• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    IMO, biometric all day long. With the RFID you have to have that ring (or whatever transponder) right with you or you are SOL. Would be a bummer to take the ring off for whatever reason or knock it off your night stand in the middle of the night and can't find it in the dark and then need your gun. You always have your fingerprints.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Of those two choices, I suppose Biometric. At least multiple people can be programmed, and there is no "chip" to misplace.

Both are too reliant on electronics for me, though. I'm with Mr. Fat on this: buttons with a key backup.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    For what it's worth I prefer a push button with key backup as well as there is less that can go wrong, I was just saying biometric was the best of the two options. I'm a believer in KISS, especially when it comes to something like quick access to a firearm.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have a GunVault push button next to the bed for my daily carry. The button patterns aren't always the friendliest. I actually leave it open when I'm home (I cant' take it to work). All of the electronic stuff (biometric, button sequence, RFID) is a false sense of security. I'd never trust it with my life. Even on the main safe, it's mechanical all the way.

IMHO, if you have to open it as a step in your reaction, you're dead. Those easy access boxes are nothing more than to keep it out of the hands of others when you're not present (kids, etc.).

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Neither. manual buttons.

But if I had to choose, RFID. Hands down for reliability. Biometrics have issues sometimes with fingerprints. An RFID reader doesnt balk if you hold the card/dongle/wristband wrong. RFID doesnt fail if you are wearing gloves. RFID doesnt fail if you have junk on your hands.

But both can definitely fail, with biometrics failing more often due to how the readers read your prints. Yes, you never leave your fingers somewhere else like an RFID tag, but they just are not reliable enough for me. OK, maybe a long gun vault, but definitely not a speed vault for the bedside table.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm getting pretty sick and tired of both my electronic push button Gunvaults not opening. I've been looking at the Hornady safes as a replacement. Any reviews on those???

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    I know it's not top of the line but I just purchased a Barska. It has biometrics, a keypad, and a key backup. I know it will not keep a bad guy out if he really wants in but it will keep them away from my kids and slow the bad guy down. Paid just under $200 off newegg. Plenty of room for handguns and will hold more as soon as i build a small shelf.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    For what it's worth I prefer a push button with key backup as well as there is less that can go wrong, I was just saying biometric was the best of the two options. I'm a believer in KISS, especially when it comes to something like quick access to a firearm.

This

MrBlue54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    LaPorte
    Pushbutton Fort Knox all the way. No electronics and if you open it once every day for a month or so it becomes second nature.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    One of the gun mags did an extensive test between the bio and the button Gun Vault. The time difference was within the margin of error. Plus the bio didn't always read the first time. I'll see if I can find a link.

As to your specific question, buttons for me. I can open mine in the dark in under 2 sec.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Neither. manual buttons.

But if I had to choose, RFID. Hands down for reliability. Biometrics have issues sometimes with fingerprints. An RFID reader doesnt balk if you hold the card/dongle/wristband wrong. RFID doesnt fail if you are wearing gloves. RFID doesnt fail if you have junk on your hands.

But both can definitely fail, with biometrics failing more often due to how the readers read your prints. Yes, you never leave your fingers somewhere else like an RFID tag, but they just are not reliable enough for me. OK, maybe a long gun vault, but definitely not a speed vault for the bedside table.

^^ THIS ^^ all day long.

Look at the FORT KNOX PISTOL BOX (PB-1)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    On a related note, I was doing some home improvements and I had on my Mechanics work gloves when I decided to gun down and get comfy. I pushed a few buttons on my standard Gunvault with my gloved hand and put my G19 away for the nite. I couldnt do that with biometrics.

PS I did a test with a shot timer comparing a loaded gun in a Gunvault (non biometric) safe vs an unoaded pistol with a full mag next to it. I discovered it was marginally faster for a Gunvault vs an exposed "safe" pistol.

Top Bottom