• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    I have always used a shotgun as one of my staples for home defense. Years ago back in Canada I had one called "The Home Defender" It was a 10 g with a barley legal barrell.

I think some Liberal got upset at the name and protested the stores that sold them. They were relatively inexpensive (not cheap or cheaply made)

I was wondering though beside a good shot gun, what else toy may use for your bug out or home defense. I have been thinking of adding an AR 15.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    alone or with friends?

I have always used a shotgun as one of my staples for home defense. Years ago back in Canada I had one called "The Home Defender" It was a 10 g with a barley legal barrell.

I think some Liberal got upset at the name and protested the stores that sold them. They were relatively inexpensive (not cheap or cheaply made)

I was wondering though beside a good shot gun, what else toy may use for your bug out or home defense. I have been thinking of adding an AR 15.

Bugging alone? Or as a unit? Alone I'm takin' and AR and a rimfire pistol. Shotty would be a plus but ammo is heavy and 2 long guns get real unwieldy if you have a long walk to the base.
    2 people? 1 carries the AR and one carries the 870 and each has a pistol. Prolly 1 .22 and a 9mm. :twocents:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If you're thinking about an AR15, then buy one. As far as in the house, the shotgun rules. Once you step outside, it's the AR's playground.

This is a never ending debate, but ultimately you have to decide what works best for you.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I do like the AR/M4 platform. It was my favorite to shoot in the service. If I was going to be by myself though. I would grab the trust ole AK. The main reason being is reliability. I'm not saying that AR/M4 style rifles are not reliable. However, from my experience they require a lot more maintenance to function properly. I do not even clean my AK. I just throw it back into the safe, and it goes bang every time. Plus the 7.62x39 gives you more punch. The disadvantage though is loaded mags weight more. Plus the rifle itself weighs a little more.

Also, the AK has a shorter max affective range. However, I'll never shoot past 100 yards with it. Unless I absolutely needed to. As for accuracy. The AR/M4 does take the cake out to longer distances. The tolerances are a lot tighter then on an AK. However, I can put every round on an 8" target at 50 yards. That's all center mass and I'm happy with that. Another advantage to the AK is cheap ammo. I have been buying it for $5 a box. The cheapest 5.56/.223 I have seen locally is $8.50 a box. Another advantage the AR/M4 has is parts. There are a lot more aftermarket parts for them. To me an AK really does not need a lot of extras. I like to keep things simple.

I'm not trying to sway you from getting an AR/M4. Just trying to give you another option. Consider things like weight, available parts, shooting distances, etc. My :twocents:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    A firearm is simply a launch platform for a cartridge.

I like the 5.56/.223 cartridge for what it can do, and how much ammunition can be carried (i.e. lightweight, same as a 9mm cartridge).

I'd pick a launch platform that is ergonomic, accurate, reliable, durable, and serviceable enough to meet your anticipated needs.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    I went the "sort of an AK" route for a bug out gun - I grabbed a Vz58 plus a four mag pouch for hoofing it. If it's a planned evacuation type deal, I'm putting together a bug out box filled with things you'd need in something like a hurricane kit plus a .22 and a couple spam cans of ammo.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    i would take my sbr ar15 and hk usp45 compact, wife would have ak underfolder and g19, 15 year old son would have another ar and colt 45, 2 youngest will be packing other essentials plus a .22 pistol and rifle.

IndyS12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Zionsville, IN
    If anything happened, I'd probably just grab my Saiga. I have a big enough variety of shells for it that it seems pretty versatile.

Is there anyone here with one of those M6 survival rifles? They seem like they'd be good for a SHTF scenario.

Kelevra TAR-21

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I would go Ak and a Saiga 12. I just like the thought of a car chase and your passenger pops out the side car window with a S12 with a 20 rd drum attached. What ever is behind or beside you will be obliterated.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    mine is a S&W M&P15 OR carbine, I seen a test where for the mst part the 5.56 is great for urban and HD. you can carry a lot of ammo with the least weight, it will take care of most anything in the CQB and mid range.

thumper31768

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Oct 7, 2010
    i have 3 shotguns pistol grip 870's 4 usp45's and 2 ar's around the house so i dare some jacka** to try to brakes in to my house, if my dogs dont get them i will, :ar15::draw::shoot::biggun:

BC9

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Fishers
    Bugging alone? Or as a unit? Alone I'm takin' and AR and a rimfire pistol. Shotty would be a plus but ammo is heavy and 2 long guns get real unwieldy if you have a long walk to the base.
    2 people? 1 carries the AR and one carries the 870 and each has a pistol. Prolly 1 .22 and a 9mm. :twocents:

I noticed that three of the responders to the OP mentioned having something in 22 cal. I'm new to guns & am wondering what the reasoning is for having a .22 in addition to the AR's, shotguns, .45's, 9mm's, etc.

I own one gun (so far), a 9mm S&W Sigma and am struggling with what to buy next. I want something that is both fun to shoot as well as useful in a pinch. My list of "maybe's" includes a Marlin 60 or 795 or a 10-22, a short barreled 12 ga, something in .223/5.62, a smaller carry pistol and a revolver of some sort, in no particular order. The struggle comes in deciding which would be the most logical next gun to buy. Until I win the lottery, funds are an issue, so I need to buy wisely.

Any suggestions or useful input would be appreciated.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County

I love the AR platform. I was in your shoes when I started looking and decided it was best for me.

If you're thinking about an AR15, then buy one. As far as in the house, the shotgun rules. Once you step outside, it's the AR's playground.

This is a never ending debate, but ultimately you have to decide what works best for you.
    :yesway:

A firearm is simply a launch platform for a cartridge.

I like the 5.56/.223 cartridge for what it can do, and how much ammunition can be carried (i.e. lightweight, same as a 9mm cartridge).

I'd pick a launch platform that is ergonomic, accurate, reliable, durable, and serviceable enough to meet your anticipated needs.

Well said. OP, It has to fit your needs and noone else's :yesway:

I noticed that three of the responders to the OP mentioned having something in 22 cal. I'm new to guns & am wondering what the reasoning is for having a .22 in addition to the AR's, shotguns, .45's, 9mm's, etc.

I own one gun (so far), a 9mm S&W Sigma and am struggling with what to buy next. I want something that is both fun to shoot as well as useful in a pinch. My list of "maybe's" includes a Marlin 60 or 795 or a 10-22, a short barreled 12 ga, something in .223/5.62, a smaller carry pistol and a revolver of some sort, in no particular order. The struggle comes in deciding which would be the most logical next gun to buy. Until I win the lottery, funds are an issue, so I need to buy wisely.

There are benefits to having all but you have to think how you will use them. If you are bugging out you won't want to carry a pistol, shotgun, battle rifle and 22 rifle. I know I won't do that.

What will your next firearm be for?

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy

I said .22 because ammo is light, plentiful and affordable (easy to stock up on), uses same cleaning rod as my ar's, can kill plenty of animals if needed,can be used for self-defense if needed and is an easy platform for my children to shoot/hunt with. Also, short barrel shotguns are "no bueno" in Indiana.:dunno:

BC9

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Fishers
    Originally Posted by BC9

There are benefits to having all but you have to think how you will use them. If you are bugging out you won't want to carry a pistol, shotgun, battle rifle and 22 rifle. I know I won't do that.

What will your next firearm be for?

I'm not sure what my next firearm will be for - that's a major part of my quandry. I guess I was looking for advice from more experienced gun owners as to what would make the most sense for my second gun. Not knowing what's coming at me in the future makes it hard to prepare for it. If I had the $$$ I'd just get one of everything, but that's not an option.

Knowing why a number of folks want a .22 as part of their bug out gear might clear up some of my uncertainty.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I like my Sub2k for bug out/home defense. The 9mm is effective past 100 yards, which is fine for urban enviroments. Ammo is cheap and goes with my pistol. I'm planning an AR build, but after I get a bullpup of some sort. Someone mentioned the M6, which I have shot. Good for what it is. Its light and floats, great for bugging out.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I've been a long time AR/M16 shooter. Right now if the SHTF I would grab my M16.

I'm evaluating the AK-74 right now because stockpiling ammo for it is super easy given it's half the price of .223. Even 7.62x39 is expensive by comparison. I can get 1080 rounds of 5.45x39 for $119.

The Saiga/Arsenal AK-74s are very well made, which is the rifle I picked up. There are a lot of options for AKs right now but many aren't all that well made and I don't care to test them out, I want a quality rifle. So Arsenal was the logical choice.

I've yet to see a 1 MOA AR-15 in a standard military configuration fired from the shoulder or expedient rest (battlefield type shooting) and using cheap milsurp ammo which most people stock-up on these days. 2-3" at 100 yards is good combat accuracy and is typical performance for anyone shooting under such conditions (not from a bench rest). AKs also meet this requirement. I can hit a man sized target at 300m with either rifle, and that's all that's necessary. I think the accuracy of the AK is grossly underestimated by many folks.

I'm still getting my AK up to speed with optics, mags, and practice. We will see if I transition to the platform or not. Having shot the AR since the mid-1980s and having served in the Corps with the M16A2 it's just all too familiar to me and hard to give up.

Security122

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Southside of Indy
    I like my Sub2k for bug out/home defense. The 9mm is effective past 100 yards, which is fine for urban enviroments. Ammo is cheap and goes with my pistol. I'm planning an AR build, but after I get a bullpup of some sort. Someone mentioned the M6, which I have shot. Good for what it is. Its light and floats, great for bugging out.

The Sub2K with Glock mags and a Glock 17 for me. Since the Sub2K is so light and folds to 16" I could carry my Marlin Camp 9 as well. I really like sticking with one caliber (9mm) for the reasons stated.

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    For a bug out rifle I would go with lightweight carbine like a Colt 6520/6720 or a BCM lightweight Midlength/CAR. If you feel like paying $200 for the tax stamp and doing some paperwork you could go with a SBR.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    10/22

1. It never fails me.
    2. 550 rounds are a breeze to carry.
    3. It's quiet
    4. I'm head size accurate at least to 100 yards.
    5. It's very light.

Top Bottom