• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    what is it with july 1st? why do laws begin on that date?

+1 for mitch signing it instead of just letting it become law

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I gotta stop by and get me some new rubber boots...with all that blood in the streets about to start flowing and having to step over all the corpses of dead LEO's and all...

Just kidding...

This seems to be a reasonable first step in reversing an abhorent court decision.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Wow a safe guard against potential corruption in an official capacity? :+1:. Now to sit and listen to all those saying it'll cause riots :popcorn::popcorn:

The police'll start riots about this?

Does that mean we can defend earlier than July 1st?

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    "Senate Enrolled Act 1....... permits a person to use reasonable force against a public servant, including police officers, to protect themselves from injury caused by the imminent use of unlawful force........"

IC 35-45-2-1
    Intimidation
    Sec. 1. (a) A person who communicates a threat to another person, with the intent:
    (1) that the other person engage in conduct against the other person's will;
    (2) that the other person be placed in fear of retaliation for a prior lawful act;
    commits intimidation, a Class A misdemeanor.
    (b) However, the offense is a:
    (2) Class C felony if, while committing it, the person draws or uses a deadly weapon.

So.....A police officer that THREATENS to arrest you (or actually DOES arrest you ) for legally OC commits the crime of INTIMIDATION and it's a felony because he has a deadly weapon AND it's now legal to use force to resist the imminent use of unlawful force against you, RIGHT????????????????

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    The right to resist has always been natural law.

Glad to see the legislature and executive did the right thing.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    "Senate Enrolled Act 1....... permits a person to use reasonable force against a public servant, including police officers, to protect themselves from injury caused by the imminent use of unlawful force........"

IC 35-45-2-1
    Intimidation
    Sec. 1. (a) A person who communicates a threat to another person, with the intent:
    (2) that the other person be placed in fear of retaliation for a prior lawful act;
    (2) Class C felony if, while committing it, the person draws or uses a deadly weapon.

So.....A police officer that THREATENS to arrest you (or actually DOES arrest you ) for legally OC commits the crime of INTIMIDATION and it's a felony because he has a deadly weapon AND it's now legal to use force to resist the imminent use of unlawful force against you, RIGHT????????????????

No.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

IC 35-45-2-1
    Intimidation

An illegal arrest would actually be "Criminal Confinement" (among other charges). It is a serious felony and fits the act MUCH better than the above.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    This is a strike against tyranny and the police state.

Contrary to the opinions of many, the government does not have the authority to do anything it wants to anyone it wants without the fear of armed resistance.

This is the reason we have the 2nd Amendment in the first place.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Anxiously awaiting the rash of resistance to any and all efforts of LE that will now not happen.

Thank you, Mike Young and the rest of the Indiana General Assembly. And thank you, Mitch, even if you had to waffle over it. :n00b: Shame we have to codify such things as the only means of preservation.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    You know, that's a good point. Is there a resource out there that summarizes the various judge's records, I wonder?

I'll bet one of our wonderful fiat Federal Reserve Notes that this topic will light up the boards before election time and will provide some of the best entertainment to be found ... :):

Last edited:

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    There are so many scenarios this can be applied to that its hard to tell what will happen. I have served hundreds of warrants and found that the person either is the type to resist or is not; this law won't change that..when dealing with criminals anyway. When dealing with the average citizen, say a domestic like Barnes, I see it ending badly for the citizen. You just are not going to win. The more you escalate the more force the police will use and nobody is going to try to sort out who's right or wrong on the scene. All I see this law doing is providing some amount of legal recourse after it is all said and done, which is what the Supreme Court was trying to say, but they went a little too far.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    There are so many scenarios this can be applied to that its hard to tell what will happen. I have served hundreds of warrants and found that the person either is the type to resist or is not; this law won't change that..when dealing with criminals anyway. When dealing with the average citizen, say a domestic like Barnes, I see it ending badly for the citizen. You just are not going to win. The more you escalate the more force the police will use and nobody is going to try to sort out who's right or wrong on the scene. All I see this law doing is providing some amount of legal recourse after it is all said and done, which is what the Supreme Court was trying to say, but they went a little too far.
    I think with the Supreme court ruling in the Barnes case was what they were basically saying for the sake of everyones safety involved just go along with it even if the LEO's actions were not legal and then seek out recourse after the fact.

My question was always and where I think they went to far is: How could they base a legal decision on a possible illegal act ?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Exactly.

Top Bottom