• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    We're not so bad (or maybe I just drank the koolaid). The usual wrist slappings involve people parking big boats in the driveway and blocking sidewalks.

I believe they have their place...the one I dealt with though was 'managed' by a retired Army Property Manager...a couple days after we moved in the wife and I were out clearing the front yard to put a lawn in and he wandered by asking us when we were going to bring the place up to standards...he almost died that day.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Not to totally thread jack, but I wish people that wanted to trailers and boats would have the same mentality and determination. They knew the rules when they moved in...

For us, the trailer came later. We had no need for one 14 years ago. 7 years ago, that need changed. HOA's don't allow for people's lives to change. That I don't agree with. If you're going to restrict things like that, you better have some place free to store them IMO. Otherwise, GFY*. Life happens, things change, peoples lives change. Being unwilling to allow that to me is just unreasonable.

*yourself being the royal you, not you personally.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    For us, the trailer came later. We had no need for one 14 years ago. 7 years ago, that need changed. HOA's don't allow for people's lives to change. That I don't agree with. If you're going to restrict things like that, you better have some place free to store them IMO. Otherwise, GFY*. Life happens, things change, peoples lives change. Being unwilling to allow that to me is just unreasonable.

*yourself being the royal you, not you personally.
    I don't take it personal, no worries. I fully understand that being an HOA officer puts me in league with circa AD 0 tax collectors. I just try to follow the guidelines of Luke 3:12-13.

And don't take it personal when I say, "Why should everyone's expectation of the neighborhood have to change because your personal needs change? Or why should the HOA spend (your neighbors') money when you decide the rules no longer are agreeable?"

d80hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Hope
    I am too far out in the country but still prepared. The way I see it is the rioters would have already looted their fill and returned home because they got hungry. Farming would be too much work for the kind of people who expect a lot and throw tantrums when they don't get their way.

But in case things go south I have a nice location. My driveway is long and has a bridge to access the property. It provides a nice little funnel that would prove disastrous for an unprepared mob. Not to mention my neighbors share the same driveway and are also able to put up a fight.

I feel for those living in close to large cities. I would have a good game plan and escape route prepared.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In my neighborhood...those, whom I knew, who would stand together, have left (moved away)...and some of the newbies...haven't (and probably won't) spend a lot of time getting involved with...it's just not the same neighborhood as when I moved-in nearly 16 years ago!

Man I know how this works.
    We had a tight group on our street.
    Times change. People have kids and want them in good schools and away from the madness.
    We are not alone as the folks around us are decent people. The issue is those A$$Hats that rent and their friends.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    PoP
    This is my street:

1512650_10202046695061961_1540420721_n.jpg

If there's a riot there, the world is screwed. :D There's a reason (or 20) we moved out here. That is one of them. No neighbors = no riots. Also, I can be on my porch in my tighty whities and no one complains.

Those trees could provide concealment and cover for an advancing mob. Better take them down.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Do you actually HAVE rock salt shotshells?

I've never known ANYONE EVER that actually had them.

I have seen them. When I was a kid, several of the dads in my neighborhood had them. They do seem to have lost favor, but I thought I saw them last year at Knob Creek. I saw lots of fun stuff there for shotguns, including Dragon's Breath. The Dragon's Breath is lots of fun!

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    My Alamo is two hours away. So if it got bad enough that we went there then I don't hold out much hope for humanity. But we could survive. It has 17" thick walls and roof made from concrete and loaded with rebar. The well and geothermal is in the basement. The basement walls and ceiling are over 25" think. The basement can be closed off and survived in even if the main floor is overrun. My uncle is a bored engineer when he isn't at his shop that he owns. Him and one of his subordinates built it to see if they could do it. We feel they did a great job considering they were 83 when they started and 85 when they finished it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My Alamo is two hours away. So if it got bad enough that we went there then I don't hold out much hope for humanity. But we could survive. It has 17" thick walls and roof made from concrete and loaded with rebar. The well and geothermal is in the basement. The basement walls and ceiling are over 25" think. The basement can be closed off and survived in even if the main floor is overrun. My uncle is a bored engineer when he isn't at his shop that he owns. Him and one of his subordinates built it to see if they could do it. We feel they did a great job considering they were 83 when they started and 85 when they finished it.

Bravo.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Living inside Marion County, I have given this some thought and pause. Im more concerned with getting home, through town. I have multiple routes I can take driving, if forced into grey-man and walking, my options are far more limited.

I wouldn't count on my neighbors to lift a finger in the event of a riot. I can tell you the name of one of them and he's elderly. My hope is that I'm far enough from the urban sprawl, that riots wouldn't reach my house.

Greyson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2016
    Irvington/Indy
    Being able to bug-in and/or bug/out is a good thing. Surviving at your chosen location is a great thing for you and the family.
    What about your neighbors and the larger community? Your State? From your position of strength, have you got plans to process the invaders, re-start trade, restore schools and possibly elections?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Being able to bug-in and/or bug/out is a good thing. Surviving at your chosen location is a great thing for you and the family.
    What about your neighbors and the larger community? Your State? From your position of strength, have you got plans to process the invaders, re-start trade, restore schools and possibly elections?

Schooling - Yes, why would we ever stop? Seems the subject matter might change though.
    Trade - Yes, I've got alcohol and bullets...who's bringing the bbq?
    Elections - not when I'm the king

Top Bottom