• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    From the pictures I see it looks like everyone uses semi auto. The only rifle I have is a ruger American rimfire. Would this work? No money in the budget right now for a 10/22. Thinking about doing the April shoot in Bedford.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Many a rifleman's score's have been posted with a bolt action. There is absolutely no reason you need to change rifles. I'm a little odd, but If I have a bolt action laying on the line right next to a semi auto (all other things being equal) I will grab the bolt every time.

Nate Suns

Marksman
    Jan 15, 2013
    Fishers
    My Savage bolt action served my very well at my first Appleseed. You'll be fine, you just have to get into a rhythm running the bolt.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Couple years back a gentleman made Rifleman using a single shot Cricket.
    That gentleman is Techres. You can find out more about his accomplishment by searching this forum and/or You Tube. You might even meet him at the April Bedford AS ... that's like his home range.

As to the type of rifle to bring to an AS ... bring whatever you got. As long as the rifle is safe to shoot, the AS Instructors want to work with you and your rifle to help you to shoot your rifle more accurately.

That being said, installing a GI web sling and a sighting system that is easily adjustable (like Tech Sights or a scope) makes the job infinity easier. However, if all you have funds for are the factory open sights, that's cool. If you happen to have a hammer, punch, and bench block bring them along, they'll be helpful to adjust the factory sights. If not, I'm willing to bet that one of the Instructors will have these tools on hand.

One more point to make ... bring a friend or two with you to the AS ... there's nothing more fun than shooting with friends ... especially at Bedford.

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    The rifle has a Simmons 3-9x40 scope on it. I will get a gi sling before I go. Looking like my brother and nephew might attend as well.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Actually time spent getting your back and thighs flexible for rifle work is just as important, maybe more.

In preparation, sit on the floor with your ankles crossed and touch the knees with your elbows, with your knuckles on your chin. Do this every day. As many times as you can stand. If you can get lower, that is even better.

Then practice getting up.

Another option is to shoot 3 position smallbore. I know guys in their 80's still flexible to do this since they have been doing it since they were teenagers.

I take two Aleve every morning too.

boileralum

Marksman
    Sep 6, 2010
    Indy
    Elbow pads are very helpful also. Crawfordsville isn't too bad since it is on grass, but I shot a 'seed in AL in November that was on gravel, and my elbows were raw after day 1. My 73yo father's elbows still haven't recovered fully, and we bought elbow pads that night to wear day 2.

Top Bottom