• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I would have helped you out. I was once a proponent of the Amish, "revolver is a way to shoot USPSA without losing my brass" school of thought. Even bought one of them 625 thingies. And like most people who "think about trying some competitions," I offloaded it before even attending my first match. Then when I did, ended up shooting something else. I figured out what a p.i.t.a. it is to load & unload those stupid clips, searching the world looking for Federal primers so I could have a trigger that wasn't 13 lbs., etc. and I ended up trading it for a guitar.

Coach, I suggest you give it some time. The urge will pass. (If it doesn't, I can sell you a guitar to help pass the time).

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I would have helped you out. I was once a proponent of the Amish, "revolver is a way to shoot USPSA without losing my brass" school of thought. Even bought one of them 625 thingies. And like most people who "think about trying some competitions," I offloaded it before even attending my first match. Then when I did, ended up shooting something else. I figured out what a p.i.t.a. it is to load & unload those stupid clips, searching the world looking for Federal primers so I could have a trigger that wasn't 13 lbs., etc. and I ended up trading it for a guitar.

Coach, I suggest you give it some time. The urge will pass. (If it doesn't, I can sell you a guitar to help pass the time).

No one ever said shooting Revolver was easy but you never even shot it in a match and are giving advice:dunno:
    Crap you never even got to the hard part:):
    That is why there are different divisions so you can pick one that fits you and have fun with it.

I like your comment about a guitar but wouldn't it just be easier to turn on the radio to get music? I mean you have to tune the damn thing and practice to get good with it and learn how to read sheet music, etc. Yeah sounds like it would be easier to turn on the radio than play a guitar. Sounds like guitar might = revolver.:stickpoke:

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    No one ever said shooting Revolver was easy but you never even shot it in a match and are giving advice:dunno:
    That is why there are different divisions so you can pick one that fits you and have fun with it.

I like your comment about a guitar but wouldn't it just be easier to turn on the radio to get music? I mean you have to tune the damn thing and practice to get good with it and learn how to read sheet music, etc. Yeah sounds like it would be easier to turn on the radio than play a guitar. Sounds like guitar might = revolver.:stickpoke:

This is the only thing a guitar is good for-

bluto-guitar.jpg

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    Nobody addresses the best part of a 625 wheel gun. No recoil spring! Running 200+ rounds of full house 45 acp through a revolver at a match can start to take it's toll on the web of your strong hand. It will make you Amish Tough.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Nobody addresses the best part of a 625 wheel gun. No recoil spring! Running 200+ rounds of full house 45 acp through a revolver at a match can start to take it's toll on the web of your strong hand. It will make you Amish Tough.

Yep 625 major is a bit of a thumper. Hardest kicking gun at the match usually.
    Shooting minor 8 out of a N frame is one of the softest shooting guns on the range. Although some miss the sensation of the slide movement.
    My splits are the same for 6 major and 8 minor because I shoot the sights and I have good recoil control. (and I have some arthritis in my hands so my splits aren't super fast anyway:()
    When I shoot 6 major at the house I'm always surprised at the recoil difference but when the beep goes off at a match I honestly can't tell any difference, Adrenalin is a great thing.:):

Alaskan454

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2016
    IN
    I'll second that. I love shooting 6 Major for a lot of reasons but 8 Minor is very soft out of an N frame. I'll also agree my splits are pretty similar between the two. I generally prefer all Alphas shooting minor but will accept more B/C hits when shooting major to get around 95% of the points on target. Because of that I always shoot the 625 faster if there aren't 8 shot arrays.

Last edited:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

Saving brass was my main consideration when I started thinking about competition. I've loosened up a bit in the 17 years since I bought that 625. I freely donate to the range gods at matches, and don't care anymore. I still have the Les Paul I traded it for, and it has done me good.

But I mis-spoke a little bit; I shot exactly one action pistol match with a revolver, in about 1996, and won the division (there were only about 5~6 shooters, one of whom is now an Open GM). I promptly took an 18-year vacation from that type of shooting, while seriously pursuing something else. I still have a 629 for bowling pins, and I still have my K-14 for NRA bullseye when there is an event available for it (I have broken the 260 level in the NMC a few times, nothing special, but decent). So I'm no degrader of the revolver.

But I will definitely say, as a "multi-division" music shooter, playing any music instrument is hands-down harder than shooting any kind of gun...:):. But it is worth it, and I highly recommend it. I would look darn funny walking out on stage with a radio in my hands. (Not quite as funny as a foot-long stainless revolver in an open-front gamer holster, with a half-dozen Mel's Diner coin-changers hanging below my belly button...but still pretty darn funny...:stickpoke:).

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I could see Coach sitting around a campfire singing Amish songs while playing a guitar. Blazing saddles comes to mind. :whistle:

INCLUSIVE LIST OF ALL AMISH GUITAR PLAYERS THROUGHOUT HISTORY:

1. Coach (if he gets the six-shooter and learns to play the guitar)

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    INCLUSIVE LIST OF ALL AMISH GUITAR PLAYERS THROUGHOUT HISTORY:

1. Coach (if he gets the six-shooter and learns to play the guitar)

Coach will be at least #2 on that list (I don't count, my family split from the church long ago):

[video=youtube;3L7tafg7LzU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L7tafg7LzU[/video]

Last edited:
    Top Bottom