• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Suicide sucks. I hate to see anyone go down that road regardless of their politics. I think its less than fully humane to decide who to have compassion for based upon their political opinions.

Depression, anxiety...it's horrible. If you've never been in a place so dark it looks insurmountable, I say congratulations, but I feel real empathy for those who are there or have been there...and I have very little empathy as a rule.

Sad to see anyone get to the point where they think this is the best way to go.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Uh... at the risk of being awkward, when I hear of a dude committing suicide by hanging... uh... well... it may not have been intentional.

David Carradine is an example.

I was only passingly familiar with Mr. Bourdain's work. He seemed like an enthusiastic consumer of things that other people thought were strange. I am not like that, but can respect it. I had a sense that he may've been caught up in the trappings of C-level celebrity, and worldly attachments like that can lead to bad judgment.

I pray for his soul and for his family.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    He was a jerk. Sometimes a darn funny one.
    His self exit doesn't surprise me.
    Last shows I saw he was more inked and more lib...........figured he was about to combust.

Still popular...........no crimes exposed................went out while on top.

Now just waiting for Seth Myers to follow (not funny, no talent............shoulda been gone a long time ago)..

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    He was a jerk. Sometimes a darn funny one.
    His self exit doesn't surprise me.
    Last shows I saw he was more inked and more lib...........figured he was about to combust.

Still popular...........no crimes exposed................went out while on top.

Now just waiting for Seth Myers to follow (not funny, no talent............shoulda been gone a long time ago)..

What's wrong with ink (assuming int isn't face, hands, neck)?

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I beg to differ on the "selfishness" issue. My brother committed suicide when he was 23. (I was 18.) He spent some time in Vietnam that messed him up in more ways than one. When he came back he was a different person. I was heartbroken that he was in such despair that he felt his only recourse was to take his own life. I think when you're in that mindset, you aren't thinking about anything but being "done".

Last edited:

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I beg to differ on the "selfishness" issue. My brother committed suicide when he was 23. (I was 18.) He spent some time in Vietnam that messed him up in more ways than one. When he came back he was a different person. I was heartbroken that he was in such despair that he felt his only recourse was to take his own life. I think when you're in that mindset, you are thinking about anything but being "done".

I agree. I hear people say that a lot but I usually just figure they have never been that close to someone who made that choice. I know for a fact and from personal experience....many times at their darkest moments, they are thinking of others and pain they are causing others by making that choice. There thoughts are not on themselves. I wouldn't classify that as selfishness.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I beg to differ on the "selfishness" issue. My brother committed suicide when he was 23. (I was 18.) He spent some time in Vietnam that messed him up in more ways than one. When he came back he was a different person. I was heartbroken that he was in such despair that he felt his only recourse was to take his own life. I think when you're in that mindset, you are thinking about anything but being "done".

+1

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

I agree. There are also those that think that they are sparing their loved ones the hassle of having to deal with them. Not great reasoning, but not selfish.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Things like suicide, addiction, etc. are often not so easily assignable to a single cause. I like much of what Matt Walsh writes and those that believe like he and I do tend to see causes for some of these awful human failings, at least in part, in emptiness...the faulty belief that things of this world is all we need. If anyone who reads this and is a suicidal state of mind, please consider looking outward, look beyond what this world has told you will make you whole, happy, or fulfilled.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/3162...content=062316-podcast&utm_campaign=mattwalsh

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I agree. I hear people say that a lot but I usually just figure they have never been that close to someone who made that choice. I know for a fact and from personal experience....many times at their darkest moments, they are thinking of others and pain they are causing others by making that choice. There thoughts are not on themselves. I wouldn't classify that as selfishness.

My apologies I wasn't making a comment about suicide, just about the one post that I hope I misinterpreted. (waiting for an answer).

I misspoke; I know do better.

I too have been affected and to this day just want to know "why" when from my perspective it looked like everything was getting so much better. The kid had his demons, but there was nothing selfish about him at all.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    My apologies I wasn't making a comment about suicide, just about the one post that I hope I misinterpreted. (waiting for an answer).

I misspoke; I know do better.

I too have been affected and to this day just want to know "why" when from my perspective it looked like everything was getting so much better. The kid had his demons, but there was nothing selfish about him at all.

While I appreciate your caring and thoughtfulness, you need not feel bad my friend. We all have different thoughts on this subject. I didn't even look at who posted that when I made my response. Maybe I am the flawed one, my own dad use to use the term selfish when talking about my mother and I just never liked it....perhaps that has left my view soured and skewered. There are instances where one takes other lives then their own life, that I would classify as selfish....but again, just my opinion on it. Of course, now that I think about it as I was writing....when they take their own life, I guess they do take a little part of us with them.

My older sister, who is well educated and a lot smarter than I will ever be.....asks me to this day why, why didn't we see it coming, why would she do that? There are very few things in this life I don't have an opinion or answer for, but that is one question I just don't have an answer for. I don't think any of us will ever understand why or how someone we love can become so distraught they do this. In my mother's case, I know what caused her to do it, but I still don't know why she did it.

Jetta, I wish you the best buddy. I really mean that. I know it's hard to deal with questions and the loss...but just know that you are not alone and have many people keeping you in their thoughts and prayers. Wishing you the best buddy.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Generally speaking, people shouldn't beat themselves up over 'why couldn't we see it coming'. I've lost two family members to suicide. My brother-in-law was bi-polar his whole life and refused to get help with it; when he was in a low ebb, he was abusive to other people, mostly his family and extended family, plus he drank a lot. When he hung himself, it was tragic, but not totally unexpected, and the family moved on.

My nephew from the opposite side of my family, on the other hand, was a young man with a great career, beautiful girlfriend, and a bright future. He made a couple mistakes involving alcohol and other substances, went on a weekend bender where he did things he wasn't proud of, and shot himself on the following Tuesday. The family was devastated, heartbroken, and his immediate family has not fully recovered to this day, over a year past.

The only thing in common with these two was substance abuse, so that's one area that people can at least be aware when a family member is at risk. Other than this, there are, many times, no rhyme or reason behind suicides. My best wishes to all here who have suffered these type of losses.

As to Anthony B., I always admired what he could put into his stomach and survive it, and enjoyed his interaction with people from different lands, and the way he showed that mostly, we're all just people trying to enjoy life, no matter where you're at or what you eat.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Some self exits are logical. Some are not.
    Their life, their choice.
    If you cared about 'em..........it sucks no matter how or when they leave.

But..............some choose to go out while mentally and physically able to make choices for themselves.

They don't want to be a burden to others in their decline.

And some folks just get tired and want to power down (become weary).

Have read where some guys think life more precious the older they get.
    I think it the opposite.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Bourdain's show was entertaining at times, some episodes in fact quite good.
    His self exit came as no surprise.
    Not sure why, but saw him wandering over "that way".

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Bourdain's show was entertaining at times, some episodes in fact quite good.
    His self exit came as no surprise.
    Not sure why, but saw him wandering over "that way".

Well, he was heroin addict... so smack probably fried his brain. I never saw him, as other as mentioned, as some sort of self-absorbed narcissist. He always seemed interested in other people and everything about them, and he wasn't shy about talking about his failing, and the dirt from his past. Unlike say Gordon Ramsey, I've never heard of people complain about how he treated them. In fact, I've heard that he would endlessly shake hands, sign autographs, and do stuff other celebs would think bothersome or annoying.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Only knew he admitted to smoking a lot of weed when younger (said it on one of his shows).
    Did not know of other drugs.
    Artsy fartsy..........maybe more prone to self exit.
    Gave him a pass back in the day.
    But then saw changes last few shows i caught..........said " he's gonna split".

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Only knew he admitted to smoking a lot of weed when younger (said it on one of his shows).
    Did not know of other drugs.
    Artsy fartsy..........maybe more prone to self exit.
    Gave him a pass back in the day.
    But then saw changes last few shows i caught..........said " he's gonna split".

Hell, he smoked weed ON his show!

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    People always say it's selfish of someone to commit suicide. I suppose that could be. But I think there are also many times when it's selfish for others to expect a person to stick around against their own wishes.

Top Bottom