• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    They are good units for the most part. The higher end units especially. The lower end units have their downfalls, as do all brands and units built to stay under a lower price point.

What models are you considering?

I haven’t made a trip to check them out yet. Budget is going to be between $4000-$6000.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Don't look at Dixon mowers. The guy who mows my yard has two. So far, I've just about welded every spot on his deck, welded and gusseted the frame, welded the seat brackets back on, welded and gusseted the front wheels, and I'm sure I've forgotten other places I've fixed.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I haven’t made a trip to check them out yet. Budget is going to be between $4000-$6000.

Gravely zt hd 60" with a Kawasaki motor. $5199 iirc. Suspension seat upgrade $750 Installed. Just barely over budget counting tax. The seat is sooooooo worth it if your ground is at all bumpy.

I honestly don't like any of their products that cost less than the above machine. With the hd, you get a good engine, good entry level commercial grade transmission (hydrogear zt3100), at a good price point.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Gravely zt hd 60" with a Kawasaki motor. $5199 iirc. Suspension seat upgrade $750 Installed. Just barely over budget counting tax. The seat is sooooooo worth it if your ground is at all bumpy.

I honestly don't like any of their products that cost less than the above machine. With the hd, you get a good engine, good entry level commercial grade transmission (hydrogear zt3100), at a good price point.

Thank you

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    We have been happy with our Ariens 52 inch ztr. My only caveat is that they Do not take bumps well at all. I used it one time out back behind our pasture, all grass no brush, and I could have sworn I jarred a kidney. From then on I use either the brush hog or garden tractor.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Thanks for the leads. Kind of put it on the back burner for the moment but I will pick it back up when I get back from traveling to Missouri.
    I have looked at some scags and country clippers and hustlers. I was told the country clipper was made by hustler. Anyway they seem heavy enough for my needs. Still wondering about the ditch. I have a pull behind mower that I can use but that’s not a real big issue

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Thanks for the leads. Kind of put it on the back burner for the moment but I will pick it back up when I get back from traveling to Missouri.
    I have looked at some scags and country clippers and hustlers. I was told the country clipper was made by hustler. Anyway they seem heavy enough for my needs. Still wondering about the ditch. I have a pull behind mower that I can use but that’s not a real big issue

Ask your dealer if they have one you can try out. They may have a used one like the one you're interested in and they might let you borrow it for a week. I've heard about them doing this sort of thing before.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Bocefus78 took good care of me and I was able to get my hands on a mower quickly so I could get a handle on the lawn before it got out of control. If you're in the market I'd recommend touching base with him.

4RbYl4nh.jpg

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I like my grasshopper with front mount deck. Solid built machines and are very stable.

I second that.
    I have a 2008 727K with 27 hp Kohler and 61" front mount deck.
    I prefer a front mount deck because I can get under and around things easier, and the longer overall length of the mower isn't an issue for me.
    With the ultra high lift blades it will really cut down the thick grass.

Bought it used a few years back and it's been a great mower.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    I put atv tires on the back of mine and tossed the turf jobbies in the barn.....huge difference!

Aired to 12-16psi they do my ditch just fine.

Just get tires rated for a 1000lb machine.

God bless
    Shred

Top Bottom