• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    RIP Loretta....

I'm gonna share a Loretta Lynn story.....

In 1980 we had a camping "staycation" and just drove down to Tennessee....Smokies the first week and then Nashville and finish off with four days at Loretta Lynn's Dude Ranch and campground she'd just opened up in Hurricane Mills, TN....

I was 15 years old and had my learners permit...

Now mom used to always brag that "I was pregnant with you the same time Loretta Lynn was pregnant with her twins...I bet we'll see them at Hurricane Mills.....

And we did....

My brother and I wanted to go try to catch some trout down by the mill pond....it was a couple of miles down the road from the campground, which was up on top of a hill...I asked dad if he would drive us down there...he thought a minute and said, "you turn 16 in a month...this is private property...if you promise not to drive like a maniac you and your brother can take the truck down to the mill pond and fish for a couple of hours.."

Then tossed me the keys....

It was a beautiful moment...I was nervous but excited...my brother and I got to the bottom of the hill and onto the main road, tooling along at the property speed limit...

in the rearview mirror I saw a Mustang rapidly approaching and within minutes it was on my a$$...a cute girl, about my age, behind the wheel...rolling her eyes...goosing her engine...

I was livid....I thought. "what kind of a$$hole disrespects Loretta Lynn's property in such a way???"

I can hear AC/DC thumping from the speakers of her car....I finally can pull over a little in front of Loretta's house to let the Mustang pass....

I look over and this beautiful girl waves, smiles at me...

then floors it....spraying loose gravel as she does.....

I shake my head and my brother and I continue our drive to the mill pond...

When we get there we see the Mustang driving ON THE GRASS down to the bank!!! which is a big no no...there's even a sign saying so.....she guns it down to the water's edge...slams the brakes and parks like she's done this a million times...

She removes her tank top and is down to a pair of Daisy Duke's and a bikini top...she casts her line way out into the mill pond (Zebco 33 reel iirc) and places it on the ground...

She then goes to the hatchback of the 'stang, opens it and places two huge stereo speakers up at an angle....keeping the hatchback from closing, leans in the driver's side and pushes "play" on her stereo...

I hear the intro to Highway to Hell start in on the speaker...she looks up at my brother and I...smiles and hollers, "ain't y'all gonna fish?"

"no ma'am...not today..."

My brother is incensed...."that girl ain't gonna catch no fish being that loud.."

I smiled down at him and said, 'c'mon kid...let's go into the camp store and get a Coke or something...."

We later met Mooney and eventually both of the twins.....

Loretta Lynn was a big part of my family' life...so much so when she opened her property to strangers to camp on...we took her up on it...

RIP Coal Miner's Daughter....you raised some good ones....

See if you can guess which one listened to AC/DC and drover her Mustang like an Indy driver????

I swear that's the same tank top she had on that day.... 1664895999471.png

1664895922200.png

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    RIP Loretta....

In 1980 we had a camping "staycation" and just drove down to Tennessee....Smokies the first week and then Nashville and finish off with four days at Loretta Lynn's Dude Ranch and campground she'd just opened up in Hurricane Mills, TN....

Now mom used to always brag that "I was pregnant with you the same time Loretta Lynn was pregnant with her twins...I bet we'll see them at Hurricane Mills.....

And we did....

My brother and I wanted to go try to catch some trout down by the mill pond....it was a couple of miles down the road from the campground, which was up on top of a hill...I asked dad if he would drive us down there...he thought a minute and said, "you turn 16 in a month...this is private property...if you promise not to drive like a maniac you and your brother can take the truck down to the mill pond and fish for a couple of hours.."

It was a beautiful moment...I was nervous but excited...my brother and I got to the bottom of the hill and onto the main road, tooling along at the property speed limit...

in the rearview mirror I saw a Mustang rapidly approaching and within minutes it was on my a$$...a cute girl, about my age, behind the wheel...rolling her eyes...goosing her engine...

I was livid....I thought. "what kind of a$$hole disrespects Loretta Lynn's property in such a way???"

I can hear AC/DC thumping from the speakers of her car....I finally can pull over a little in front of Loretta's house to let the Mustang pass....

When we get there we see the Mustang driving ON THE GRASS down to the bank!!! which is a big no no...there's even a sign saying so.....she guns it down to the water's edge...slams the brakes and parks like she's done this a million times...

She removes her tank top and is down to a pair of Daisy Duke's and a bikini top...she casts her line way out into the mill pond (Zebco 33 reel iirc) and places it on the ground...

She then goes to the hatchback of the 'stang, opens it and places two huge stereo speakers up at an angle....keeping the hatchback from closing, leans in the driver's side and pushes "play" on her stereo...

I hear the intro to Highway to Hell start in on the speaker...she looks up at my brother and I...smiles and hollers, "ain't y'all gonna fish?"

My brother is incensed...."that girl ain't gonna catch no fish being that loud.."

I smiled down at him and said, 'c'mon kid...let's go into the camp store and get a Coke or something...."

Loretta Lynn was a big part of my family' life...so much so when she opened her property to strangers to camp on...we took her up on it...

See if you can guess which one listened to AC/DC and drover her Mustang like an Indy driver????

I swear that's the same tank top she had on that day.... View attachment 228307

View attachment 228306
    Great story!

And Allis Chalmers people to boot!

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Great story!

And Allis Chalmers people to boot!
    His story and pics remind me of the joke about the old guy finds a frog that says if he kisses it, it will become a beautiful princess. Old guy puts the frog in his pocket and says, get to be my age you would rather have a talking frog.

I want the AC tractor…

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    His story and pics remind me of the joke about the old guy finds a frog that says if he kisses it, it will become a beautiful princess. Old guy puts the frog in his pocket and says, get to be my age you would rather have a talking frog.

I want the AC tractor…

I want the AC tractor…

Maybe so...

But the twins still look pretty good though....

One time a Texas Ranger by the name of Walker rescued them from harms way...
    1664901283603.png 1664901319433.png

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    II was more of an AC/DC fan than a Loretta fan (musically). But I hate to hear of her passing. Growing up in Tennessee, she was definitely a part of my life. God rest your soul, Loretta.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    RIP Loretta....

And we did....

I swear that's the same tank top she had on that day.... View attachment 228307

View attachment 228306
    I miss hanging out in your shop and hearing these stories in person!

***Ironhead***

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Morgan county

I want the AC tractor…
    Sorry, but nothing beats a talking frog

Top Bottom