• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lance

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    anyone use 44 mag hornady leverevoluion to deer hunt with?what is oppinion on this ammo good or bad?

lance

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    i traded for a ruger 96/44 lever action rifle plan on hunting with it this coming deer season.just trying to find out what 44 ammo is the best to hunt with out of a rifle.hornady lever ammo is on top of my list to hunt with unless some one can prove to me that there is a better 44 round at there to hunt with.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    i traded for a ruger 96/44 lever action rifle plan on hunting with it this coming deer season.just trying to find out what 44 ammo is the best to hunt with out of a rifle.hornady lever ammo is on top of my list to hunt with unless some one can prove to me that there is a better 44 round at there to hunt with.

The twist rate in the Ruger is much faster than the normal 1-38 (H&r marlin and winchester) so don't be afraid to go up into 300 grain bullets in the ruger. Marlins and winchestesr have a hard time stabilizing the heavier that 265 grain bullets. Then again we are talking deer here not black bears so it is kinda a moot point.

The hornaday leverevultion shoot much high at 50 yards than most of the other ammo i use in my marlin. They are 210 grain bullets with what i call magic pixie dust as powder. If your ruger will group well with them i would recommend them if you want to spend the extra cash of them. They still drop fast after 125 yards.

Winchester white box 240 JSP are good deer medicine in most 44 mag rifles. It is also rather cheap.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I bought my puma 92 20" stainless 44mag a couple years ago now. I'll never go back to slugs unless I am required to by law. A sabot slug is $3 everytime you pull the trigger, a 44mag rifle will pay for itself just in the practice time before the hunt.

I have to admit that I was a little leary about using the 44mag rifle the first time. Then a nice 8pt walked out 60 yards broadside and was knocked flat on it's side. I couldn't believe the amount of power that the rifle has.

Open sighted 150 yards is doable on deer sized targets with little hold over.

I'm finishing a project right now where I put a rear ladder sight on a 24" puma 92 and there's enough adjustment in it that I should be able to hit targets past 200 yards at the range. Not so much for hunting, that kind of shooting is more for grins & bragging rights, but it shows you how much fun you can have with a pistol cartidge rifle.

FYI - You can buy a brand new Puma 92 44mag delivered to your FFL for just under $400 from Budsgunshop. I think they're teh ebst value out there for the money spent.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I bought a .357 lever action, only because I have a S&W revolver. It shoots awesome with the Hornady LeveRevolution cartridges...makes a great little deer gun.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm no hunter, but I do remember this INGO thread from back in the day.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/the_great_outdoors/63170-my_2009_buck.html

13006Rifle_Left.jpg

If I had to shoot a deer, I'd LOVE to use that!

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    If I were going to get a 44 rem mag, I would get the Ruger 77. Hard to beat, I love those things. That 445 is a 44 on steroids with 33% more umph. Brass is hard to find but I quickly found 100 rounds from a member on here for a reasonable price. The way I see it 100 rounds will last me my lifetime.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I recently started deer hunting and last year took a deer with my Puma 92 in 45 Long Colt. You would have to handload for it, but you can get up to 44 Mag performance with a 250 Grain Hornady XTP. Dropped the deer in its tracks at 70 yards. I don't trust my eyes much past that at dusk with iron sights. Great shooting guns and easy to handle.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    That "original list" wasn't exhaustive by any means, just a list of some of the most common cartridges that fit the required dimensions.

-J-

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I've been using a Marlin 44mag lever gun shooting the leverevolution ammo for the past couple of years. So far it's a great shooting setup but I've only taken 1 deer. My father been using an old Ruger 44mag for a few years and has taken several deer with it and will not use another gun to hunt with.

Top Bottom