7FnCQpM.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I got my Picatinny rail installed yesterday for my Ruger 10/22, model 1132 Mannlicher carbine to help with having to scrunch my neck forward and to the right to see through the Nikon ProStaff 3-9 x 40 BDC scope.
    It is not any longer than the one that came with the Ruger (don't know if it is a proprietary Ruger rail or a Weaver), but it was about 1/2 inch taller.
    If this doesn't help enough, I guess I have to get taller rings, which I hear makes an issue when you change range distance.

I discovered that if I angled the rifle a bit counter-clockwise, then leveled up the crosshairs on the scope by twisting it clockwise in the rings, leveling them, I don't have to bend my neck so far to the right and combined with the little bit of rise, every little bit of tweaking hopefully will allow more pain-free range time for the neck.
    The scope is still too far forward to get the full view in the glass since it was only moved back 1/2 inch on the rings, so I have to really push the neck to get the full glass picture.
    I can try positioning the rings in a way that will allow 2 inches of moving the scope back toward my eye (if it will fit), but I am going to try to leave it alone before I take it all apart again (14 screws).

Range trip after work and will see if this set up is easier on the neck.
    It will be fun sighting it in all over.
    I only have a 50' range (16.6 yds.) at Post/Wash. but at Point Blank/Greenwood I'll have 75 feet (25 yds.) when I start going there again this summer.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The old Glenfield Marlins are not top dollar rifles. I’d bet you could find one for under $100 if you looked hard enough.

I have been looking a rifles for sale for a month now, and there are plenty in the $100-$200 range which are tempting to try out b/c of price, but I spent more money getting wood & stainless steel with a decent scope for a Ruger 10/22 Mannlicher, since they come so well-recommended, while still spending only a modest sum.
    I'll use it for my benchmark in measuring other rifles if I succumb to trying others out.
    My feeling is that w/o new barrels and triggers on the Ruger, they are all about the same, & I have no intention in going the upgrade route, unless I pick up someone's reject here in the Classifieds. :laugh:
    I don't want to go the route with .22LR rifles as I did with handguns (retirement will stem the $$ flow anyway).
    I have almost bought 5 other different rifles, but either advice was given to avoid them or they sold while I was researching them.
    I have read many "top .22LR rifle" lists and there are the common threads between them that all agree with what I've read or talked with members here.
    I was advised by a member: Ruger 10/22, Savage or CZ.

I let a Savage with a Boyd adjustable stock get away from me ($400) b/c it didn't have a scope with it, but the adjustments on the stock could be exactly what the Dr. ordered for the neck issue. By the time I realized it: gone.

I am curious if the CZ 455/457 is really superior, or it's just in the hands/eyes of the shooter.
    If I find they are, I'll end up with one eventually, like I did the Shadow 2.

Last edited:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Just picked this up.......
    7FnCQpM.jpg

google ruger American ball point pen trigger job (you're welcome in advance!)
    ive noticed with mine, the groups get better after a few hundred rounds, I get great groups with cci standard velocity, BUT I get amazing groups with eley ammo! eley tenex gave me a dime size group at 50 feet (with 2 called flyers that opened it up to a quarter size) and just last week I got a .25 inch 10 shot group at 60 feet, and 10 moue opened it up to a 1/2 inch with eley target (the yellow box eley, it was 7.00 a box at a lgs) I posted pics in a different thread https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/468814-rimfire-bolt-action-question-12.html

ive got a cheap bushnell banner 4-16 scope that I never turn up past 10x, and it shoots like a dream, but I know guys who want those size groups at 100 yards, and they change out the barrel (green mountain seems to be the biggest choice)

but if all you want to shoot is lollypops, it'll do that till you're bored!, I love my rprr, and I always take it to the range!, oh and that eley yellow box target thru a suppressor if awesome! its quiet as a churchmouse!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I got my Picatinny rail installed yesterday for my Ruger 10/22, model 1132 Mannlicher carbine to help with having to scrunch my neck forward and to the right to see through the Nikon ProStaff 3-9 x 40 BDC scope.
    It is not any longer than the one that came with the Ruger (don't know if it is a proprietary Ruger rail or a Weaver), but it was about 1/2 inch taller.
    If this doesn't help enough, I guess I have to get taller rings, which I hear makes an issue when you change range distance.

I discovered that if I angled the rifle a bit counter-clockwise, then leveled up the crosshairs on the scope by twisting it clockwise in the rings, leveling them, I don't have to bend my neck so far to the right and combined with the little bit of rise, every little bit of tweaking hopefully will allow more pain-free range time for the neck.
    The scope is still too far forward to get the full view in the glass since it was only moved back 1/2 inch on the rings, so I have to really push the neck to get the full glass picture.
    I can try positioning the rings in a way that will allow 2 inches of moving the scope back toward my eye (if it will fit), but I am going to try to leave it alone before I take it all apart again (14 screws).

Range trip after work and will see if this set up is easier on the neck.
    It will be fun sighting it in all over.
    I only have a 50' range (16.6 yds.) at Post/Wash. but at Point Blank/Greenwood I'll have 75 feet (25 yds.) when I start going there again this summer.

I wish I could meet you there. I think adjusting your body position would be better than misalignment of the scope. If you rotate it off axis, your turret tracking will be off as well.

Check out this guy's positioning. He's straight up and down, erect and not tactical turtle style. The butt of the rifle is up high in the shoulder pocket. I think he's bladed away from the target too much though. Turning the head that far to the left can strain your neck.
    StandPosition.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I wish I could meet you there. I think adjusting your body position would be better than misalignment of the scope. If you rotate it off axis, your turret tracking will be off as well.

Check out this guy's positioning. He's straight up and down, erect and not tactical turtle style. The butt of the rifle is up high in the shoulder pocket. I think he's bladed away from the target too much though. Turning the head that far to the left can strain your neck.
    StandPosition.jpg

Appreciate the input!
    I imagine when I do get to the range with someone experienced in correct form with a rifle, I'll learn alot, just like with handguns.

His head is straight up: I envy that, since I have to lean/push my head over to get my right eye to line up with the scope.
    Then, I have to push my neck forward to see a full picture in the glass, but I was told that there is 3.5 inch "eye relief" for the Nikon.
    A couple of weeks ago when I was shooting the 10/22 it was all done on a rest and I only had to focus on my head position.
    After work, I'll find out if the tweaking I did helped any.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Hmmm .i thought " center to center" was the way to measure group. That being center of bullet hole to center of bullet hole based on farthest span inclusive of any fliers. Am on a few forums....been on others. Amazing how cheap guns scopes and ammo shoot so wonderful. Rare is a pic posted. Most of the ones that do get posted....sure as hell dont look to measure as claimed. There are some legit pics of .5 or less at 50 yards

Oddly......they dont shoot cheap stuff. Go figure

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I find it hard to find the center to center when my groups are one big ragged hole.

:pimp:

Top Bottom