• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sianbrimons

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Elkhart
    ok, i good friend of mine has a rock island 1911, it's his daily carry and i don't think he's planning on just replacing it, anyhow strait to the problem, bent extractor, it's bent into the center, causing it to chew up casings (bad for sharing brass) and you can't have the slide back and drop a round strait in the barrel and drop the slide down over it...

anyway, to the point, i've read about aftermarket extractors not fitting the RIA 1911, and i cannot find ANY source for a factory replacement, no phone numbers for RIA, nothing.... any have that contact info or know of what can be done to fit a new extractor? any help is appreciated, save the necks of my brass pile!!!!!

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    you can't have the slide back and drop a round strait in the barrel and drop the slide down over it...
    To my knowledge, this is hard on any extractor...if you want one in the pipe, load from the magazine, then eject the magazine and top it off...

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    To my knowledge, this is hard on any extractor...

This ^!
    I wouldn't do it.
    They aren't designed for popping over the case...the design is to let the rim of the case slide up under it.
    Dropping one in the chamber and letting the slide slam home on it can potentially create undue stress and possibly break the hook.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Do a search and read about guns that use "controlled round feeding" like a 1911 does. Rounds must be fed from a magazine. The extractor is made from spring steel and carefully tempered to flex just enough to allow a cartridge rim to slide under the hook when fed from a magazine. Forcing it to bend all the way around so that it snaps over the rim will pretty much trash it very quickly. It will either chip or break or you will destroy the temper of the steel.

sianbrimons

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Elkhart
    ahhh, i had never heard that was bad for the extractor, the bigger issue is that it's trashing casings. wouldn't be any big deal if we weren't reloading, but that being the case, it's going to take a nasty toll on our "community brass". and thanks for that contact info, i'll drop him a line to see if we can get ahold of a new factory extractor, i had read a few issues about aftermarket extractors not fitting into the slide, the last thing we want to do is have to modify brand new parts.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    This ^!
    I wouldn't do it.
    They aren't designed for popping over the case...the design is to let the rim of the case slide up under it.
    Dropping one in the chamber and letting the slide slam home on it can potentially create undue stress and possibly break the hook.

To my knowledge, this is hard on any extractor...if you want one in the pipe, load from the magazine, then eject the magazine and top it off...

I NEVER knew this! Thanks for the lesson and I'm glad I didn't have to learn this one the hard way.

Bonehead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    Vincennes
    the last thing we want to do is have to modify brand new parts.
    Get ready to do just that, there are no true drop in parts for 1911s....... well except maybe grips and their bushings;)

With saying that you could most likely adjust the extractor he already has (the new one would need it too). There are many sources online that explain the adjustment procedure, it just take a little time and effort to get it right ....... here is one I found after a quick search Extractor Tuning Tips

Once you get the extractor adjusted right and if it the issue is still there, you will need to look at the ejector next (could be too long or too short).
    To be honest if the gun is functioning fine with no FTF or FTE but just screwing the brass up I would be betting its an ejector issue..... but thats just my :twocents: :D

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Some 1911's, like the Sig GSR, and the Sig Carry series (and maybe others as well ) , have external extractors that operate on pivot pins, like a see-saw. Dropping the slide on those extractors isn't as risky as doing so in an internal extractor, but it does place unnecessary stress on the extractor. I don't do it, but that's just my opinion.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    ahhh, i had never heard that was bad for the extractor, the bigger issue is that it's trashing casings. wouldn't be any big deal if we weren't reloading, but that being the case, it's going to take a nasty toll on our "community brass". and thanks for that contact info, i'll drop him a line to see if we can get ahold of a new factory extractor, i had read a few issues about aftermarket extractors not fitting into the slide, the last thing we want to do is have to modify brand new parts.

It's trashing casings because the extractor has been subjected to abuse.

I can look around and see if I have an extra one if Ivan wants you to send it in. I'll just tension it to my RIA and it'll be close enough.

If your friend needs it installed, I can do it. Can't accept money and the owner has to stick around as I do not have my FFL yet, but I was trained as a 1911 mechanic a while back.

Josh

hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    I have 2 RIAs. Both were sent back to Ivan at Armscor. The 38 Super extractor was replaced with a Nowlin and my GI 45 (whole pistol) was replaced. I still have both and they are keepers. You'll have to pay shipping to Nevada(unless this policy has changed) however, I got a few freebees for my trouble. I'm not ashamed to ask for something for my trouble. I'm totally happy with both and both are keepers.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    Dropping the slide on a round like that is probably what bent the extractor ...

I have never done this and just wondering why the hell anyone would ?
    to easy to drop the mag back out and load another round , after you load the chamber .

anyway good luck to your friend with his gun ....Live and learn I guess :ingo:

sianbrimons

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Elkhart
    thanks everyone for the advise and contact info! for general information he bought the gun used at midwest here in elkhart, he tells me he's never been able to close the slide on a round like that, an order from the other week at brownells included a new extractor, we'll try throwing that in to see if it's a little more kind on the brass, and we'll make sure not to ram rounds down the pipe as mentioned earlier...

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    Arnel is a "MASTER GUNSMITH" I have never been so happy as to have him work on my Rock Island's. I asked for him to install new front and rear sites and when it came back he did a few more things to make it function better. Feed ramp issues, adjusted the trigger pull, and installed a new barrel because there was something with it that he felt was not right. All done for the price of the site installation, with on the return he sent a nice Armscor towel and stickers, pen, and some Armscor poker chips. Thanks ARMSCOR & ARNEL, you are truly the "MAN!!!!

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    As others have pointed out, you can't beat Armscor for over the top service. I suspect your friend may have been able to buy it when the previous owner screwed it up.

I had no idea why I was taught to feed the extra from the clip and then add the other round. Who knew?:dunno:

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    have you actually removed the extractor? I've seen dirt build up in the extractor channel and force extractors out or in. That's a hella cheap fix.

Myself, I'd have a smith install a good extractor, I find some of the stuff coming on the RIA's to be soft and if I were to carry one for defense (and I won't for this reason) I'd replace that extractor (along with all other small parts).

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    It's trashing casings because the extractor has been subjected to abuse.

I can look around and see if I have an extra one if Ivan wants you to send it in. I'll just tension it to my RIA and it'll be close enough.

If your friend needs it installed, I can do it. Can't accept money and the owner has to stick around as I do not have my FFL yet, but I was trained as a 1911 mechanic a while back.

Josh

What small pieces parts of a RIA compact would you suggest swapping out, just as insurance? My RIA compact is one of my carry guns.

Top Bottom