• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Don't get me wrong, I loved the mopar's, the Cuda in particular. But when you closed the door, it would sound like a raccoon was in the silverware drawer...

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    There was a little fly by night car lot in the town I lived in mid '70's that had two Boss 429 Mustangs for sale. Seems like they were priced in the mid to upper 3k range. Oh to have a time machine!

Does anybody believe they'll be having these conversations in 50 years about the current models?

"I remember back in '19 there was a guy on Craigslist that had a '17 GT500 and he only wanted 50k for it, oh to have a time machine!"

I think not. I think the current prices have so stretched the envelope that other than a couple of rare instances people won't have any interest in internal combustion any more.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The fit and finish on those were even worse than the other Plymouth/Dodge's of the era. That nose cap was wobbly and proud to the metal by a quarter of an inch in places.

Everyone in high school that bought a Cuda or Charger would do a tuck and roll on the door panels to hold down the rattles and keep you from seeing the cracks, because they all cracked over time.

Or you could just buy a Ford or GM and have nice interior and even A/C if you desired.

I don't know if you were ever in a Buick GSX 455 stage1 before but it had it all, class and dash...

(505 ft/lbs of torque!)

Olds 442 W-30 was near the same deal. Brute torque. Lots of balls. Interiors wee nice and held up. Body panels fit up pretty well.

I owned a few MoPars. Mainly early/mid 60's and some late 60's. We turned them out of the auctions around the state but the 2 I personally owned for a length of time were a 1964 Dodge Polara and a 70 Duster. The Polara got the Hemi up-grade early on. What a chore that was. 3 peddle car so it hauled tail but my buddy's LS6 454 we stuffed into his Nova could put a car on me every time. We even swapped cars and yup, that BB Chevy would eat that 426 every time. But I really loved that Polara.

The Duster was a rattle trap with a 340 in it. Spent stupid money on upgrades and yes it would get with it but still basically a turd.
    I liked the look but was sorely disappointed in the car.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There was a little fly by night car lot in the town I lived in mid '70's that had two Boss 429 Mustangs for sale. Seems like they were priced in the mid to upper 3k range. Oh to have a time machine!

Does anybody believe they'll be having these conversations in 50 years about the current models?

"I remember back in '19 there was a guy on Craigslist that had a '17 GT500 and he only wanted 50k for it, oh to have a time machine!"

I think not. I think the current prices have so stretched the envelope that other than a couple of rare instances people won't have any interest in internal combustion any more.

Just like the current crop of what passes for music you are spot on.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Olds 442 W-30 was near the same deal. Brute torque. Lots of balls. Interiors wee nice and held up. Body panels fit up pretty well.

I owned a few MoPars. Mainly early/mid 60's and some late 60's. We turned them out of the auctions around the state but the 2 I personally owned for a length of time were a 1964 Dodge Polara and a 70 Duster. The Polara got the Hemi up-grade early on. What a chore that was. 3 peddle car so it hauled tail but my buddy's LS6 454 we stuffed into his Nova could put a car on me every time. We even swapped cars and yup, that BB Chevy would eat that 426 every time. But I really loved that Polara.

The Duster was a rattle trap with a 340 in it. Spent stupid money on upgrades and yes it would get with it but still basically a turd.
    I liked the look but was sorely disappointed in the car.

One of my friends had a '72 W-30 convertible, powder blue with white stripes, white top and white interior. I loved that thing. In fact I have had a '72 Cutlass convertible in the garage since 1982 screaming to be made into one.

It is currently a 350 but a 455 engine actually weighs less. It is a Florida car and the undercarriage looks new...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    One of my friends had a '72 W-30 convertible, powder blue with white stripes, white top and white interior. I loved that thing. In fact I have had a '72 Cutlass convertible in the garage since 1982 screaming to be made into one.

It is currently a 350 but a 455 engine actually weighs less. It is a Florida car and the undercarriage looks new...

Being of "That" age I traded my 69 442 (I really did not like that car from he day I signed the papers) for a brand new 70 W-30. Dark jade with white stripes. I got rid of the hideous spoiler as soon as I found a matching paint donor car that the owner wanted the spoiler. I owned it until early 1980. It had 80K on the clock when I pulled it out of the barn. Stored properly for 3+ years. Sold it for right at what I paid for it. Wish I had kept it but the family farm was on the block and I had to move the car. Last I heard maybe 5 years ago the guy that bought it still had it. I hope he does.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere

Nope, hot rods happened because you could work on the old cars. The current computers on wheels will go away because you won't be able to find or fix any of the crap that's in them and they won't run without it.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Nope, hot rods happened because you could work on the old cars. The current computers on wheels will go away because you won't be able to find or fix any of the crap that's in them and they won't run without it.

But now cars are much safer and better for the environment. :):

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Just bought the wife a Ford Fusion Hybrid, getting 48-50 mpg with the darn thing.

Almost makes me want to put the Offenhauser dual 4 barrel intake back on the Olds.

The world needs balance...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just bought the wife a Ford Fusion Hybrid, getting 48-50 mpg with the darn thing.

Almost makes me want to put the Offenhauser dual 4 barrel intake back on the Olds.

The world needs balance...

After letting my last muscle era car go last year the shop is only inhabited by my SIL 71 Buick Riviera. It is in need of some attention but his funds are being consumed by the terrorists in my avatar. I miss rolling out on Saturday night after the chores are done.

Top Bottom