• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I am planning to hunt deer in the Hoosier National Forest this fall with a handgun. I currently have a new Ruger GP 100 357 magnum with 6” barrel and a 1976 Liberty Ruger Blackhawk 357 magnum with 6-1/2” barrel. I have been shooting both guns practicing with iron sight at 50 yards. (I do not plan to take shot over 35-40 yards.) My old eyesight leaves me thinking I might need to mount a 2x power scope or a 1x power tube type red dot like the “UltraDot” on one or the other. My understanding is the tube type red dot has a greater field of view than the 2x power scope. Any suggestions or experience with similar situation. Also considering maybe I should forget the handgun and look for a rifle. Getting old has it's challenges.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Extended eye relief scopes take some getting used to.

A 2x Leupold isnt too much.

If going red dot sight.....there are a bunch of mini ones that work. On the cheap side the Bushnell TRS 25, middle being Sig Romeo 5 and on high side an Aimpoint

They are small and keep the handgun handy. However the small tube out a ways means you will see the rest of the optic around the window. For some this is fine, it annoys me greatly.

To reduce the clutter, one solution is to go w a reflex style sight.

Another I find doable is to go w a bigger 30mm tube type sight.

Have shot 2x, 4x and 3-12x EER scopes on a few handguns. For deer to 100 Id stop at a 2x. But a scope and rings really changes how a gun feels. Maybe for the good, maybe not.

On a Contender its pretty much a given an optic will be used and w performance cartridges and deer, my .35 rem Super 14 is going to wear an Aimpoint PRO.

My .357 is staying irons, even if it takes 3 or more times to line things up in good light.

I do have a reflex on a Buckmark for small game and its kinda neat. Takes some getting used to, to have the dot appear. Scopes and reg red dot tube sights get your aiming point to show up faster.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have a few scoped pistols for hunting. As said before 4x on a contender In 35 rem but it also sports a Harris bi-pod and is a stand gun. works well have taken a few deer with it. It is a swift premiere model but has held up very well over the years. More a mini rifle than a pistol.
    I have a nice Burris 2-6 on a buck mark silly wet (see what I did here) pistol. I like it and eye relief does not change much thru the power range. Once again I use it more like a mini rifle than a pistol.
    a smith 357 with a Gilmore has been a normal woods carry pistol and I like it very well off hand shooting. I have taken a few with this also.

Top Bottom