• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    For those that cast your own, load black, paper patch...

Anybody using 2 1/2" or 3" brass shells in a .410 that's been rifled?

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    OK, here comes a different slant on the regulatory matter.

Until a few decades ago the breech seating of bullets for better alignment was not uncommon with target shooters.
    No big deal to do it. You just have to have a cartridge case partially epoxy filled to push the bullet into the bore, then another totally filled to seat it on in. Or, you can use a machined tool.

So, if I take a 45-70 single shot, breech seat the paper patched soft lead target shooting bullet into the bore, follow it up with a slightly long nitrated paper column of black powder with a lube cookie on the front end and a primed 45 case that's been trimmed to 1.7"...
    is it legal to shoot an Indiana deer?
    How about I do the same thing with a .375H&H?

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Why not load the same way that Christian Sharps did on his first breech loaders only use the back 1 1/2" or so of brass to hold the primer and to seal the breech? And why not use smokeless?
    If you want to hunt with a .358 Winchester, a .375 Winchester or .458 Winchester is the case neck a necessary part of doing so?
    Right now all I have is questions. I haven't tried this yet. Nor have I used one of the Savage inline muzzleloaders that use smokeless. But I may have to look into this further to see if it is a viable option.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Its a lot of work just to hunt with somthing other than a "regular" caliber.

Trimming a 45-70 case is easy....loading a .454 casull or hot 45 Colt or 44 mag cartridge is easier.

Good luck finding anyone that makes a rifled .410 barrel...theyre out there but they cost as much as a new 44mag rifle, before you get them installed.
    I looked into it...it wasnt worth the cost.

Ballistics arent much better than a 44 mag out of a 18" barrel...tis a waste of time IMHO unless you have unlimited time and money.

God bless
    -Shred

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Reloading as a hobby is indeed a tinkerers art.
    2016 will make 40 years of casting bullets and reloading.
    And I still love it.

Another technique that would work quite well is as discussed in one of Paul A. Matthews' books. Black powder cartridge long range target shooting is usually done with bore diameter paper patched bullets. The force of the powder charge bumps the bullet up to fill the grooves.
    But, the 45-70 has a rather limited powder capacity when compared to the longer .45 caliber cartridges. A solution to shooting longer range is to load the bore diameter patched bullet from the muzzle with whatever charge of powder tests show is suitable to your rifle and the bullet. In essence the 45-70 becomes a 45-90, 45-110 or whatever is found to work best.

Breech seating is no different from loading at the muzzle except with the design of some actions it can be done more safely.
    But, the only "45-70" I load for these days is a TC New Englander with .458" bore diameter, polygonal grooves and fast twist to use off the shelf .45 rifle molds.

Top Bottom