My rail machine:

P1050673Large.jpg

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I've ridden in those down the Union Pacific back in Grand Junction, Colorado. Top speed: 20-30 mph (while on the tracks). Nothing special at all with these trucks. Think of the wheels that ride the rails as seperate axles that aren't powered. They lift the truck up enough for the back tire to make contact with the rail. Once you're done being on the rails, get to a crossing and crank the wheels up so you are fully on the ground and drive like normal.

The speed limit is in place so you do not derail. And those guys who think its a smooth ride, think again :): Unless you're on welded rail it's a heck of a bumpy ride. I'd take one and armor it when SHTF, mostly because I know where most tracks in Indianapolis/Indiana/Lafayette lead to. Just like regular roads there are a lot of backways on the tracks. I wouldn't recommend doing this though. If its that bad, just get an actual engine.

Although, I'd be surprised if many here knew how to start up a GP-30, a Dash 9, or just about any ACE type units :)

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    It was a work of fiction, but I remember reading about an idea where a guy modified a bike with an outrigger to ride the rails. I'd think that the actual mechanics of it would be a bit hard to figure out given the width of a rail vs the width of a standard bike tire, but it's always stuck in the back of my head as something I should try to figure out, just to have another option in the bank....

Not a work of fiction, btw. :cool:

Rail Bike - BikeHacks

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draisine

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    Just got off the phone with a friend that is a retired ConRail employee, he said that there's nothing special with those trucks. 56.5 inch inside width of the rail, with an outside width of about 62 inches depending on the width of the T rail.

Throw in some oversized tires and all you need is the under carriage mounts to the frame.

Stop and think, other than when tracks enter a town, they're off the beaten path and in remote areas most of the time. Plus if used at night you don't need to light up the roadway like you would for normal driving, hit the cruise and ride and you can be fully aware of what is going on around you with out having to steer and pay attention to road hazards.
    Maybe what I saw was a specialty truck for a narrow gauge line.
    It was a suburban, or what ever they call the 4 door suv's nowadays,
    and the wheels were inside the wheel wells about 4 to 6 inches, nowhere
    near what an off the lot truck looks like. It looked like if it took a turn at
    45 it would roll over. Guess you learn something everyday.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Maybe what I saw was a specialty truck for a narrow gauge line.
    It was a suburban, or what ever they call the 4 door suv's nowadays,
    and the wheels were inside the wheel wells about 4 to 6 inches, nowhere
    near what an off the lot truck looks like. It looked like if it took a turn at
    45 it would roll over. Guess you learn something everyday.

I've seen those... It could also be that now that Chevy is making their trucks SO DARN BIG that they are now wider than a railroad track.

I know that the different gauges take different vehicles. (duh!) When I was in Austria, there was an old (~1880s era) track that was still in use that was only about a 2-3 foot spread on the track.

Definitely want to rig up a motorcycle for those tracks.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Elaborate please.

Hate to give away all my routes and secrets but there is more to this than rolling the rails. A lot of abandoned rail beds around. They are not smooth super hi-ways but are passable. Some rail beds have a service access road running with them, not all but some. I doubt you will see many folks using this as a get out of town route. You will reduce your chances of being exposed by 75% as a lot of these rail beds run off through wooded areas and such. Our routes out have been ran and mapped. They cross other lines and I believe we could get to BOL #1 almost all the way in this fashion. Travel will not be fast but the main roads will be jammed and could be a killing field. I have stated this in other threads. If we ever have to put this theory to the test I hope that anyone I come across now will be like minded ingo folks who have considered this option.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think it would be too easy to ambush any kind of train or vehicle riding the rails, simply by setting up an obstruction on the track.

A total waste of the bad guy's time and effort. More soft targets wondering around on the streets. This may come later in a SHTF scenario but not likely during the early bug out stages.

Trav43

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Northern Shelby county
    Wouldn't WHEN you get out of town be more important than HOW you get out?? It seems to me that the faster you react to whatever happens the easier it will be to get out. When the initial shock of a catastrophe hits would seem to be the best time to get out. And if it is violent type revolts (unless it starts in front of your house) you will be watching the news. I just think it would be easier to come back if it was not a big problem than to wait around and find out you should have left an hour ago.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Wouldn't WHEN you get out of town be more important than HOW you get out?? It seems to me that the faster you react to whatever happens the easier it will be to get out. When the initial shock of a catastrophe hits would seem to be the best time to get out. And if it is violent type revolts (unless it starts in front of your house) you will be watching the news. I just think it would be easier to come back if it was not a big problem than to wait around and find out you should have left an hour ago.
    Unless you are Clairvoyant, and know before the Catastrophe is going to hit so you can leave before it hit, I would suggest sitting on your buttocks for a day or two and taking your time to insure you are prepared. Waiting for the shock to occur in a Catastrophe in Indy and then bugging at that time could become a Fatal Decision...

Trav43

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Northern Shelby county
    To me, this would be similiar to driving up on an accident on the highway. If you get there before people start responding then you can usually get by with just slowing down.

And Jeremy I think you just opened up a new chapter in a prepper book, the Bug out psychic.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    To me, this would be similiar to driving up on an accident on the highway. If you get there before people start responding then you can usually get by with just slowing down.
    Not really, when people are desperate to leave someplace they can turn very savage, especially when their families are involved in the ordeal...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Bug out Psychology, A whole new field to research.

It would be wise to sit and get ready. Un-less you are under siege or flooded out the mind set of those on the run would be as Jeremy stated, savage.
    Sit tight, gather your forces, load your supply's and essentials, plan your route. Move in a grey man fashion if possible and get the hell out of Dodge if that is your decision.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    That right! Way to much infasis on BO, you must remain calm and level headed in order to make the propper decisions that may ultimately effect you and your families life and well being. To many people are going to forced into hell because they were not prepared, so why would you immediately put yourself or family right In the middle of the S hitting the fan, wait it out for a bit and let natural selection take place so that it will be safer when you do have to BO. Just my opinion.

Top Bottom