• Jagdhund

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I recently bought some 12 gauge barrel adapters
    4cfca5d0903baceb6b06434989f067be.jpg

I think they are a great idea, but was hoping to find them in something other than pistol calibers. I can't seem to find anyone who makes any.
    Are common break action shotguns not strong enough to handle the high pressure rifle cartridges, or is it just something thats yet to have been made?

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I would imagine that they are playing it safe with the pressures. H & R wouldn't fit rifle barrels, other than those for pistol calibers, to shotgun frames.

Jagdhund

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2014
    Indianapolis
    So when they talk about max cartridge pressures, is that just for the brass or is that also for the gun?

They already make a 44 mag adapter which is about 36,000 psi but a 12 gauge is only 12,000 and it fires safely. So could an average break action 12 gauge handle 45,000, 55,000, or even 65,000 psi?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The adapter is taking the brunt of the pressure. I think the pistol calibers are more common because they ...well are more common. Also, the short adapter length doesn't lose much for a pistol round but a .223 or .308 out of a 6"-8" adapter is a bit of a waste.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    300 BLK would be perfect. SBS O/U (sorry IN folks) and a slightly longer adapter with threaded end and suppressor. I may have to make my own now...

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    In addtion to the chamber needing to hold the pressure, the breech locking mechanism absorbs the strain also. Even if it holds the pressure, that little table that holds the bolt to the barrel lug on a pump or the little tabs that hold a break open gun shut, would wear very quickly at 500% increase in strain. Noble bolt action shotguns were recalled and destroyed because of locking lug wear even with regular shotshell use.

jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Having experience with the small adapters, anything less than the full length of the barrel, I have found them mostly a novelty. I have not used the particular ones in the OP post but have had several of the MCA adapters and some shotgun gauge reducers. They were fun to play around with but I would not trust them in any situation that accuracy matters. There are some very high end ones that you find in drillings and such that are the full length of the barrel that do work extremely well and are accurate. This allows the drillings to be set up for a multi-bag type hunt where you are hunting for anything that you come across. They have adjustments at both ends to line up and adjust the point of impact. In most situations I found it better to just carry a couple of different types of shot shells and slugs.
    I used to do this when I lived in VA where there is a week where deer, turkey, and small game season overlap. Had a savage 24 in 30-30/12. I had adapters to bring down the 30-30 to 22LR and 22mag and a handful of shotgun reducers to other pistol calibers. I tried this too with my SxSs. Never really worked out. Liked the concept and it was fun in the back yard for plinking.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom