• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I had an RIA Tactical- it was reliable and accurate, though I admit I did not run it very hard. I remember it being much heavier than other 1911s I have owned.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    I love mine. It's the fullsize FS. It's never failed to function flawlessly. I run FMJ and JHP through it and it's never had a problem. I can throw a 2 - 3 inch pattern with it at 25 feet consistantly. I'm not a competition shooter but for self defense that sure seems good enough to stop a threat.

To me it's a terrific gun and I'd recommend one to anyone that wants a 1911.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I've owned several. My current officers model runs fine now. I have had two issues with it, one severe, one not so severe. The ejector failed (severe) and the firing pin stop was letting the extractor clock like crazy. I've replaced both myself rather than send it off. I've also replaced all springs, firing pin, sear, disconnect, hammer, slide-stop, extractor, trigger as well as the aforementioned ejector and FP stop. I now trust the gun 100% as the replacement parts are top-notch and really the only things left are the slide, barrel/bushing, mainspring housing, mag release and frame.

They do eat all types of ammo, at least the four I've owned have and they are plenty accurate for CCW. I just don't think they're ready for CCW out of the box, IMO, the small parts aren't up to snuff.

Nightwalker65

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Seymour
    I've got the full size, and like it well enough I'm going to get the compact tactical, great out of the box...even better with a custom parts!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I shot my new to me commander RIA today and it did very well. Accuracy was good, recoil wasn't bad, feel was great. I really like it and look forward to carrying it on a regular basis. :yesway:

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    My FS Tactical has been great. No problems in 450 rounds. The only thing I didn't like was the grips. That was easily remedied.

IMG_1579-1.jpg

Lucion

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Avon
    I have the full size parkerized A1-FS. I prefer it over my Para GI. For the $ you can't go wrong. If it doesn't quite float your boat, it's a great base gun to add or upgrade to your preference. I wish I had a link to offer but Para has worked some sort of deal for Armscor to build their GI Expert.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    If you buy a $500 gun expecting everything under the heavens and sun, you will probobly be disappointed. If you buy a $500 RIA expecting a $500 RIA, you will be pleasantly surprised by what you get for your money. I have a FS 5" tactical. I love it. I haven't had too many problems (a few FTFeed) with it. It is a range gun for me. It's too heavy for EDC for me IMO. It is more accurate than I am. All said and done, I'm very happy with the money I spent on it.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I'm planning to get one in the next few weeks. Not so much for carry, more for a range gun, so I will most likely buy a full size, I haven't heard many bad things about the gun or service and the price is good, so I'm gonna give it a go.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    I bought a 5" standard RIA a few years ago for $350 and put 1000 rounds of 230gr ball ammo through it as a function check. It had a few failures to return to battery over the first 250 rounds, but over the next 750 I experienced no issues. It was a good pistol.

I don't think I'd pay $450-500 for one though. The Springfield Mil-Spec can be had for not much more, and the couple Mil-Specs I've handled seem to be more competently finished. I sold the RIA for what I had into it. If I were to buy another 1911 I'd get the SA Mil-Spec, bob the hammer, pop in a non-locking MSH, install night sights, and fit a King's Gun Works ambidextrous safety.

Also, note that the compact RIA has a 4" barrel, not the 4.25" barrel found in actual Commander models.

:twocents:

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Ive had 2 a government type and a tactical and I love em very comparable to a springfield the only bad is the finish isnt as good as the more mainstream 1911s out there for the price you cant beat em as far as a 1911 goes im very happy with mine

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    I traded off my FS A1, but still have a CS and an FS Tactical. True, the finish isn't up to a Springfield, but I didn't buy them to look at, I bought them to shoot. In that regard, I love 'em all.
    Several thousand rounds total between them and the only problem I ever had were a few FTFs due to a cheap magazine. I threw that in the trash and haven't had a problem since. I'm thinking about getting a nickel plated FS next.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Mine was supposed to arrive back from Arnel today by 2pm (didn't make it).
    The barrel has gone in for work. Now they have the whole gun.
    I will say that their customer service is very much aimed to please you and get things right...I just haven't had the "heavens parting and a beam of sunlight falling on a perfect gun" experience, yet. (I say "yet" because I'm still hoping it happens just like I keep reading from everybody else!)

Got it back today.
    Stopped at the range on the way home...and it seems to function well.
    (At least 40 rounds worth, anyhow)
    Here's the bushing that the smith marked with a white arrow (not necessary because it's VERY obvious where the chip is)...

IMG_1786.jpg

IMG_1784.jpg

IMG_1778.jpg

hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    I have two RIAs. Both have been back to Parumph. 38 Super(which is now a 9mm) for extractor issues and my govt model for frame damage. The govt model was replaced by a Tactical model (thanks Ivan). I've had zero issues with both pistols. Been looking at the STI 9mm Spartan though. Armscor frame with STI parts. Plan on shooting Single Stack at the SS/Prod/Revo match in October. I have two 1911 to choose from. RIA Tactical or Kimber Classic Custom Stainless. Both are reliable, accurate, and eat my 45ACP lead reloads. Jury is out at this point.

AzNooB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    They make inexpensive hobby guns and I wouldn't be using them for anything more serious than USPSA/IDPA.

longhuntr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought a tactcal in 9mm this morning from Bob in Plainfield.This is my 3rd RIA.I shot about 100 rds this afternoon, after spraying it down with rem oil to get the shipping gunk out of it. grouping about 3" at 25yds out of the box with cheap Federal fmj.I'll probably polish up the trigger a little to cut down on the sharp finger grooves,and shoot the hell out of it.I went to the Wicked grips website after I got home, so a grip change will be next.It seems to work as well as anything else made these days.Bob has nothing bad to say about them, that should count for something.

Hazwhopper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    I like them also. I have one that is good looking and from what others tell me that I can use Colt replacement parts.
    The great thing that I liked was that my first shooting experience with it was great. It was very accurate and it felt as if I could just point and hit whatever I aimed at. It was like no trouble at all.
    Thumbs up!

Top Bottom