• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Best deal on the market right now is the $230 Element 2 at Capitol Armory. No FRP and lightweight. Only downfall is that the baffles aren't shielded so you need to use the push tool to get the baffles out when dirty

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Best deal on the market right now is the $230 Element 2 at Capitol Armory. No FRP and lightweight. Only downfall is that the baffles aren't shielded so you need to use the push tool to get the baffles out when dirty

What does your shop charge for a transfer fee? Just curious, some around me charge $200 others like $75.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    What does your shop charge for a transfer fee? Just curious, some around me charge $200 others like $75.

I transferred my first 2 cans at Acme in Seymour since that's where I purchased them. The 3 that I have now pending are sitting at Top Shelf Tactical in New Albany. He charges me $50 a piece for transfer if I don't purchase them from him. Currently have a Recce 7, Element 2, and a Saker ASR 556k pending

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’ve been researching as many things as I can and I think I narrowed the field some. And made a big departure from the original idea.

I’ve decided against a 22LR only can. That route either locks me into 22LRs only or buying another rimfire can, without giving back in a meaningful way. Sadly that does take the Erector off the list, it’s neat but the longer I think about it the harder it is to justify.

With that I think I’ve whittled me list down to 3: AAC Element 2, Dead Air Mask & KGMade Swarm.

Thr Element 2 is well spoken for, I don’t think I’ve read anything bad about it. Weight is low, price is low, disassembly made be harder than other choices though. Tough to beat this one.

Dead Air Mask, similar to the Element 2 that I haven’t found really anything negative for it. Worst is that it’s heavier and more expensive than the Element 2. Is there anything that makes the Mask better than the Element 2, other than maybe easier disassembly? As I type this I’m feeling like I may have just eliminated it as well, as it doesn’t seem to be offering much more code the extra $170.

KGMade Swarm - I found this on Twang-n-Bang’s YouTube channel. I’m feeling like it hits all of the right notes. In full length form is longer (6.1”) than the Element 2, but just slightly heavier (4.5oz). The shorter form (4.5”) only weighs 3oz. It’s a full titanium build. Costs about $100 more than the Element2. Does anyone have any experience/information on this one?

I’m still open to any other options people reccomend, but for now I really need to whittle the list to a manageable set.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I guess I should update this.

My wife and I spent some time last Saturday down at Terre Haute Guns working with a fellow INGO member to test for the different options feel. I know a lot of people don’t notice the extra 6 oz hanging off the rifle, but we both could tell the difference in the balance between the Mask and the lighter options. She noticed it more than I did, but it was there. Her opinion on what is easiest to handle was as equally important as the perforamnce aspect of the different cans. Having her there made the decision quite easy. I decided against the aluminum for cleaning reasons and she wasn’t fond of the heavier choices, so the KGMade Swarm is the best fit for our wants.

I recieved confirmation & pricing from the shop today that they can get the Swarm. I will probably head down on Saturday for payment/paperwork.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Can was bought and paperwork finished today. Now it’s just sit and wait.

Huge shout out to bfish for his help last Saturday trying out different cans and then again today getting it all done. Thanks for the help and thanks to those who provided feedback and opinions.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Hey guys, I’m kind of looking into this as well. I had found a lot of love for the SilencerCo Spectre II online, but didn’t see much mention of it in this thread. Thoughts?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Hey guys, I’m kind of looking into this as well. I had found a lot of love for the SilencerCo Spectre II online, but didn’t see much mention of it in this thread. Thoughts?

I like the styling of the Spectre, and haven't heard anything semi negative besides the length.

I have a friend who has one....wish I could say he's been pretty pleased with it but he hasn't shot it yet. Go figure, you wait months and months to take possession and once you do.....you don't shoot it immediately

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I looked at one. The Mask seems to be more popular and isn’t much more. Similar weight, but the Mask is an inch shorter. Both are built well and should be easy to take care of. Depends on where your priorities are for what it is worth. Neither arenas options from what I could find.

Adjusted for taxes, I paid the same for my KG Swarm as Silencer Shop lists the Spectre II. The Swarm has the advantage of a full titanium build and is modular. So the 6” configuration is 4.5oz and the 4.5” configuration is 3oz. Both configurations are hearing safe on a rifle, not sure on a pistol as that isn’t a primary use for me.

Depending on your use & circumstances, the weight and length may or may not matter. When my wife and we’re trying different options, we found the length and weight were more easily noticed than a short & heavy or long & light.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I picked up my Swarm yesterday. I’m thrilled with it and am very glad I made the decision I did.

Inital impressions:
    -Build quality is top notch. All the threads move easily. No burrs or sticking points.
    -Even with the light weight, I noticed the balance point changed on my VQ/Ruger MkIII build. It’s not bad, just shifted forward.
    -Short or long configuration wasn’t noticeable on my TacSol X-ring.
    -No issue with gas blowback on my pistol
    -There was gas blowback with the X-ring
    -Sound was hard to quantify at an indoor range, but it broight the noise down to where I could hear the bullet hit the cardboard target over the noise of the action. I’ll have a better idea when I can get to an outdoor range.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I picked up my Swarm yesterday. I’m thrilled with it and am very glad I made the decision I did.

Inital impressions:
    -Build quality is top notch. All the threads move easily. No burrs or sticking points.
    -Even with the light weight, I noticed the balance point changed on my VQ/Ruger MkIII build. It’s not bad, just shifted forward.
    -Short or long configuration wasn’t noticeable on my TacSol X-ring.
    -No issue with gas blowback on my pistol
    -There was gas blowback with the X-ring
    -Sound was hard to quantify at an indoor range, but it broight the noise down to where I could hear the bullet hit the cardboard target over the noise of the action. I’ll have a better idea when I can get to an outdoor range.

Saw your stamp came in! Happy to hear you're liking it so well! KGmade has really been putting out some great stuff!

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    For me I prefer at least steel baffles so u can clean them very easily. I just drop them in wet tumbler with ss pins and after couple hours the baffles look like brand new. Remember with .22lr you’re going to get lead fouling on baffles along with the carbon buildup and the ss pins do a great job in removing all that; can’t do that with aluminum baffles. I had aluminum then upgraded to ss, yeas they add some weight but well worth the trade off imho.

Scenarfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2018
    Hamilton County
    I went with the Takedown 22 from Thunderbeast. I ordered it from Silencer Shop using their Single Shot trust. They showed Point Blank in Carmel as one of their Powered dealers so when I get the call that the tax stamp is in, I won’t have to pay any transfer fees. But I’m sitting on my hands until August or September.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    For me I prefer at least steel baffles so u can clean them very easily. I just drop them in wet tumbler with ss pins and after couple hours the baffles look like brand new. Remember with .22lr you’re going to get lead fouling on baffles along with the carbon buildup and the ss pins do a great job in removing all that; can’t do that with aluminum baffles. I had aluminum then upgraded to ss, yeas they add some weight but well worth the trade off imho.

Yep, that’s why I went with titanium.

HarleyMason

Marksman
    Rating - 92.6%
    25   2   0
    Mar 7, 2019
    Roanoke
    Anyone know if Huntertown is still in business? I bought a titanium .22 can from my LGS last year. Threads right on to my 22/45, matches the barrel perfectly, next to no weight. I also shoot with it on my 10/22. Aquila subsonic rounds through it, the only sound is the bolt cycling and target impact. Very happy with the quality.

Top Bottom