• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chrissmallwood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2008
    Seymour, IN
    Hi all. I remember there was a discussion about possibly being able to use certain rifle rounds for deer. Has anyone heard anything new about this. I know there was a meeting about it but I never heard what happened. I know that any changes wouldnt take effect until next year but I was just curious to know. Any help would be appreciated.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Well you're a season late at least. Rifles were the vogue last year. Check the DNR site for all the specifics as I won't repeat here. Basically rifles firing pistol cartridges with a OAL not over 1.610 inches. .44 mag Works real well!!!

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    if memory serves you can now but it very limited it has to be over a certain case lenght but under another and be lager than 38 caliber. so you are pretty much limited to hand gun rounds like 357, 44 mag or 500 s&w. It should be posted on indiana dnr website

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Correct, I was asking about the actual rifle rounds that were being proposed for use not the pistol rounds.

Yup, Idea was tabled. Apparently the DNR is protecting the Deer by keeping HP rifles out of the game. Kind of a Geneva Convention for Hunting if you will. I suppose the idea is hunters will take longer and riskier shots :rolleyes:

There is group of folk who will jump on me for this statement, with the thought process of the Indiana Farm land and terrain being the reason. But that is a myth and been busted.

Krazny13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    I've hunted with an M1A and an AR15 in .223 here in Indiana.

Course, I was hunting on Depredation tags, so YMMV. . .

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Actually there are SOME legal rifle rounds, they must fall within the DNR limitations of length, and they must be of .357 caliber or larger. Probably one of the most popular rifle rounds for Indiana legal deer hunting is the 458 SOCOM.

There are a couple wildcats out there that were developed to be Indiana legal, the 35 Gremlin (a 6.5 Grendel necked up to .358) and the 357 WSSM (trimmed down to Indiana legal length) both come to mind and both have been offered here on INGO by one of our own members.

Contact fireball168 if you want particulars, he is knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    [/COLOR said:
    chrissmallwood;629133]Hopefully they'll come to thier senses and allow most rifle cartridges. Id really enjoy being able to take my M1 and K31 hunting.

I have a lever 30/30 that's waiting for the same thing!

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Yup, Idea was tabled. Apparently the DNR is protecting the Deer by keeping HP rifles out of the game. Kind of a Geneva Convention for Hunting if you will. I suppose the idea is hunters will take longer and riskier shots :rolleyes:

Its because they don't want 100,000 people with 300 WIN MAG rifles taking pot shots at anything with antlers.

I know it seems stupid but in states where center fire rifles are legal, 300 win mag is on of the most popular rifle calibers, even when most shots are taken at 200 yards or less. Its one of those things thats in vogue now: for whatever reason 300 win mag has come to equal the perfect deer gun in a lot of people minds.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    .308 out of thompson contender pistol.

That would be an Encore - 'Tender won't handle the 308Win.

As for adding HPR cartridges; I'd be surprised to see it change as well, although the PA study pretty well debunked the whole range issue - not that anything but politics really matters to the outcome in these cases.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    That would be an Encore - 'Tender won't handle the 308Win.

As for adding HPR cartridges; I'd be surprised to see it change as well, although the PA study pretty well debunked the whole range issue - not that anything but politics really matters to the outcome in these cases.

Thanks for the correction.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Hi all. I remember there was a discussion about possibly being able to use certain rifle rounds for deer. Has anyone heard anything new about this. I know there was a meeting about it but I never heard what happened. I know that any changes wouldnt take effect until next year but I was just curious to know. Any help would be appreciated

Not yet.

At present, predation only for deer.

We need to write our state representatives and state senators and, most of all, we need to defeat the nonsense that has spread across the gun culture.:yesway:

Top Bottom