• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost."

- John Quincy Adams

"When you vote for the lesser of two evils, you are still voting for evil."

- ???

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost."

- John Quincy Adams

- ???

Oh! Quotes!

"Tilting at Windmills hurts you more than the windmill." Lazarus Long

"It doesn't matter how great the politician who loses the election is." David Burkhead

"I think we can still win this." George Armstrong Custer.

Just because John Quincy Adams said it doesn't make it right.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

- John Quincy Adams

John Quincy Adams? A lawyer, and a hereditary and lifetime professional politician? He's obviously a scoundrel and cad. Why should we listen to him?*

*Thus, such passes for logic on INGO.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

- John Quincy Adams

- ???

All along I have stated that there are 2 perfectly acceptable candidates in this race. I'd gladly vote for either. There is no "lesser" of evil argument to be debated because neither are evil. Both are also principled so I've got that covered too.

Thanks for your support, I do appreciate it. Its nice when others see the light and are willing to pat me on the back.

Consequently I am voting FOR a good candidate (John Hostettler) as well as voting AGAINST a bad one (Dan Coats).

But I would just as gladly vote FOR a different good candidate (Marlin Stutzman) if I felt he could win. I simply am looking at the numbers and it does not appear that Mr Stutzman can win and unless there is some dramatic shift in the next half dozen days, then I will be gladly voting for Hostettler.

But those folks who BLINDLY follow some misguided belief that voting for a candidate that cannot win is a good idea, then to you folks I submit that is EXACTLY why we have Obama in the White House today. We splintered our conservative vote, we lost. And apparently some people are too damn stupid to learn from that ****ing mistake. :xmad:

EDIT: BY THE WAY, it appears that Stutzman is gaining some ground based on national reports. If that continues then I may switch my support to Stutzman but only if it looks like he will be able to gain enough ground to beat Coats. Currently the national media is still claiming that the race is between COATS and HOSTETTLER. But like I've said, there are 2 very acceptable candidates in this race. Stutzman and Hostettler. Currently it appears that Hostettler has the best chance of defeating Coats. Stutzman would really need a "perfect storm" to pull this off and with 1 week to go I simply don't see those storm clouds brewing but I'm keeping my eyes open for them.

Last edited:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have been a supporter of Stutzman, but his views on the government providing a safety net and intervening in the private business sector trouble me. I was considering one of the minor candidates as an alternative. This thread has presented a very clear presentation of the need for conservatives to unite behind one candidate. Since I cannot, any longer, support Stutzman, I will opt for Hostettler. I encourage all conservatives to close ranks behind him.The others are good, but we must stop Coats. He is a progressive and will only continue to do what he has done. "If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have already gotten." Do not repeat the error of 2008 and split the conservative vote.:twocents::patriot:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    . . . I was considering one of the minor candidates as an alternative. This thread has presented a very clear presentation of the need for conservatives to unite behind one candidate. . . The others are good, but we must stop Coats. He is a progressive and will only continue to do what he has done . . . Do not repeat the error of 2008 and split the conservative vote.:twocents::patriot:

Exactly, you got it right!

We need to unite.

As long as we are splitting our votes then COATS wins.

As are you, my plan is to support Hostettler. He is also the MOST VIABLE candidate in this primary who has a REAL CHANCE of defeating Coats.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I have been a supporter of Stutzman, but his views on the government providing a safety net and intervening in the private business sector trouble me. I was considering one of the minor candidates as an alternative. This thread has presented a very clear presentation of the need for conservatives to unite behind one candidate. Since I cannot, any longer, support Stutzman, I will opt for Hostettler. I encourage all conservatives to close ranks behind him.The others are good, but we must stop Coats. He is a progressive and will only continue to do what he has done. "If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have already gotten." Do not repeat the error of 2008 and split the conservative vote.:twocents::patriot:

Thank you! It's nice to see that someone gets it.
    :patriot::patriot::patriot:

xd9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Well I'll stick with Stutzman. I have plans for Hostettler in 2012 and its called LUGAR..

This train well_get_turned around!!

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Well I'll stick with Stutzman. I have plans for Hostettler in 2012 and its called LUGAR..

This train well_get_turned around!!

Let me understand. You will support the guy who can beat Coats, but only when he faces Lugar. . . But you won't support him today. The guy you will support is in 3rd place with little chance of passing a guy you admit you will support 2 years from now? That is some bizarre logic. Seems like you are probably a Coats supporter who is trying to keep the conservative voters fractured.

xd9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Let me understand. You will support the guy who can beat Coats, but only when he faces Lugar. . . But you won't support him today. The guy you will support is in 3rd place with little chance of passing a guy you admit you will support 2 years from now? That is some bizarre logic. Seems like you are probably a Coats supporter who is trying to keep the conservative voters fractured.

lol, not a Coats supporter by any means, just supporting the best candidate.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    lol, not a Coats supporter by any means, just supporting the best candidate.

So you say. But he is no within striking distanse of a win. That much seems obvious. That being the case you are, by default splitting the conservatives and supporting Coats. I'll know who to blame when the election results are announced and Coats is announced as the winner. Thanks.

xd9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    So you say. But he is no within striking distanse of a win. That much seems obvious. That being the case you are, by default splitting the conservatives and supporting Coats. I'll know who to blame when the election results are announced and Coats is announced as the winner. Thanks.

I'm done worrying about splitting votes. Those days are GONE since 9-12-09 and so your voting for your candidate because of worrying about splitting votes? STAND UP!! OH, I have no concerns with my guy and I don't jump on bandwagons.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Gotcha.

But as for your comment about standing up. The facts are that politically you don't even have a frigging voice if you don't have like minded people in office. Using your logic you will be alone, standing up in your back yard, screaming into the wind. Nobody but your neighbors will hear you. Your message clearly won't matter to Coats or Ellsworth in Washington.

Sorry, but your logic is terribly flawed.

You admitted that you want Hostettler in Washington as one of our Senators. But you also, with forked tongue stated that you can't vote for him now. WTF? Maybe you need a cup of coffee to get you alert because as fine a man as Stutzman is, this certainly does NOT appear to be his time.

Perhaps you should vote for Hostettler, who you said you'd support, and do so THIS ELECTION, and then at the NEXT election you could support Stutzman to replace Lugar. That might make a heck of a lot more sense. Or you can STAND UP, and STAND ALONE, in your little back yard, screaming into the wind, knowing that you sent Coats or Ellsworth to Washington to represent YOU with their voice.

xd9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Gotcha.

But as for your comment about standing up. The facts are that politically you don't even have a frigging voice if you don't have like minded people in office. Using your logic you will be alone, standing up in your back yard, screaming into the wind. Nobody but your neighbors will hear you. Your message clearly won't matter to Coats or Ellsworth in Washington.

Sorry, but your logic is terribly flawed.

You admitted that you want Hostettler in Washington as one of our Senators. But you also, with forked tongue stated that you can't vote for him now. WTF? Maybe you need a cup of coffee to get you alert because as fine a man as Stutzman is, this certainly does NOT appear to be his time.

Perhaps you should vote for Hostettler, who you said you'd support, and do so THIS ELECTION, and then at the NEXT election you could support Stutzman to replace Lugar. That might make a heck of a lot more sense. Or you can STAND UP, and STAND ALONE, in your little back yard, screaming into the wind, knowing that you sent Coats or Ellsworth to Washington to represent YOU with their voice.

Dude Hostettler is a fine candidate and your NOT going to convince me otherwise. If Hostettler co-wrote Indiana's lifetime gun permit, if Hostettler was rated A+ by the NRA I'd reconsider but you know what, he_did_NOT,,, FACT!! I stand firm with Marlin Stutzman with home school and public education ideas over Hostettler. I agree with Stutzman with Immigration reform and taxes. Hostettler is close with many of these ideas but doesn't seal the vote for me. I have NO reason to believe Stutzman is not going to win this thing. I see polls daily and see know otherwise and just because Stutzman is winning in many polls STILL doesn't make me jump on his bandwagon. I'm not flawed, I AM unafraid!!

photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The only difference between Hostettler and Coats is the number of amendments they've trashed.

Hostettler 2 (1st and 4th with some impact on the 5th)
    Coats 1 (2nd)

I'm actually glad to see that at least one of you is considering switching to Stutzman away from Hostettler - although I'm saddened that it takes a rise in the polls for you to consider another candidate. If only you could vote for the candidate you consider best to represent our state, instead of voting against the one you despise.

The polling data that should be released tomorrow is rumored to have Coats quite low (which will relieve the anxiety in those of you who live and die by polling) - so we can then enter a phase in this debate whereby we can discuss merits of candidates - not who is most likey to defeat Darth Dan.:D

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Well I mailed in my ballot today. I voted for who I felt was the best canidate. I will see how it comes out next week. I also gave the guy 25 bucks to help him get his views out. Do I agree with all of his thoughts nope sure don't but I feel he would represent me best. We all need to vote who we think will represent us best. I agree we do not want to split our votes but this will happen no matter so support your canidate and maybe give them money so they can get there views out to reach more voters in these last few days. Just my :twocents:.

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    He is a long shot but seems to have the right stuff.

What do you think?
    To the OP's original question. What do i think? I have supported Richard Behney because he is a regular guy that shares the same values as i do, understands the issues in essentially the same terms as i do. He has had the guts to put his own career and life on hold to give this run a shot, so to better the country for his children and other Americans. I think he'd view issues in the same way i would. From the prospective of a guy trying to make a living without interference from the federal government. He is the small business guy. the outsider. the underdog.

is he perfect? no. but he's not bought off, and he's not a cynic.

But after being abandoned by the very Tea Party folks from which he came... so they can choose from the same oligarchy of landed gentry and Washington insiders... i would not blame him one bit if he does become cynical.

People get the government they deserve. If they continue to elect their overlords from those the controlled media would have them choose from, then they will continue to be serfs and slaves.

it's a shame.

xd9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    the last two post are awesome!! ditto's to you both and good luck with your Candidate.

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    People get the government they deserve. If they continue to elect their overlords from those the controlled media would have them choose from, then they will continue to be serfs and slaves.

it's a shame.

:+1: I'm sick and tried of voting for the guy/gal who the media tells me will win. The media has no reason to influence the polls do they? :rolleyes:

I've never understood the "you'll split the vote" crowd at the primary level. Who the F cares? This isn't the general election where it matters to split the vote. Does the media tell us one candidate has a better chance over the other? Sure, and why is that? Do I have my tin foil on too tight, maybe but after following politics fairly closely for the past two years I've seen the media sway the voters one way or the other too many times.....and for what reason. hmmmmm

Whom ever wins the primary, that is when it's most important for Conservatives, Independents, Libertarian and the like to stand behind that candidate. If those people voted the person who most closely followed their values and beliefs AND then the majority voted for them in the general election they would win.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results". - Albert Einstein

I'm sick and tired of being insane....I'm doing things differently.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    :+1: I'm sick and tried of voting for the guy/gal who the media tells me will win. The media has no reason to influence the polls do they? :rolleyes:

So instead you vote for the guy who has no chance whatsoever leading to the guy you would least like to see in office winning in the end.

:rolleyes: right back at you.

Also, it's not the media saying who is likely or not to win except when they report the results of various polls. But the polls come first.

Now, if you want to dispute the polls, that's another thing. However, you may want to consider that some of the various polling organizations--particularly Rassmussen--have very good track records when it comes to predicting results. Dismissing those results for no more reason than one doesn't like them is very bad "logic" indeed.

I've never understood the "you'll split the vote" crowd at the primary level. Who the F cares? This isn't the general election where it matters to split the vote.
    What does it matter? Consider the upcoming election. Either Stutzman or Hostetler would make a "reasonably good" (since neither is perfect some will call them a "lesser evil is still evil" type, but I would consider either "reasonably good") senator. Behney might as well--hard to say when all you really have to go on is campaign promises since he has no track record wrt actual voting on issues. Coats would be, IMO, a disaster.

So, come next Tuesday, suppose the vote went something like this:

Hostetler: 35% of the vote
    Stutzman: 20% of the vote
    Behney: 8% of the vote
    Other candidates and write-ins: 1% of the vote
    Coats: 36% of the vote.

The "more conservative" votes were split 3 ways so the result is that Coats, the most "liberal" candidate there, is the one who is on the ticket in November.

Just 1% plus one vote shifting from Stutzman or Behney to Hostetler would have put a much more conservative candidate on the November ticket.

Does the media tell us one candidate has a better chance over the other? Sure, and why is that? Do I have my tin foil on too tight, maybe but after following politics fairly closely for the past two years I've seen the media sway the voters one way or the other too many times.....and for what reason. hmmmmm
    People here aren't citing the media. Claiming media bias is a straw man.

Whom ever wins the primary, that is when it's most important for Conservatives, Independents, Libertarian and the like to stand behind that candidate. If those people voted the person who most closely followed their values and beliefs AND then the majority voted for them in the general election they would win.
    Sorry but that's exactly backwards and that's what's got us to where we are now. If the more conservative/libertarian candidates never even make it to the general election then you can kiss having more conservative/libertarian individuals actually going to Washington goodbye.

The conservative/libertarian candidates cannot win in November unless they first win in May.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results". - Albert Einstein

I'm sick and tired of being insane....I'm doing things differently.
    Except you are doing exactly what has been done before: splitting the conservative/libertarian vote multiple ways leaving the liberal/RINO's, which are not split, to go to Washington.

One side splitting its vote among multiple candidates has never worked well for that side (except possibly when the other side has been equally split).

My prediction for Tuesday remains:
    Most of the votes will be for the more right-leaning candidates but, since those votes will be divided among different candidates, the most left-leaning candidate on the ballot, Coats, will win.

Top Bottom