• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gotojuston

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    Downstairs, behind the axe
    I hope the felony doesn't stick - this guy obviously had the right intentions. He could have gone about it a bit differently, possibly even recruiting actual LEOs beforehand. Although, they probably would have turned him away or arrested him on the spot. How do we test for this stuff without "leading the witness"?

Dad charged with making terroristic threats after testing school

Edit: you know, I think this is actually the right approach after all, just not alone. I wouldn't dare try it though. Hopefully gun free zones will be "zoned out" soon. At that point, this sort of thing could have turned in a bad direction. Until that time though, anybody can do anything they want in these places. Nobody is there to stop them and security guards seem to be snowed in an awful lot.

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I was thinking about something similar this morning. I know the YMCA ran a similar drill without telling any of their patrons. What if, in that case or even this one, someone shot them?

In this case, he should have communicated with the school to have them conduct a drill with the proper authorities. His attempt to test their procedures was just stupid.

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I think the Dad did what he thought he needed to do. If there are repercussions than so be it. I think the school should have called 911 and followed the correct procedures.

gotojuston

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    Downstairs, behind the axe
    I was thinking about something similar this morning. I know the YMCA ran a similar drill without telling any of their patrons. What if, in that case or even this one, someone shot them?

In this case, he should have communicated with the school to have them conduct a drill with the proper authorities. His attempt to test their procedures was just stupid.

+1, this lone wolf thing was out of bounds.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I've worried about this myself. I carry more often than not and if there ever were an unannounced drill, I wonder what the outcome would be if I stopped the "fake" threat. I certainly wouldn't wait for the perp to fire shots to confirm it was a life or death situation but an unannounced terrorist drill scares the sh*t out of me.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    His heart was in the right place. However his head was up his ass. He should have talked with the School board and LEO's to setup a SAFE and as realistic plan as there could be. That is how they do fire drills.

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    His heart was in the right place. However his head was up his ass. He should have talked with the School board and LEO's to setup a SAFE and as realistic plan as there could be. That is how they do fire drills.

No one does active shooter drills. That's part of the problem.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Yeah the guy although meaning well should have coordinated his plan with the Officials involved - possibly the LEO's and Superintendent of the school.
    This reminds me of an incident at a local National Guard Armory a few year ago. My son was in the guard before he went into the active service. The Guard had a new officer come into the armory. He was only there a couple of drills before he spoke to the Sergeant that actually ran the day to day issues and took care of inventory etc. The officer said that he wanted to have a surprise raid conducted by some masked fake terrorists to evaluate the guards performance. The Sergeant said "let me know when you plan this so I can get the body bags". The officer was surprised and said well no one will be armed so shouldn't be any major injuries". Sarge told him that even though it wasn't officially authorized 70 to 80% of the men carried their personally concealed handguns. Needless to say the "raid" never happened. The Commander of the local Guard at that time didn't worry about armed soldiers or civilians in the Armory. In fact he examined the Colt I carry and admired it during one of the dinners for Parents of the guards (and handed me his personal 45 to look at.).

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Sometimes the devil is in the details. Had he simply walked in and posed the question, "Hypothetically, instead of being Billy's dad, let's say that I am an armed sociopath. What would you be doing about it right now?" No way to interpret that as any type of threat--and it would be a perfectly legitimate question given that he has a vested interest in the answer.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I've worried about this myself. I carry more often than not and if there ever were an unannounced drill, I wonder what the outcome would be if I stopped the "fake" threat. I certainly wouldn't wait for the perp to fire shots to confirm it was a life or death situation but an unannounced terrorist drill scares the sh*t out of me.

And in IN you would be in trouble of breaking the law.
    His statement alone does not put you or anyone else in danger. You are not stopping him from committing a felony at the time, nor is one in motion so you have no legal ground to use self-defense.

A jbt/leo could get away with shooting and evening killing this dad but you won't as a civilan as its not your job.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    His statement alone does not put you or anyone else in danger. You are not stopping him from committing a felony at the time, nor is one in motion so you have no legal ground to use self-defense.

A jbt/leo could get away with shooting and evening killing this dad but you won't as a civilan as its not your job.

Correct, his exact statement does not put me in danger (gunman doesn't have to mean armed killer and his "target" could have been a paper target) but if a poorly executed drill were to take place and an explicit statement was made to put everyone under the impression that their life was in danger is the situation I am worried about. Take the last skit from the movie jackass. Guy gets into a taxi, says he has a bomb and shows bomb (although fake), taxi driver has a gun but is in on the prank... This could have gone very wrong had it not been a double prank.

Last edited:

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012

Glad to know this. I plan on yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theater later tonight.

Top Bottom