• Right to work

• Total voters

Ineverfollow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Madison County
    If you don't want to work in a union shop walk down the street to a nonunion shop. GM was overpaid for what they did I will give you that. But I am not, this union man works his damn ass off. However the faster I work and more numbers I do the more money I make and that is how it should be. I work for a BAD company C&S google them. Do you honestly think right to work is going to bring in good high paying jobs???

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Right to work has nothing to do with the workers.

It's about a company being able to hire anyone they please.

Why is it that we can ONLY hire represented workers in our factory? Even if qualified non-represented workers want to work here for less money?

Because that's the law.

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    If everyone is so concerned with unions and breaking them up then why don't we start with the most corrupt and power hungry union in the country. Our government. Everyone places all of this empahsis on the negative impact the unions allegedly have on our country yet they make up a minuscule portion of the actual work force. I honestly don't understand why the majority of this forum hates unions so much. Do you actually think the little guy is going to pick up any government contracts in a "right to work state"? All that is going to occur is the largest non union company with the deepest pockets is going to lobby their way into the contracts. Nothing will change just the shoe going on the other foot. I mean look at the people pushing and promoting the right to work, all of the largest non union contractors in the state. It has nothing to do with benefitting us it's all about buisness.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Right to work is targeting unions only. Taking power out of the workers hands and back into the owners hands. In fact out of the 10 highest poverty states in the us 7 of those are RTW states. The RTW states also have 50% high infant mortality rate than states without the lEgiation.

Union jobs prevent baby deaths? :popcorn:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    If everyone is so concerned with unions and breaking them up then why don't we start with the most corrupt and power hungry union in the country. Our government. Everyone places all of this empahsis on the negative impact the unions allegedly have on our country yet they make up a minuscule portion of the actual work force. I honestly don't understand why the majority of this forum hates unions so much. Do you actually think the little guy is going to pick up any government contracts in a "right to work state"? All that is going to occur is the largest non union company with the deepest pockets is going to lobby their way into the contracts. Nothing will change just the shoe going on the other foot. I mean look at the people pushing and promoting the right to work, all of the largest non union contractors in the state. It has nothing to do with benefitting us it's all about buisness.

With respect, I think that INGO beats the anti-government drum 1,000 times more than it does the anti-union one.

The fact is that the unions are depending on the government to protect them from free-market enterprise. By standing for right-to-work, I protect the interests of workers who refuse to work for a union, whatever the reason, but still wish to work in a business that has one. Why is that such a big deal, besides the fact that the company might have productive, profitable, satisfied workers who don't need all the benefits that those under a union contract receive? So the unions lose power: so what? If the companies who are non-union start getting contracts instead because they can make a better offer, why is this a bad thing? Why should the law and the government intervene to make other people artificially powerful?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I say "a good thing" only because I believe in the Rule of Law.

The law says workers have a right to Unionize (Wagner Act) and the law says states have the right to pass Right to Work laws (Taft-Hartley Act).

Rule of Law should apply to BOTH sides.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    What is the union for? Health and Safety? Then we can disband OSHA. For worker rights? Then we can disband the NLRB. The unions exist to serve the union machine first.

In my national union the UA not UAW we work in conjunction with OSHA via mandatory OSHA classes. Taught at our own expense to help keep ourselves and others safe. For workers rights we have the collective bargaining agreement which is a place the contractors can make demands aswell. We do not have pitch forks and torches knocking on doors. In an economy spiraling out of control like a roller coaster in a tornado our contractors need as much as we need them. I have worked with non union shops I've used unsafe cables slings and been in a multitude of unsafe positions without proper training. Being in the union affords me he right to help myself to any training i see fit not to mention the mandator things.

My billed cost an hour is in the low 120s and I make a fine living. The customers are happy to pay it because I'm trained and efficient.

As for the "union machine" hell yeah it serves itself first. You think the non union doesnt do the exact same thing?

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    If it works like it is intended to I have no issues with it. Call me crazy, but I just don't think the government and companies do things for the right reasons. Look at the existing Right to Work states. Yes they were typically impoverished, low wage, and unskilled states and the legislation is supposed to counter act it. Many years later same song and dance in all of those states. Same low paying, poverty stricken, and sub par jobs. Show me where the right to work legislation has produced positive results?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I voted that it was a bad thing, but I must explain the position as I understand it.

As people who are employees have the right to organize in a union this is protected by law. Employees have the right to organize and employers have the right to respond in a variety of ways, including but not limited to leaving the country.

This does not change the fact that employees have the right to ask for better pay, benefits, or working conditions.

Unions have never existed in this country when the employer was fair, reasonable and respectful of the employees working there. Unions have cropped up where there is abuse - in most cases. Case in point, Fred Zollner of Zollner Pistons in Ft. Wayne. Fred never had a Union in his factory when he was running things because Fred treated everyone with respect and gave good benefits. When old Fred retired management became crappy and only then was a Union formed to protect the employees.

That said, unions can become counterproductive and undermine their own usefulness to the employees whom they were created to serve.

By Federal Law, specifically the National Labor Relations Act, anywhere there is a Union it must represent everyone in the shop, whether they are a member or not!

So "Right to Work" is similar to communism, where every employee gains the product of the Unions work without having to pay for it. This is unfair.

IF the Union were allowed to only negotiate for its members then "Right to Work" would not be unfair, as the Union folks could have their benefits and protections and the Nonunion workers could have their own benefits and protections. However, since this is illegal under current law, I see no reason for someone to gain benefits that they have not paid for.

Change the NLRA mandate and Right to Work will be more palatable, at least to me.

Regards,

Doug

9lock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Classified
    Do some research, read it and stop judging these vile laws and acts by the catchy titles because it SOUNDS good! or Hardcore right winger Billy Bob Hick that sells chilly dogs over at the Tasty Freeze for 5 bucks an hour in Hoosierville told you that because that is what his daddy said right after they finished talking about Knockdown Power!
    How about (No child left behind) how did that one work out? Oh! and lets not forget everyones all time favorite (The Patriot act).
    I fail to understand WHY after just the last 10 YEARS so many people have not figured out what is being done to them. It has been on TV, radio, newspapers and posted on here! and still people prefer to play pavlov's dog.
    Perhaps No child left behind was really effective.

Oh! and BTW Do not forget to sign up before April 1st 2012 for the 21st annual snipe hunt, we have had GREAT turnouts in the last ten years so bring the family.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    There's nothing at all bad about unions.

Anyone should be able to join any union they wish. Unions should be allowed to conduct negotiations for the workers and get the very best deal they can get.

The problem is when men with guns get involved.

As to the myth of companies exploiting workers, that of course is impossible, except in the case of slavery. If companies exploited workers, then workers exploited the companies, which pretty much destroys the meaning of "exploited."

Let freedom ring.

dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    I'm one of the "communists" that voted no. What this is really about is union dollars. The repubicans will vote against this when they get what they want....union money. I am sick of the politicians dividing the people into various bickering segments while they line their own pockets.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I'm one of the "communists" that voted no. What this is really about is union dollars. The repubicans will vote against this when they get what they want....union money. I am sick of the politicians dividing the people into various bickering segments while they line their own pockets.

Being called a communist isn't just an insult. It's not the same as saying, "poopy-head." It has a specifice meaning. Taken to their logical conclusion, laws that limit the free exchange between consenting adults who are selling and buying their own labor, are communist.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Dross (et alia),

As it doesn't appear that you are being cynical, I will attach a few small links to show how companies can and do illegally exploit workers today:

Welcome to Workday Minnesota, your leading source for labor news!

Abuses Against Workers Taint U.S. Meat and Poultry | Human Rights Watch

Henry

Those are just a few of the references I used to show how employees can be illegally, unethically, and immorally abused in the United States of America in the 21st century. I particularly like the Henry's Turkeys employed developmentally disabled men and paid them $65 a month for full time work, along with other abuses.

No, not in America...Right? Not today...Right?

Please do not misunderstand my position. Most employers would not do such a thing. Most employers would not even have the thought to do these things enter their heads. But the sad reality is that there are some real scumbags out there, and those scumbags hold the title of "Boss" for someone.

We have come a long way, yet for some we have miles to go.

Regards,

Doug

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I voted that its a good thing. My mom for years worked in a place where she had no choice but to pay union dues even though she was not a member of the union, Also other employees at the same job that got hired AFTER her but joined the union got raises and promotions BEFORE her. I thinks its souly the unions fault for the lack of jobs in this country. For example, the other day a man told me a story of why he loved the union, he told me he worked for a major auto company and spent all day sitting in a chair and putting parts in a machine and pushing a button. $35 an hour he got paid and somtimes his machine would break down (or he told me somtimes he would shut it down on purpose) and when that happened he would kick back in his chair and go to sleep until the crew got it fixed. He was just proud as a peacock about that and i was sick to my stomache. If i was asleep at work i would be fired, but since he was union he couldnt be fired just woken up. Unions started for good reason, but like anything that gets to much power they have becoe corrupt and in my view worthless.

Last edited:

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    I want to live in a right to prosper state. When business outside our state are looking for a place to move I don't think that they are interested in a state where unions are allowed to run their company for them. So in my mind the unions not only hold the company hostage, but they are holding the state economy hostage as well.
    So I think that joining a union is a case of trading freedom for security. Sound like any countries you know?

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Why is it that union jobs pay more than non union jobs........
    The market needs a balance unions help to increase wages but have there down side as well. A necessary evil if you will. Manufactures are not going to pay more if they don't have too. Get rid of unions and minimum wage will be the norm because there is nothing in place to stop it.

Top Bottom