• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6mm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    I'm left eye dominate and right handed. I learned to shoot right handed and didnt switch until my mid 30s. The handgun tilt toward the left eye is easy to learn and get comfortable with. Even switching my scoped rifles to the left shoulder didn't take more than a few weeks to seem natural. The challenge was with my shotguns....still working shooting with my left shoulder and both eyes open...its getting easier, but my scores are still not what they were.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    For pistols, it really doesn't matter much at all.

For long guns, an occluder is very useful. As long as the vision in the non-dominant eye is good, using an occluder to block the dominant eye will force the shooter to see out of their "correct" eye. I've used one for hunting for over 40 years and it works well.

LuckyOne

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Parke County, IN
    4 outa 5 of my family is right handed left eye dominant. I am teaching all to be ambi shooters. Learning something for the first time this seems to be going very well. At my age (41) little more adjustment but shooting with both eyes open is way worth the training. It is so much different with both eyes open that I look forward to every chance I get to shoot....wait, okay...that is not so different. Ambi and shooting with both eyes open is something we should all at least try and I hope you master.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My wife wasn't a shooter till I got a gun in her hand. I watched her shoot right handed and it was apparent she was using her left eye. "I said switch hands, shoot like I do."
    the result was her grouping shrunk dramatically.

She still has to stop and think every time she picks up a gun, but she goes for a left hand hold, left eye aim. She's a casual shooter, but improving.

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    I'm also left eye dominant, long time right hand shooter. A few years ago I lost my right eye, so this isn't all about polite conversation for me anymore.

Some rifles I can continue to shoot righthanded....which is where my comfort zone is. Try as I have, I am still not really comfortable shooting left handed. Complicating matters is that I also use progressive lens glasses,and they really mess with my optics eye relief...or vice versa.

Plus I shoot so many different rifles, I don't really have an opportunity to drill down and memorize a specific body/cheek/distance weld to each stock. Oh well... things could be worse....I could have NO eyes and NO rifles.... :ar15:

I was right shoulder, right eye. Between a motorcycle accident and shingles I am now left with a right shoulder (left shoulder has a plate and 6 screws in it) and a left eye (large scar in right cornea).
    I have parted together a couple of 45 degree offset scope mounts for 1913A1 rail systems. This has worked pretty well for me.

3952629082_602f0a2456_z.jpg

American Defense has some QR 45 degree bases that look to be sturdy enough (if used in pairs) to mount scopes on.
    MH

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    Right handed left eye. I didnt know this till I went into the Army.. Had some very good Drills. They got me to switch to left handed rifle shooting and I havent looked back. Its very naturel. I have a stigmatism and near sightedness in right eye and its lazy to boot. Now with the new technique of using both eyes it is worth the effort to train that way. If I got my right eye in a contact I could be a hell of as shooter. Because neither would be off hand for rifle.. Pistol is a whole new story for me. Still working on my stance and training for that. Good luck, though there is nothing wrong with training to use your left.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rickyjohnson111
    Top Bottom