• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Voldemort

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indiana
    Not surprising really. Ruger has done this more than once. SP101 in 9mm and PC9. Now SR9. I think they've dump a couple of their LCP or LC9 models too. It's like slinging mud and seeing what sticks. Throw a bunch of products on the market and after a year if sales aren't that great then just discontinue it. Sorry to those that bought into those products cause in 10yrs there won't be any support. Need mag parts? Need replacement springs? "Sorry, we only made that gun for 14 months like 10yrs ago and we don't make any parts for it now."

and no other brand changes product models and updates

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    And just like that they're baaack! Apparently Sports South placed a large enough order to get Ruger to reissue the SR line.
    Still have the mag disconnect feature and loaded chamber indicator that people hated. But now only the compact models have front slide serations.
    They are being offered at pretty competitive prices. I checked Centerfire Guns website and they have them at $302.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Wow... Is their replacement (Security-9) not selling that well? The Ruger American is noticeably more expensive, so it doesn't compete directly. I really like my SR and have no plans to drop it.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I had a SR45 for a short time, I remember the takedown being ackward.

Assuming that the 45 is the same as the 9, I found the takedown odd (push down the ejector and remove the pin) but easier than pulling down the very tiny serated tabs while simultaneously pulling back the slide on a Glock. That seems like the equivelent of patting your head while rubbing your stomach. And there's no pulling the trigger.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Missed out on the Sr9 sale last year at point blank when the full sizes was $300, so I made sure to grab the compact that was on sale this weekend.
    Long term I can’t say, but initially this gun punches well above its weight class. I can shoot the SR9c as well as my Glock 17. It points naturally for me and the trigger is pretty good as far as striker fired pistols go.

it is definitely worth the price of admission.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2019
    Carmel
    My first ever 9mm full size was a SR9. I really liked that pistol. IMO because the SR9 was not a tacti-cool pistol it never got the traction or recognition that other pistols got. But such is the story of many Ruger pistols.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Looks like they're still readily available and prices are low!

Yep, $284 for an SR9 with stainless slide or a 9c with black slide. If I saw a 9c at a local gun store for that price I'd probably bite. I'm still regretting selling my 9c to a buddy. I've thought a few times about selling my full size SR9 but just can't bring myself to do it. It'll probably wind up a home protection gun for one of my kids, eventually. I shoot pretty well with my Glocks, which are my carry guns, but I still shoot slightly better with that old SR9, even when I haven't shot it for over a year.

I'm glad to see they are back. It still compares well to the competition, especially when price is considered, IMO.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yep, $284 for an SR9 with stainless slide or a 9c with black slide. If I saw a 9c at a local gun store for that price I'd probably bite. I'm still regretting selling my 9c to a buddy. I've thought a few times about selling my full size SR9 but just can't bring myself to do it. It'll probably wind up a home protection gun for one of my kids, eventually. I shoot pretty well with my Glocks, which are my carry guns, but I still shoot slightly better with that old SR9, even when I haven't shot it for over a year.

I'm glad to see they are back. It still compares well to the competition, especially when price is considered, IMO.

I think they're fine guns that never got the respect or attention they actually deserved. I was going to sell mine, but the prices for new guns are just too low right now.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I think they're fine guns that never got the respect or attention they actually deserved. I was going to sell mine, but the prices for new guns are just too low right now.

I agree 100%. After about 500 to 600 rounds, the triggers on mine became very good. I probably have 1200 rounds or so through my SR9 and I still think the trigger is much smoother and better in pretty much every way than my Glock 19, which has about the same round count through it. I've also never had a hiccup of any kind with any of the three SRs I've had. (2 SR9s and 1 SR9c).

Of course this conversation has me wanting to dust off that SR9 and put a few rounds through it once again. I don't think I've shot it in probably 16 or 18 months. Heck, it might even have been a full 2 years.

The SR9 has sentimental value for me, too. It was my first handgun purchase for carry.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I agree 100%. After about 500 to 600 rounds, the triggers on mine became very good. I probably have 1200 rounds or so through my SR9 and I still think the trigger is much smoother and better in pretty much every way than my Glock 19, which has about the same round count through it. I've also never had a hiccup of any kind with any of the three SRs I've had. (2 SR9s and 1 SR9c).

Of course this conversation has me wanting to dust off that SR9 and put a few rounds through it once again. I don't think I've shot it in probably 16 or 18 months. Heck, it might even have been a full 2 years.

The SR9 has sentimental value for me, too. It was my first handgun purchase for carry.

I hadn't seen mine for a few years! I had two at one time, but I sold one a couple of years ago to a friend who really liked them. I am currently liquidating assets and it seemed like a good choice to sell since I never use it. I'd be lucky to $225 for it at this time, which isn't a viable deal for me.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    SR45 should have came out with at least a 13rd magazine. Ruger needs to stop catering to communist utopia states and build for the rest of America.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I enjoyed the SR9 platform for years. Then I decided to try to like and learn how to shoot Glocks, a process that started with a G27 then a G43, a 17, 19, 19X and a 34. I tried all sizes but still they did not fit me well or did I shoot them well and I do shoot often. Then one day recently I visited a LGS and in the used case is a lnib SR9 full size for less than RK out the door. I purchased it and now am back where I started many purchases ago, but it was a fun trip and is a great hobby.

Top Bottom