• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    For around $70 i got bass pro pursuit 4-12×40 scope for my 10/22 and i love it. No problems putting together 1" groups at 100 yards and im sure it'd be great out further, just haven't shot any further distances. Held zero for well over 5k rounds and even my 6 year old groups 2" at 100yards. Good scope for the money and i just cant see spending over $100 for a plinking scope

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I put a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 on my FV-SR. I haven't used many other scopes in this price range but I though it was a nice scope for around $140 on sale. I think it's ideal for a 17hmr. A 3-9 might be a bit more appropriate for a 22lr but it's nice for punching holes in paper.
    3-9x40 is exaclty where Alan guided me for mine. It has been a great combination. Add a suppressor and you have perfection.
    Savage%20FVSR.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW Leupold will change the parallax setting on fixed parallax scopes for $25 plus shipping.
    So you could get a VX1 3-9X w 40mm front and send it in for 50 yd parallax correction and have a rimfire scope that isn't catalogued.
    Up til yesterday there was a $50 rebate on VX1's too.
    So could had one for under $200...........brand spanking new.

I thought about it, but scored a 2.5-8X VX3 I'll be sending back. It looks awesome on my '67 sporter 10/22.

I do have an older VX2 4-12X on a .243win.
    Thought about moving it to my target .22 rf.
    But being of old school look, will try to find a deal on an 8 or 10x AO Leupold.
    Prices on the older scopes, if not ring marked..........are silly high.
    Have been tempted to get a Redfield Revolution 4-12X (non AO) and send it back for 50 yard parallax conversion.
    Hate the red "R" on those scopes. It comes off with a little bit of rubbing and a paper towel slightly dampened with acetone ...........took one off a 2-7X today :)

oDbCo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 18, 2016
    Franklin/Greenwood
    I love my Burris Fullfield II in 2-7x35. It isn't specifically made for rimfire, but it works well with any caliber. I've had success with it on an 22lr rifle.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    I went with a Nikon Prostaff rimfire 4-12x with 1" medium rings on a Ruger american rimfire. I shoot it suppressed at 100 yards and am very pleased with it. I looked at the 3-9x but went with 4-12x because the other shooters that use it have declining eyesight and I thought a little bit more magnification would benefit them. I also like Nikons app to show you zero and the bullet drop compensation reticle.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I went with the Leupold VX-I 2-7x28 Rimfire scope for my Marlin 39A, and it's all that anyone could ever need.
    It has parallax adjusted to 60 yards, an ideal compromise for a .22 LR, bears the Leupold full lifetime warranty (even your grandkids or anyone else who might buy your scope in the future will still be covered), and it's made in USA.
    Yeah, yeah, I know the glass isn't made here, but the tube and mechanical components are still made here, but the only scopes with glass made in USA cost multiple thousands, and they are very few and far between.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Why is there never any intelligent discussion on glass here? These threads always go one of two ways on INGO:
    1) I have XXX scope. It's great. You should get one too.
    2) Call Alan.

OP, I'd suggest something with no plastic guts first and foremost. Second, get something with adjustable parallax. I won't put a scope on a rimfire rifle unless it has adjustable parallax due to potentially shooting at very short ranges and extending out to 200+ yards. The ability to adjust parallax down so that you aren't getting error in your sight image / reticle is something I like to make sure I have.

For your budget, that leaves:
    Vortex - Diamondback HP, Diamondback 4-12 AO, and Crossfire AO models
    Sightron - S1h 4-12 AO
    Weaver - RV9, and some Grand Slam models

Honestly, if I were you, I'd get one of these and be done with it. This is a hell of a deal and as good of a scope as you'll find for your $200 budget.
    https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-re...1-tube-3-12x42mm-dual-x-gr-reticle-matte.html

Last edited:

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Why is there never any intelligent discussion on glass here? These threads always go one of two ways on INGO:
    1) I have XXX scope. It's great. You should get one too.
    2) Call Alan.

8< 8< 8< SNIP 8< 8< 8<

Have you ever personally talked with Alan? If you have, you'd realize that there is truly no need for any discussion about what you or I or anybody else thinks about optics.

Alan sells this stuff to support his family. This isn't just a hobby for him. He tests the equipment under actual field conditions, and gives you his honest opinion of how it performs for any given task.

So, why do you think there's any value to a bunch of keyboard cowboys discussing their own biases about optics? Just to have another never ending thread with them measuring their wee-wees?

Who do you know that is active on INGO and has at least as much knowledge as Alan? These are the people that can even begin to have this intelligent discussion you seek.

The rest of us just pay the stupid tax and buy all sorts of junk until we find somebody like Alan who gives solid advice, but doesn't strong arm you into a sale. He'll gladly let you spend your money on whatever you want. Then when you finally wise up to your errors, he's still there giving you good advice.

If you haven't talked with him ... give him a call sometime. Better yet, stop by his shop to talk in person.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yeah.....fully understand all of that. Alan is great. I've dealt with him and talked about optics with him.

The reason is.....because this is a dang firearms forum. Why isn't there educated discussion on glass? Nobody is interested in learning or understanding? Should we all shut up and stop discussing firearms unless we're AllenM or the Wizard?

Oh well, I guess I'll keep going to opticstalk when I want to discuss glass.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Well, I suppose I could talk out of my ass about something I don't have a lot of knowledge of, or I could recommend someone who knows a lot more than I do.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    I went with the Leupold VX-I 2-7x28 Rimfire scope for my Marlin 39A, and it's all that anyone could ever need.
    It has parallax adjusted to 60 yards, an ideal compromise for a .22 LR, bears the Leupold full lifetime warranty (even your grandkids or anyone else who might buy your scope in the future will still be covered), and it's made in USA.
    Yeah, yeah, I know the glass isn't made here, but the tube and mechanical components are still made here, but the only scopes with glass made in USA cost multiple thousands, and they are very few and far between.

I have an old Tasco 2-7x32 on my 39A thats over 35 years old. It seems the 2-7 is the sweet spot. My Son found a Nikon 4-12 x 40 mil dot that Dad (me) had. He has it on his Savage FV-SR with his DOPE chart taped to the buttstock. He won't give it up. :D

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions.

I've perused a couple of the local sporting goods emporiums over lunch over the last couple of days and have found the following locally. I also happen to have a $15 coupon I could apply to any of the first 3 of these and I also get a little kickback for being in the emporium's "club" (I think it works out to another 3%). The price for the 4th is what it is. Anywho, the scopes in local stock are:

1. Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 (CF2-31003) - $129.99
    2. Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 (CF2-31015) - $149.99
    3. Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 (113874) - $199.99
    4. Nikon Rimfire II 3-9x40 BDC (Prostaff??) - $120

Thing is, the first 3 are all fixed parallax scopes at 100 yards, I think (as none are purpose-designed for rimfire). The parallax on the Nikon is fixed at 50 yds (but it's adjustment increment is 1/2 MOA, whereas the others are 1/4 MOA).

How significant of an issue might the parallax error be with the first 3? What might the max parallax error/deviation be, say at 50 yds (just ballpark here, I know there are a few variables involved)?

I'm sure that most of my shooting of this gun will be significantly shorter than that distance, although I don't think it has mattered much on other rifles I have.

(I've only just recently started paying attention to parallax in rifle scopes, btw. Just never used scopes much until my eyes got older the last few years.)

Based on the following threads (which make my head hurt :) ), and the kind of shooting I plan to do (less than formal), my sense is it won't matter much (practically).

will parallax really be an issue? - RimfireCentral.com Forums
    Derivation of Parallax Equation - RimfireCentral.com Forums

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Again.....Get this and be done with it. This is the best you will do with your $200 budget. This is WAY nicer than a vortex crossfire, Leupold vx1, or Nikon rimfire. WAY nicer.

I have yet to see anything nicer recommended at your budget.

Weaver Grand Slam 3-12 with SF for $199.99:
    https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-re...1-tube-3-12x42mm-dual-x-gr-reticle-matte.html
    This will have much better glass than anything you're looking at, it will repeatably track and has metal guts (no plastic), and it has side focus. This is a DAMN nice scope.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    If you have the stock comb properly adjusted to give you a consistent cheek weld, then for the shooting you've indicated that you'll be doing, you can completely ignore the whole parallax rabbit hole.

Any of the scopes you've listed, and even the scope seedubs1 is pushing (without any intelligent discussion about why that scope is sooooo much better than the others) will do just fine.

You're really overthinking this whole issue.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Still waiting to hear a better suggestion under $200. If you don't think a Weaver GS is a MUCH better scope than a CFii, vx1, or a prostaff.....well, I don't know what to tell you.

If you have the stock comb properly adjusted to give you a consistent cheek weld, then for the shooting you've indicated that you'll be doing, you can completely ignore the whole parallax rabbit hole.

Any of the scopes you've listed, and even the scope seedubs1 is pushing (without any intelligent discussion about why that scope is sooooo much better than the others) will do just fine.

You're really overthinking this whole issue.

Top Bottom