• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nlnyhuise

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    SW Indy
    Odd question. I write with my right hand so as I am learning to grip my gun and aim I have been using my right hand. It was then pointed out to me though, that I use my left eye to look down the sights. I was told I needed to either switch which eye I use, or switch which hand I shot with. Taking this into advice, I tried gripping with my left hand, and realized I am actually more comfortable that way. Anyone else this way, or am I just odd? (Which would be NOTHING new! LOL)

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    My son is like you. I'm left handed and right eye dominant. He shoots rifle and bow left handed, and shoots handguns right handed. i shoot everything right handed.

I would not recommend not trying to switch eyes.

A Weaver stance with handguns becomes more difficult and you might want to to stick with isosceles... unless you want to look like David Caruso on CSI Miami

CSI-Miami-Caruso_l.jpg

Last edited:

nlnyhuise

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    SW Indy
    My son is like you. I'm left handed and right eye dominant. He shoots rifle and bow left handed, and shoots handguns right handed. i shoot everything right handed.

Thank you so much. I actually "kinda" tried to switch eyes, and quickly learned that was out of the question. After some dry fire tests, I also learned that I have move control with my trigger finger on the left hand. My husband is "worried" about finding my a left handed rifle. Is that what you use for your son, or does he use a right handed? Sorry if these seem like silly questions, I just do lots of research and stuff before I buy/do anything to make sure I am prepared. :rockwoot:

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis

A Weaver stance with handguns becomes more difficult and you might want to to stick with isocoles... unless you want to look like David Caruso on CSI Miami

CSI-Miami-Caruso_l.jpg
    I don't know David is pretty cool lol.
    She forgot to mention that her trigger pull is a hell of a lot smoother on her left hand than her jerky right.

Ripper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    Earth
    Do you wear corrective lenses? Seems that the better eye would take priority, so if corrected it may be easier?

Duke Short

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Left Eye Dominant

Don't worry about it. I am also right handed left eye dominant. I shoot a long gun off the left shoulder, handgun right handed. After a while I figured out it was easy to shoot handguns left handed also. Take your tme to train your "dumb" left hand it will benefit you in the future. As a child my dad taught me gun safety then we went shooting. I couldn't hit squat. The old man was confused and said you hit everything you aim at home with other things. Then he said here don't pay any attention to how I just taught you just shoot the cans. Rifle to my left shoulder hit hit hit. He then asked me why I did that and I told him that's my good eye dad. Ok then you know gun safety I can't help you any more. I also know a couple other people same deal different side. Shoot have fun be safe you'll figure it out.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I shoot right handed and am left eye dominant. I can shoot left handed but don't really feel comfortable. Using my right eye does not work. Everyone adapts to what works for them. People who tell you that if you are left eye dominant you must shoot left handed can go pound sand. The only absolutes are the four rules.

nlnyhuise

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    SW Indy
    I wear glasses, but honestly had never noticed the issue until I went to aim! And even then I didn't realize it til my husband asked me about it. I have tried aiming with both eyes going, and that is a no go. At this point in time, I am itching to actually get to the range and try it out.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I am right handed and left eye dominant as well. As noted above, I shoot rifles left handed, and shotguns and handguns right handed (with both eyes open).....and I don't care if my head is cocked to one side shooting- I hit the target.

Last edited:

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Left eye, right handed here. Shoot handguns right handed, long guns left handed. All of my long guns are right hand. With most semi auto and pump guns it hasn't been a problem. Bolt guns can be a little awkward.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Another here. I use modified Weaver for handguns and shoot all guns right handed. Use left eye for handguns, right for long guns. The NRA instructor tried to get me to shoot isosceles right-eyed. It didn't work. But my shooting glasses all have to be no-line to get a proper sight picture.

LeftEyeBill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Grant Co.
    I've been blind in my right eye since I was around five years old, so eye dominance was never a question for me. I shoot a handgun right handed primarily, but I've also learned to shoot handguns left handed as well (I'm naturally right handed). Of course I shoot a rifle left handed...

Personally I think when it comes to handguns a person should use whichever hand you feel the most comfortable with and have the best stability and trigger control with. Then you will naturally use the eye that you are most dominate with to align the sights. When it comes to handguns I really don't think by the time you extend your arms the difference eye alignment is enough to be the least bit concerned about, I think it ends up being less then an inch of angle change.

Now Rifle and Archery are a totally different story. Left handed Archery equipment is a must, but most people can shoot right handed rifles left handed with relative ease. Having said all that though, I did just recently buy a left handed bolt action rifle that I really do like. :)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I shoot right handed and am left eye dominant. I can shoot left handed but don't really feel comfortable. Using my right eye does not work. Everyone adapts to what works for them. People who tell you that if you are left eye dominant you must shoot left handed can go pound sand. The only absolutes are the four rules.

I'll see what Coach thinks this weekend when I take his class, but I can't see at my age, switching from right handed shooting to left.

There is a marked difference in my dexterity between left and right for me. Holding a long gun on my left side is totally out of my comfort zone.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I am the same found it out while in the service. Struggled to qual shooting right handed right eyed, so switched to left and left when I got to the fleet. When I became a range coach had to qual on 9 and shot right hand left eye with no problems using isosceles. I'll shoot left and left when doing weaver. With rifles for me shooting left handed it feels like I'm hugging the rifle whereas righty I felt like I didn't have any control. Its the same with the weaver on pistol I feel like I have better control shooting left/left than trying the CSI pose.

Top Bottom