• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Given the time we live, do you feel comfortable with a revolver? It's about using what you have, and for me 5-6 shots is all I need. Though many may find me crazy.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    Don't know why anybody wouldn't.

(a) plenty of stopping power (magnum loads)
    (b) never have to worry about jamming
    (c) people who may not have the strength to rack slides (i.e. elderly, etc.) don't have to

Lots of other good reasons. I'm guessing once a bad guy hears BANG he's probably not going to stick around to see what kind of gun you're shooting.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    I believe that revolvers are a great firearm to have. Depending on the caliber, frame and barrel size they can and still do fill all the aspect of having a firearm.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I have an at least 10 year old Taurus 605S in .357- five shot for EDC. Hammerless for pocket carry. Like it better than the new ones.:rockwoot:

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I think revolvers are fine firearms for self defense.

I do not think police officers or other people who are more likely to need their firearm for something that looks more like offense than defense should carry revolvers, however. They lack severely in ergonomics, shootability, and reloadability.

I am not saying that cops and others should go to a fight only armed with a handgun, of course that's not the case (long guns should be in the hand of anyone who is running toward the fight), but since a police officer's handgun is likely to be his lifeline in a number of shady situations which may involve multiple attackers, police officers should carry automatics only. This is true even if they are lower capacity, because they can be much more rapidly reloaded.

I carry my .38 a lot, and I'm happy with it because I don't get paid to run toward a wall of bullets anymore (my army days are long behind me). 5 shots are fine for self defense, and if not, I have 5 more in my pocket to use after I run away.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Yes they are.

There are many posts and many different opinons on this subject...If you do think a revolver is relevant and make a case as to why, you may be accused of being a relic, uncool, religous in your defense of revolvers, or even "testy".

The truth of the matter is they are reliable, handy, and in the case of the J frame Smith easily concealable..Enjoy the responses to your post and welcome to INGO..We have opinions here...:D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suO8NSvXT2k[/ame]

stag005_zps1738ff04.jpg

17-3010.jpg

smithandwesson005.jpg

derbygun004.jpg

stag006_zps68c79f59.jpg

cirrilo006.jpg

smithandwesson052.jpg

629nodash024.jpg

springca1939004.jpg

Last edited:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I like revolvers quite a bit, though I don't own any at the moment, I carried a Smith Snubby for many years. It was compact, comfortable to carry, easily concealed and ALWAYS reliable. No shame in having a wheelie for an EDC IMHO. :yesway:

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Revolvers are antiquated and obsolete. They cannot be shot quickly and accurately, and it takes forever to reload them. Just ask Jerry Miculek; he'll tell you. :D

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    For me, as a lefty shooter, no. The cylinders always open on the wrong side forcing me to switch hands and fumble around trying to reload.

Charter makes lefty models I think.

While a revolver wouldn't be my first choice for taking to a gun fight, I think they are still plenty relevant for HD, and CCW.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Revolvers are all junk and completely outdated. I think you should all get rid of them and buy a Glock or M&P or some other Uber Wonder Polymer gun. Just let me know where and when to pick up all those old wheel guns for proper disposal and I'll take care of them for you. ;) I'll dispose of the ammo too if that'll help ya out.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Revolvers are all junk and completely outdated. I think you should all get rid of them and buy a Glock or M&P or some other Uber Wonder Polymer gun. Just let me know where and when to pick up all those old wheel guns for proper disposal and I'll take care of them for you. ;) I'll dispose of the ammo too if that'll help ya out.
    Sounds like Christmas.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    The only reason I carry my Double Eagle most of the time is that it is "thinner" in cross section than my wheel guns. IMHO, revolvers are probably the "Best" defense weapon of all the handguns in that they never ever Jam, will shoot just about any ammo that will fit into the cylinder from shot shells to FMJ and with light loads for practice up to +P for defense while SA's are restricted to what will cycle the gun without damage and will feed in the magazine and up the ramp. As far as number of shots go, any person that is proficient with a handgun who need more than a couple rounds to hit a bad guy better practice more. Unless you are fighting gang's (in which case I will use my AK) 6 rounds should take care of any home invasion issue. I don't think I have heard of any home invasions in 50 years where more than 2 or max 3 persons were involved.

Top Bottom