.

Were you looking at a Rhino or a Windicator? Or both?

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Went to the 1500 tonight and found my revolver! This is horrible teaser and I know it, but I’ll post the pics after dinner. I owe my wife for the patience she has shown as I sorted through this.

It was not a Ruger, SW, Taurus, Kimber, Chiappa, Colt or RIA that came home with me.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    There are report of light strike issues, pierced primers and I know of one report that the breech shield broke one. They aren’t perfect, but neither are the rest. It’s one that I need more info from owners from before I’d drop the 8-900 for the 5” models.

Were you looking at a Rhino or a Windicator? Or both?

1. Windicator .357 for $340 snubbie-type length of barrel.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Went to the 1500 tonight and found my revolver! This is horrible teaser and I know it, but I’ll post the pics after dinner. I owe my wife for the patience she has shown as I sorted through this.

It was not a Ruger, SW, Taurus, Kimber, Chiappa, Colt or RIA that came home with me.

Back home and pictures are taken! I found a Dan Wesson 15-2! The price was right and it just fit right for myself and my wife. The moment of doubt I've had with most others that I've looked at wasn't there with this one. Overall it is in good shape, not sure on the age. It does have some external wear on it, but the chambers and barrel look fantastic still. And the trigger is a delight and silky smooth. My Lyman scale is showing 7.5-8lbs for DA and 1.75-2lbs for SA.

It didn't have the tools for keeping the barrel tight or the feeler gauges, but those can be had from EWK at a reasonable price. I think when I order those I will order one of their 4" barrel assemblies as well.

45RuMRh.jpg

jUgS3WC.jpg

Thank you for the help everyone! A DW wasn't a thought until I saw this one tonight. I knew they made revolvers, but I never looked into them as I knew the new ones were expensive. I'm going to hit the range tomorrow and will update this with my thoughts then!

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Back home and pictures are taken! I found a Dan Wesson 15-2! The price was right and it just fit right for myself and my wife. The moment of doubt I've had with most others that I've looked at wasn't there with this one. Overall it is in good shape, not sure on the age. It does have some external wear on it, but the chambers and barrel look fantastic still. And the trigger is a delight and silky smooth. My Lyman scale is showing 7.5-8lbs for DA and 1.75-2lbs for SA.

It didn't have the tools for keeping the barrel tight or the feeler gauges, but those can be had from EWK at a reasonable price. I think when I order those I will order one of their 4" barrel assemblies as well.

45RuMRh.jpg

jUgS3WC.jpg

Thank you for the help everyone! A DW wasn't a thought until I saw this one tonight. I knew they made revolvers, but I never looked into them as I knew the new ones were expensive. I'm going to hit the range tomorrow and will update this with my thoughts then!

I'm old enough to remember (and shoot in) PPC matches back in the late 1970's in Arkansas. Mostly S&W a few Colts fewer Rugers. But there were quite a few Dan Wesson's. The DW shooters would simply change barrels and use the same gun (other than barrel) for the Snubby, service and longer barrel classes they ran. Rest of us S&W shooters had 2-3-4 guns.

The DW shooters never had issues. They ran and we're accurate

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My initial range time with the DW was fantastic! I should have bought a revolver a lot sooner. I did have a minor hiccup when shooting magnums that not all of the brass would come out. I had one that would stick pretty good each time. I’ll give the chambers a good cleaning later tonight and see if it continues.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My initial range time with the DW was fantastic! I should have bought a revolver a lot sooner. I did have a minor hiccup when shooting magnums that not all of the brass would come out. I had one that would stick pretty good each time. I’ll give the chambers a good cleaning later tonight and see if it continues.

Previous owner probably shot a lot of .38s and you've got a ring of crud in there. Clean the cylinders good with a bore brush and it'll probably clear up.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That sounds logical BBI. 38s ran like a charm through it though!

I wasn’t paying 100% attention and picked up 125gr magnums instead of 158 magnums this morning. Boy you feel the difference between those! On the other hand, the wife loved the 125s in the Coonan. We literally had a blast on the range this afternoon between my revolver and her Coonan.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

45RuMRh.jpg

jUgS3WC.jpg

1. You are my new hero and idol! :thumbsup:
    2. What class! While I'm screwing around proud of myself for buying a new GP100 .22LR you come home with a piece of real artwork: I am so jealous! :wallbash:
    3. Now, I just went and looked them up: affordable (at least the one I looked at).
    4. I know nothing about this gun: if it is a shooter and not just for collecting, I would pursue one.
    5. Can anyone tell me if they are better than the S/W 617 or the Ruger GP100 .22LRs in function: trigger, feel, weight, accuracy, putting 1000s of rounds through it, etc.
    6. I can't believe noone mentioned this to me, unless the one I saw for under $400 was an anomaly, unless it's not a shooter.

Last edited:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. You are my new hero and idol! :thumbsup:
    2. What class! While I'm screwing around proud of myself for buying a new GP100 .22LR you come home with a piece of real artwork: I am so jealous! :wallbash:
    3. Now, I just went and looked them up: affordable (at least the one I looked at).
    4. I know nothing about this gun: if it is a shooter and not just for collecting, I would pursue one.
    5. Can anyone tell me if they are better than the S/W 617 or the Ruger GP100 .22LRs in function: trigger, feel, weight, accuracy, putting 1000s of rounds through it, etc.
    6. I can't believe noone mentioned this to me, unless the one I saw for under $400 was an anomaly, unless it's not a shooter.

There were a couple of the DW 15-2s on Gunbroker that I found that were lower than what I paid, the rest were all more expensive. The one I bought was the cheapest of the 4 I saw at the 1500.

Everything I can find on it says they are fantastic shooters, I enjoyed my range time with it yesterday. It did it’s part as long as I did mine.

It balances better fore than the 6” GP100 or SW 686s did. Weight on mine is around 38oz from what I found in research. The trigger on mine is better than triggers on the equivalent GP100/SW 686, at least in dry firing.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    There were a couple of the DW 15-2s on Gunbroker that I found that were lower than what I paid, the rest were all more expensive. The one I bought was the cheapest of the 4 I saw at the 1500.

Everything I can find on it says they are fantastic shooters, I enjoyed my range time with it yesterday. It did it’s part as long as I did mine.

It balances better fore than the 6” GP100 or SW 686s did. Weight on mine is around 38oz from what I found in research. The trigger on mine is better than triggers on the equivalent GP100/SW 686, at least in dry firing.

1. OK, confession time, and I'm feeling really stupid. :wallbash:
    2. I got this thread mixed up with the guy looking for a .22LR, but NOT a revolver: a semi-automatic.
    3. Therefore, I'm stupid on so many levels, but since I teach H.S. I'm used to everyone around me being smarter than me (or think they are: a benefit of working with teens everyday) :laugh:
    4. I'm going to slink away now and hope noone reads this: sorry for my butting in on the wrong caliber (but I did read some fantastic things about the Dan Wesson .22LR!!! :lmfao:

Top Bottom