• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I was out in Colorado last week and stopped by Gunsmoke. I was a fan of the show American Guns, even though we all know some parts were a bit hokey.

Regardless, I spent about 45 minutes talking to Rich and was very impressed by his knowledge of guns and training. We all know TV doesn't portray things accurately and I sort of got the impression from the show Rich was just a regular guy that owned a gun store. His training and proficiency go back a long way. He trained with Col. Cooper extensively and worked with him quite a bit back in the day. Even went on safari with him. In fact, he was one of Cooper's 12 Shooting Masters-those that Cooper believed had obtained a "doctorate" in shooting. Awerbuck, Clint Smith and Pat Rogers were also among these 12. So, clearly there is some substance behind his TV persona.

Anyway, just wanted to share that. I thoroughly enjoyed my time talking to him, especially since I'm a big fan of Cooper and it was neat to speak to someone with so much time firsthand with the Col.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Thanks for sharing, expat. I believe I read somewhere that he had a background in law enforcement. Did he mention anything about that?

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Thanks for sharing, expat. I believe I read somewhere that he had a background in law enforcement. Did he mention anything about that?

Yeah, he was a cop. I can't remember which department. One of the ones around Denver. Maybe Arvada? I can't remember. He was a firearms instructor at the Academy for a number of years and it turns out we have some mutual friends in that area. I can't remember if he said how long he was a LEO but it was long enough that he's actually retired with retired credentials and everything.

I think it would've been awesome to be in those Gunsite circles back in the day. Can you imagine? Col. Cooper, Awerbuck, Rogers, Smith, all these guys in one spot? This was when a lot of the tactics we take for granted now were really cutting edge and not well received in some circles.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Pics of his daughter or it didn't happen.
    THIS!!

actualy one of the 'reality TV' shows that could hold my attention. Good looking normal family and a lot better ambassadors for our group than the 'sons of guns' white trash morons! At least that's my opinion of both groups TV personas . I don't personally know any of them. Saw joe at the NRA show and he looked like the same scrony ***** he is on tv.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I liked the show as for the most part they seem very knowledgeable but the only issues was the prices thet talk about seem sky high.

Yeah, the prices were ridiculous. I think they must have been for the show only. I doubt anyone that knew guns (and many of the customers did), would pay those prices. Like that crazy 870 modification price, for example. If you see it on TV, you can't really trust it.

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    The two oldest kids on the show were his step kids who moved out there from the east coast to be on the show so I wonder if they really work at the shop or if it was strickly for the show. You can find the girl posting things on Facebook and probably on youtube if you look...

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    The two oldest kids on the show were his step kids who moved out there from the east coast to be on the show so I wonder if they really work at the shop or if it was strickly for the show. You can find the girl posting things on Facebook and probably on youtube if you look...

I didn't know this but I didn't really ask about his family or the show. We talked mostly about guns and Col. Cooper.

If you remember, the show ended with Kurt saying he was going to go out to Italy against his Dad's wishes so that he could learn some new engraving technique. My son was curious how that ended so he asked Rich. Rich said that he (Rich) won that argument :) We didn't push further. But, I know Kurt has been a firearms instructor with the company for years, training since he was 13 (according to the website), so it would seem that he was there prior to the show? I don't really know though.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I thought the show was pretty decent, except for the exploding stuff at the end of everyone… kind of hokey. I also thought the prices for their work was over the top, but you did get to see some pretty cool private collections and such.

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I have seen him on some of the gun shows before on Sportsmen Channel but I can't remember what show it was. The shows were old repeats from before the Discovery show he had. You can do a little look up online and read about who his exwife tried to take him for a lot of money and he was force to hand over a few nice firearms in his divorce before he married his current wife in the early 2000's. I do find it nice he takes time out to talk with people who stop by. Go to you tube and look up Kurt Grewcock to find some old videos of the shop before they filmed American Guns...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom