Really, Horn?
    t555k8.jpg

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I like the way the XD looks and feels, it naturally points when you lift it to eye level, and the glock is kinda akward the way you have to lean your hands forward when you pointl

While I have owned and believed in Glocks, I just couldn't get to like the feel of the larger framed models. I own and prefer Glocks in the smaller framed guns, but went with the XD in .45 ACP. Actually, I have tried (3) of them with the same results. Even though they feel great in my hand, I now regret it. My complaint is simply reliability. I have had issues with certain ammo with particular bullet profiles... To be fair to the XD, maybe they have fixed this issue. I just don't know. The link below describes the issue. I have had this issue happen in all (3) when shooting certain types of ammo.

Click here: The Continuing Mag Problem, Part2 w/Pics - XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source!

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    Also, don't get a 1911 if you don't like the glock grip angle.

What?!!

Totally disagree!

I agree with the OP and his description of the Glock "feel".

I sold my Glocks for the same reason, good reliable guns, just didn't like the feel.

Love my XDm and have not looked back.

As for the Glock and 1911 grips having the same feel......LOL!!!!

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    What are your guys' thoughts on a Springfield XD-45 4" for OC/CC, home defense, and the occasional target shooting with my homeys?

I think it's a pretty awesome choice. :)

I'm looking for a reliable, all around platform that's not gunna break the bank.

You found it. :yesway:

Is that even the best choice in the $5-600

Yes.

...or am I better off going with something else?

Highly doubtful. Maybe an XDm.

Bust out some knowledge for a newb. :rockwoot:

XDs rock. Don't listen to the haters. :cool:

Most of them aren't very wise. :D

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Really, Horn?
    t555k8.jpg

Um, yes, really. Look at your own picture. The grip angle is enough degrees different to throw you off. Well, me, anyway; you may be an outlier. I know I've had to consciously aim Glocks lower to get on target. I don't want to have to be conscious of things like that in crisis, and starting from a 1911 it makes the Glock wrong. Starting from a Glock, the 1911 is wrong. Everybody's wrong, so nobody is. Yeah, I know, the Ruger MkX is even worse, but I don't figure on killing anything but paper with that. I do have an XDm .40, and the only reason I wouldn't carry that is the mag release is an *******. If that clears up, I may reconsider.

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    Why is it that everyone who dislikes the XD always mentions the grip safety? Yet the almighty 1911 uses the same style grip safety and no one has ever complained about it. And the claim that the XD is bulkier than the Glock, not so in the .45. I used to drink the Glock Kool-Aid until I wanted a .45. The grip on the Gen3 Glock 21 is HUGE, I have large hands and still had trouble with it. That is why I decided to buy an XD. After that first XD purchase I left the bandwagon and sold my Glocks and replaced them XDs. Rant off.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I only rarely target shoot so ammo price isn't a problem, plus I like the extra stopping power of the .45 round (reason for selling 9mm and .380 after I get it) But the explosions don't sound all that great. lol I like the 1911 in .45 but I don't like the single action or the price tag on a nice one (Quality), but....continue plz

.45 might mean that you carry fewer rounds, or the loaded gun will be heavier than with a comparable number of another caliber.

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I don't think there's anything wrong with glock, XD, hk, Walther, whatever. Buying a gun is like dating a girl; you take it out on date, see if you like what it offers, and, if you do, you marry it. Sometimes, that includes overlooking or getting used to some quirks. I love my glock, rapid fires like a dream, but IMO the sights aren't the best. But I still use it, it just took some practice with sight placement. Then came my PPQ, at first I found it to be very snappy and found it shooting upper left from POA. A little grip training, a sight adjustment with the help of a laser pointer shell, and it's now my most accurate fire arm. I've shot xd, xdm, in 9, 40, and 45, they were all accurate and seemingly reliable. The grip safety really only effected me the first time I tried to pull the slide back. After that I forgot about it. I've even considered buying the 3.8" xdm subcompact 45. The trigger is nice, the sights are easy to pick up, I love the mags, they come with a butt load of extras. There's not much to say. Though, I have heard the stainless models have an issue with pitting. My recommendation would be to go to the range and try every gun you can pick up. I find most shooters to be willing, if not excited, to let you try their guns. I know I let anyone who asks to try mine out. Yesterday I fired two 9mm's, a 9mm AR, a 10mm 1911, a .45 1911, a SW .44 magnum, a SW .460 hand cannon, and a .22 AR! Show interest, and most will let you shoot thier guns. :D Since the first time I went shooting, not long ago, to now, my world, opinions, and tastes have grown exponentially.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Save some extra cash and get a xdm. I shot a friends xd 40 a few times and it never really impressed me but I love my xdm 45 and I plan on getting a 5.25 when the time comes. Then Maybe a 3.8 compact. Then a xd-s. Wait am I getting carried away?

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Um, yes, really. Look at your own picture. The grip angle is enough degrees different to throw you off. Well, me, anyway; you may be an outlier. I know I've had to consciously aim Glocks lower to get on target. I don't want to have to be conscious of things like that in crisis, and starting from a 1911 it makes the Glock wrong. Starting from a Glock, the 1911 is wrong. Everybody's wrong, so nobody is. Yeah, I know, the Ruger MkX is even worse, but I don't figure on killing anything but paper with that. I do have an XDm .40, and the only reason I wouldn't carry that is the mag release is an *******. If that clears up, I may reconsider.
    Pull out your protractor. It is the same angle.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Why is it that everyone who dislikes the XD always mentions the grip safety? Yet the almighty 1911 uses the same style grip safety and no one has ever complained about it.
    The grip safety is a lot different than on a 1911. Also note, that is not my reason for not wanting one, however, it is for a lot of people.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Look into the compact, all the usefulness of the service (with the extended mags) with the conceability of the sub-compact (with the smaller mags). Picked mine up from ZX Guns a couple years ago for $525.

DSC00154.JPG

Swapped the hogue grip for a crimson trace laser grip and carry it comfortably in a Crossbreed supertuck holster.

+1, a buddy of mine has the XD 45 compact and with the 10 rd flush mag it is easy to CC (if that is your preference) and with the extended 13rd mag makes it a nice service size gun. Best of both worlds.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    OP:
    I've been carrying a a XD 4" in .45 for years. It was my first pistol and might be last one I'd sell. If you like it, get it, carry it, shoot it and laugh at all the haters here.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    I bought a XD .45ACP Compact in 2010. Great gun, easy to shoot well. I use the compact 10 rnd magazine for concealed carry, and carry a full size 13 rnd magazine for backup. This is my EDC. With the 10 rnd magazine, the gun is slightly larger than a Glock 19. My son likes this gun so much, that HE bought one. Springfield Armory

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I'm too lazy to read all the posts this morning but I had an XD in .40 S&W and got tired of the weight. I went to a Glock 22 which was lighter and held 2 more rounds. However I love my G30 in .45 auto. It holds 10 + 1, is light, doesn't kick hard, is considered a compact and is very accurate with a good factory trigger. You just can't beat a .45. Many gun writers have stated they consider it about the only caliber that will put a bad guy down even if the hollow point slug doesn't open up. You can get a new one for $547 from Buds with free shipping to a FFL of your choice and probably pay a $20 transfer fee.

Glock G30SF 45 10RD FS $547.00 SHIPS FREE

Another great feature about Glocks is that a compact or subcompact will accept the magazine for its full size big brother. You can carry a spare 13 rounder made for the G21 and it will lock in to your g30.

Now don't pay attention to any of the other posters trying to lead you astray. Go Austrian. :D

Top Bottom