Revolvers: double action that look like single actions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    Out of curiosity, though I've never seen one myself, are there any double actions that look like the old single actions? Obviously there is some element of form following function, but certainly you "could" make a double action that looks very similar to an older single action.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Check out the Colt Lightning. This is a replica.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Looks like that is a single action styled after Colt 1877 double action?

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.

I had one of these. Fun gun.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford

Well, that would have been exactly what I'm looking for, except the replica appears to be single action only.

Last edited:

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    If you read the description of the replica, you’ll see that these original Colts weren’t very robust. ;)
    Yeah, that's what I was reading. That diamondback sidekick is pretty cool. I'd like to see more chamberings offered with it.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that some of the old SA used in the cowboy movies and shows were converted to DA. Might be completely off base but for some reason that crept out of the cobwebs.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Gunsmiths in the past have converted Colt 1877 Lightnings to plowshare grips, but it was never a popular modification. All modern 1877 replicas I've seen, and I have several, are SA. This is probably a marketing/manufacturing decision to keep the guns in the CA shooting world and reduce cost. The Colt 1878 is essentially a DA SAA, but has a different grip, shooting the same calibers and using many of the same parts. A much larger and more robust revolver it is still out there if you look around.

A big 1878 like this one is seen in Tombstone as Virgil Earp's revolver that Kurt Russel threatens Ike Clanton with making the "head into a canoe" remark.;)

Tomb-saac6.jpg grip78.jpg

Hassiebawked

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 18, 2019
    South Central Indiana
    I just picked up an impulse buy… the Diamondback Sidekick. I was looking for a Ruger Super Wrangler and stumbled upon this. The double action trigger pull is 12lbs, sounds horrible but actually feels ok. The single action trigger pull is just over 3lbs. Very nice. Both the LR and Mag cylinders are 9 shot. Changing out the cylinders is a tad tricky at first. Detent with spring can come out when swapping cylinders. Just keep your finger over the hole and you’ll be fine. I read where Ruger grips will fit the Sidekick as well so you can dress it up with aftermarket grips if you want. Overall, nice little gun. I dig it.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory

The gun pictured here is actually the "Thunderer". It is single action action only but the lightning is double.

Just like the Scofield was a single action and the Russian was a double action for S&W back in the day.

The trick is look at the trigger, if it is in the back of the guard with the hammer down, it is a single. If it is in the middle, it is a double...

Top Bottom