• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I do handwritten notes all the time, but I don't write in cursive. I print, because it's easier to read. My parents both have beautiful cursive handwriting, but my printing is still easier to read. I'm all for kicking it to the curb in the name of clarity.

I block print everything. It's been 25-30 years since I needed to write in cursive. I was always bad at cursive but years of mechanical engineering classes taught me to block print and I get compliments on how legible my handwriting is because of it.

I PRINT IN ALL CAPS WHEN I WRITE BY HAND.

any time i write by hand, i have to print. my cursive is terrible, i have had trouble deciphering it at times. i can write faster than i can print, but if someone else needs to read it, i print. honestly, my printing is pretty bad too.

I darn-near had to repeat the 3rd grade (around 1979) because my cursive was so horrible. Thank heaven I'm a technical guy and type 99% of my stuff and the remaining 1% is written in block-style capital letters.

I have handwriting even doctors can't decipher. When I try to do cursive its even worse.

Good riddance to something that went out of style before computers ever came around.

Sounds more like a problem of implementation than methodology.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    :oldwise: Once upon a time, a child was taught how to hold a pencil or crayon. They began teaching the grip as early as Kindergarten. The child knew the correct way to hold the tool before learning how to form the letters. Watch how a child ( or even some adults) holds a pen or pencil. It's no wonder they cannot write legibly. I have been told by Kindergarten teachers that they shouldn't correct the way a child holds a pencil or crayon. :rolleyes: I do not know why.
    IMHO Mrs.XV is correct. So much time is spent in 90 minute blocks on math and languge arts skills, there is very little time for anything else. Cram it in their heads for an extended period of time and they will learn it. That has changed.
    :oldwise: In the old days, I went to school at 8:00am and was dismissed at 4:00pm. (That was later reduced to 3:45) We also had a couple of recess times to unwind and be ready for the afternoon learning.
    It's hard to watch the little ones try to concentrate for a prolonged period of time. Heck, INGOers don't spend all of their work hours at "work." A lot of them post on INGO at work. :)
    The problem starts with the time to teach in the early grades. Unfortunately, a lot of the time is spent on data collecting, ie. TESTS.

I cannot imagine learning a skill without the proper basics. It's like trying to learn to shoot without understanding sight picture, grip, stance, etc. Oh wait... gangsta grip is in vogue. :n00b:

Last edited:

23mar03

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    This is one more chip off the our foundation.
    Pretty soon the "experts" will say that we don't have to write out full words, because people understand slang words.(lol, ROTFL, etc)
    If we give up the basics, how can we master the harder things?

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    I don't see the issue with dropping cursive. I'm 30 and because I switched schools when it was first being taught at my school, and it was done being taught at the school I moved to I never really learned it. I learned to sign my name, but that's about it. I can't really read cursive either. When I joined the military I stopped signing my name and started "making my mark". I think in today's world learning how to use a keyboard is more important than learning cursive. I don't know of ANYONE who writes in cursive. If you can't type on a keyboard, it's very difficult to type a paper, which is required in school (or at least college). Cursive is not required by anyone any where that I know of.

You say we're losing our fundamental foundations? I say cursive isn't a part of that. Liberty, is a fundamental foundation. If you want your children to learn cursive, then teach it to them if you think it's so important. Stop relying on the school systems to teach everything you want. I don't rely on the school system to educate my children in politics or how they should live their lives.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    One of the kids this week on Jeopardy typed his answer to the Final Jeopardy question. I assumed it to be because he didn't know how to write, he seemed to be physically normal and otherwise capable.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I cannot use cursive for anything. At work it is either typed on the computer or PRINTED in black ink. I don't hand write letters, I send e-mail. I can certainly print out my cards I send out or give out. It is a new age we are in. Removing that does not mean the kids will turn out dumb. My son (5th grade) was taught very little cursive in school. He reads/writes at a 11th grade level and math at a 8th or so. Hell, he loves reading Michio Kaku's books. I have no fear that his inability to proficiently write in cursive will "damage him in life". Like it or not, the world is evolving, some things change. This form of hand writing is just outmoded and will sit alongside calligraphy as an art form rather than a daily form of communication.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    One of the kids this week on Jeopardy typed his answer to the Final Jeopardy question. I assumed it to be because he didn't know how to write, he seemed to be physically normal and otherwise capable.
    See, I think people are equating "no cursive" to equal "no handwriting". Kids are taught to print in school. Once they were good at that, they were taught cursive. It is the cursive that is getting dropped...not handwriting all together.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    I cannot use cursive for anything. At work it is either typed on the computer or PRINTED in black ink. I don't hand write letters, I send e-mail. I can certainly print out my cards I send out or give out. It is a new age we are in. Removing that does not mean the kids will turn out dumb. My son (5th grade) was taught very little cursive in school. He reads/writes at a 11th grade level and math at a 8th or so. Hell, he loves reading Michio Kaku's books. I have no fear that his inability to proficiently write in cursive will "damage him in life". Like it or not, the world is evolving, some things change. This form of hand writing is just outmoded and will sit alongside calligraphy as an art form rather than a daily form of communication.

:thumbsup:

great post.

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I also heard they are tending to de-emphasize spelling because of the [STRIKE]proliferance[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]proleferance[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]prolifura[/STRIKE]...

Because of the spread of spell checkers. :n00b:

Does this mean that spell check will need to issue a program update to recognize txt language?

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Yup, there is no reason for our children or grandchildren to learn how to read the Constitution or the Declaration of Independence for themselves, when they have plenty of volunteers who are willing, nay eager to interpret the writing on those important documents for them.

+1, i'd rep you, but, i'm all out!

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I guess I'm the only one that still actually writes letters and postcards anymore.

Nope I still use cursive everyday. Unfortunately, it seems as though I will have to conform and switch to block, now that in a few years none of my employee's will be able to read anything I write. I guess I need to apply for some classes in short hand or maybe txting lingo!

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    lol. The constitution has already been transliterated from cursive to print. The document is available online in numerous places, and they are all print text font. How exactly is it that there will be an inability to read the constitution? Also, if the skill of reading and writing the cursive font is that important, could you not teach it yourself at home?

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    lol. The constitution has already been transliterated from cursive to print. The document is available online in numerous places, and they are all print text font. How exactly is it that there will be an inability to read the constitution? Also, if the skill of reading and writing the cursive font is that important, could you not teach it yourself at home?

Bingo. If you want them to learn it, teach them. I've taught my kids.

Schools are being held accountable for reading, writing, math, science, and social studies. Not handwriting. Besides, my personal opinion is that it just simply isn't used for much other than short notes or signatures anymore. I do 99% of my writing on a computer. I'm now teaching my older kids keyboarding. They'll know it already by the time the school gets to it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I only write personal notes and such with cursive...mainly because it is darned near illegible to anyone else. I find it faster than block printing, though, so I keep on using it :D

Top Bottom