• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ran by does not equal penal facility. And just that ward or the entire place? And once again the legislature seems to agree with my interpretation since they allowed marion county to place a local ordinance on carry inside the hospital.
    In my experience it applies to the entire facility. Ran into that when I had to take DoggyMama to Methodist when she broke her ankle. We were going to the ER, but no weapons were allowed. They wouldn't even let me enter with my empty holster. I suspect Eskanazi is the same.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    In my experience it applies to the entire facility. Ran into that when I had to take DoggyMama to Methodist when she broke her ankle. We were going to the ER, but no weapons were allowed. They wouldn't even let me enter with my empty holster. I suspect Eskanazi is the same.
    I Would have asked wwjd?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    No firearms by policy doesn't equal no firearms by law. I'm sure Eskanzi is no firearms by policy, so is the local to me IU Hospital, but I'm not breaking the law to carry into it. I'm also sure that Marion county has passed an ordinance prohibiting carry into Eskanzi. But as I stated above, that is a civil (albiet probably quite expensive) penalty rather than a criminal one.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    No firearms by policy doesn't equal no firearms by law. I'm sure Eskanzi is no firearms by policy, so is the local to me IU Hospital, but I'm not breaking the law to carry into it. I'm also sure that Marion county has passed an ordinance prohibiting carry into Eskanzi. But as I stated above, that is a civil (albiet probably quite expensive) penalty rather than a criminal one.
    No, it's not just policy. It's law. If they have a secured wing for prisoners (or criminals shot in the commission of a crime, etc.), it's considered part of the correctional system. At least that's my understanding. Since Eskanazi is used to treat criminals shot by cops, I'm pretty sure it's considered to be part of corrections, and therefore carry is prohibited by law.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    No, it's not just policy. It's law. If they have a secured wing for prisoners (or criminals shot in the commission of a crime, etc.), it's considered part of the correctional system. At least that's my understanding. Since Eskanazi is used to treat criminals shot by cops, I'm pretty sure it's considered to be part of corrections, and therefore carry is prohibited by law.
    If so and the legislature considered it so, there would have been no reason for them to include the exemption to the prememtion for it. Yes they take prisoners there to be treated, the local county jail also takes prisoners to my local library to do work. IMO and IANAL neither one makes it a penal facility.
    ETA here is the IC definition for penal facility.
    Sec. 232. "Penal facility" means a state prison, correctional facility, county jail, penitentiary, house of correction, or any other facility for confinement of persons under sentence, or awaiting trial or sentence, for offenses. The term includes a correctional facility constructed under IC 4-13.5.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I got an esee izula by the metal detector at the riley er by accident. When I realized I had done it I tossed around the idea oftelling them or not and decided to go ahead and let them know their metal detector is junk. Officer at the door seemed fairly incompetent, not like the other tier 2 officers I've been around

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I got an esee izula by the metal detector at the riley er by accident. When I realized I had done it I tossed around the idea oftelling them or not and decided to go ahead and let them know their metal detector is junk. Officer at the door seemed fairly incompetent, not like the other tier 2 officers I've been around
    Basic human psychology is that after so many false alarms, they will change the calibration lighter.

Top Bottom